The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 03-01-2000, 07:15 PM

I know it's hard to explain Far Side panels, but let's try.

My favorites are:

There's a field of cows and some cars driving by. The cows are yelling at the cars, "Yak, yak, yak, yak..."

Captain Hook is on one side with a phone to his ear. The Crocodile is on the other side saying in to his phone, "Tick, tock, tick, tock."

This guy is in hell, walking and whistling happily. One devil says to another, "We're just not getting to that guy."
Advertisements  
Old 03-01-2000, 07:26 PM

Gotta be the one with two polar bears.. one is lifting an igloo and the other is standing looking dumbfounded while the eskimo makes a clean getaway... the caption reads.. "I lift.. you grab.. Was that concept just a little too complex for you to grasp?"

Ever since, whenever someone has that same dumbfounded look...those are the words that flow out of my mouth

------------------
I really try to be good but it just isn't in my nature!
Old 03-01-2000, 07:45 PM

I hear you fancy yourself a tuba player....

------------------
http://www.madpoet.com
Clerks - Just because they serve you doesn't mean they like you.
Old 03-01-2000, 07:50 PM

How 'bought the polar bears and igloos ...
And the one one bear saying ...
Mmmmmmm , crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside.

------------------
A point in every direction is like no point at all
Old 03-01-2000, 07:55 PM

Mine is "Graffiti in Hell", where you see the Devil throwing a hissy fit after reading some of the graffiti:

Satan is a warm and tender guy

For a pleasant conversation, call Satan 555-1232

Hey! You call this hot?

------------------
"I thought: opera, how hard can it be? Songs. Pretty girls dancing. Nice scenery. Lots of people handing over cash. Got to be better than the cut-throat world of yoghurt, I thought." - Seldom Bucket
Old 03-01-2000, 07:56 PM

1.When Einstein writes a whole board full of equations and comes to the conclusion that time=$

2.When the goofy kid is so happy that is thingy arrived in mail. (Wish my thingy would get here!)

------------------

watch what you say
or they'll be calling
you a radical,
a liberal,fanatical
a criminal.....
Old 03-01-2000, 08:02 PM

The one with the two spiders spinning a web at the bottom end of a playground slide, with one saying to the other "if we can pull this off, we'll eat like kings".
Old 03-01-2000, 08:10 PM

1. The birds'-eye view of the world, where everyone has bull's-eyes painted on their heads.

2. What really happened to Elvis (Elvis makes a stop at the Bates Motel)

3. Scotty in Hell ("Satan, it's the main megafurnace! I don't think she can take it much longer!")
Old 03-01-2000, 08:12 PM
BANNED

Two houses side by side, with fences around them, and signe identifing them. The one on the left has dog-like animals milling about and the sign 'Ed's Dingo Farm'. On the right the fence is full of babies with the sign 'Doreen's Nursury'. The caption read: Trouble Brewing

The other showed a large glass window, like you'd find in a recording studio, set in a rock wall. In the foreground sits the devil, holding and surrounded by New Age albums. Behind the glass is a black man, arms stretched across the window, a crazed expression on his face. He obviously doesn't care for the sound.
That captio: Charlie Parker's Private Hell

------------------
I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
Old 03-01-2000, 08:26 PM

Two young birds are sitting at the breakfast table. One of them has his mouth wide open. His mouth is full of worms. The other little bird (a girl bird, I think) is saying, "Mom! Earl's grossing me out!"
Old 03-01-2000, 08:26 PM

Cat following arrows into laundry room, looking into washer with pointing sign that says 'cat fud", dog behind washer door getting ready to slam, saying to self "oh please, oh please.."

Two guys in Hell sitting on bench, one whispering to the other, "I hate this place".

Hell, any of the Far Sides set in Hell are my favorites.
Old 03-01-2000, 08:31 PM

There are so many to choose from. One of them shows one chimp grooming another, and the grooming chimp says, "A blonde hair? I suppose you've been some more conducting research with that Jane Goodall tramp!"

Dr. Goodall saw this, guffawed, and said, "Hey, I've really made it! I'm in the comics!"

Unbeknownst to her, a woman executive in Goodall's organization wrote a nasty letter to Larson which went something like "How dare you even suggest she had sex with the animals!" and so forth including threats of court action.

Years later, National Geographic wanted to put this cartoon on a t-shirt. Larson's people said, "No, we don't think so," and told them about the letter. Someone from Natl. Geo. said, "That doesn't sound like the Jane Goodall I know" and contacted her. She was very surprised to hear about this and straightened the whole thing out. (The letter-writing woman had left the organization in the interim.)

------------------
But where were the Spiders?
Old 03-01-2000, 08:40 PM

The doors to the School for the Gifted.

One of the Students is leaning on the door, apparently trying with all his might to open it.

The door says 'Pull'

------------------
Eschew Obfuscation
Old 03-01-2000, 08:58 PM

Cave man watches a bird fly by.

He starts flapping his arms like crazy, trying to take off.

He realizes this isn't gonna work, sits down and thinks for a while.

He gets some tree branches, vines, and a hammer, and starts banging away. In short order, he has invented the ...

... bow and arrow, which he uses to shoot the bird.
Old 03-01-2000, 09:11 PM

I have to second the "Midvale School for the Gifted" one.

Also, an obviously stumped Einstein is standing frustratedly before a blackboard covered with scrawlings such as: "E=mc^10" "mc/E=?" "E+m+x=c" "E=mc^3" etc...all crossed out. At the desk behind him the housekeeper says to herself: "That's much better -- everything squared away. Yes sir, squaaaaared away.

------------------
We struck down evil with the mighty sword of "teamwork" and the hammer of "not bickering."
Old 03-01-2000, 09:20 PM

My favorite was the one with the cows standing on their rear legs talking. The lookout yells 'Car' and they get on all fours. After the car passes, they resume upright postures. Second favorite is all of the other 'cow'toons.
Old 03-01-2000, 09:24 PM

God Makes the Snake -- bearded guy rolling clay (or play-doh?) in his hands -- caption is "These are a cinch!"

And ditto for the "cat fud" in the laundry room!
Old 03-01-2000, 09:32 PM

Farmer Brown has been out at the chicken coop, gathering eggs. He's walking towards the farmhouse with a basket of them. Heading out of the house toward the chicken coop is a chicken carrying a baby.
Old 03-01-2000, 09:38 PM
BANNED

Two more:

The inside of a small store, a counter and cash register and a clerk. No racks or shelves anywhere. Very high ceiling in the place, and the only shelf runs just below the ceiling. It has the packages and cans, etc.
Caption: Inconvienience Stores

In the foreground, an easy chair with a llama reading the newspaper. Midground, is wife, also a llama, looking out the window at another llama outside, coming up the walk, carrying a briefcase.
The wife llama is saying:
"Llook Out Llarry, it's the Llandllord!"

BONUS
The cat couple with the wife in the kitchen opening a can, through the window are two more cats coming through the gate, the husband standing, holding a newspaper and saying:
"Zelda, cool it! The Rothenbergs hear the can opener!"

------------------
"If I pinch my nose with my fingers, close my mouth tight,
and blow real hard, I can make my ears bleed. It's
not as cool as Superman's X-ray vision, but it's my own
special talent."
Old 03-01-2000, 09:54 PM

"Pass the potatoes, or give me death!"

------------------
R.J.D.
Old 03-02-2000, 01:39 AM

two old guys fishing, with some nuclear mushroom clouds in the backround

"you know what this means Ed, no size restrictions and screw the limit"

------------------
knuckle-dragging hose mongerer.
SDMB Self-Righteous Clique
Old 03-02-2000, 01:46 AM
BANNED

My favorite is the cave men sittig around an animal carcass and one is about to eat some plant. The caveman next to him stops him and says
"No, no, Grak, no eat parsley... Just for pretty." that one busts me up every time.

------------------
how did it start? well i don't know i just feel the craving. i see the flesh and it smells fresh and it's just there for the taking...
VvvV
"Winners never quit and quitters never win, but those who never win and never quit are idiots."
Old 03-02-2000, 01:54 AM

Gary Larson for President!

My favorite would be, and I'm suprised that it's not been mentioned so far:

Old lady is yelling out her livingroom window for her pet poodle, Fifi, to come busting through the doggy door.

"Faster Fifi, faster!!"

She has braced the doggy door closed with a board

------------------
"If we submit everything to reason, our religion will have no mysterious or supernatural element. If we offend the principles of reason, our religion will be absurd and ridiculous." Blaise Pascal
Old 03-02-2000, 02:42 AM

Both of my favorites involve couches. (?) These captions are from memory, so they may be flawed.

1.The frumpy wife has taken all the cushions off the couch so she can vacuum out all the trash that eventually collects in there. Crammed down in the back and peering out at her is a man's head. "Harold! So that's where you've been. And there's my old hairbrush!"

2.All the cushions have been taken off the couch and assembled into a structure in the middle of the living room. A man's bespectacled face pokes out. His wife is telling him, "You can rebuild the fort later, Henry. The Smiths are coming over to visit and I need the cushions."

I've never seen the cartoons NickyLarson mentions; I thought I'd seen every Far Side a jillion times. Those were hilarious.
Old 03-02-2000, 11:28 AM

My favorite cartoon is set in an airline cockpit.

Outside the cockpit window, surrounded by clouds, you can see a mountain-goat looking at the plane.

The co-pilot says to the pilot: "How'd that mountain goat get way up here?
Old 03-02-2000, 11:43 AM

When potato salad goes bad

night of the crash test dummies

Mr and Mrs potato head in France
Old 03-02-2000, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Two lion sitting around a carcass. One says to the other, "Remember the time we were telling tiger jokes and that antelope bone came shooting out your nose?"
Old 03-02-2000, 01:14 PM
BANNED

Second favorite: Dorky kid in glasses has some bugs in a jar, and on the window sill is a picket line of bugs with signs reading "Free the Mayonaise Jar 7".

Absolute favorite: Panel 1: two owls sitting on a branch facing away from us. Panel 2: one of the owls reaches over the other and taps him on the opposite shoulder. Panel 3: tapped owl with head turned around backwards (rotated 180 degrees in the direction he was tapped). Genius.
Old 03-02-2000, 01:17 PM

Sound guy reaching for a knob marked "Suck", "Edgar's last night with the band"
Old 03-02-2000, 01:50 PM

My favorite is the second one down in the second column.

http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian.../tiffanyg.html

I also like one where the show a fish with balloons tied to him zooming to the surface of a lake. The caption reads: They have sent Charlie to "sleep with the humans".

For some reason the mob ones crack me up.

------------------
"It's like banging your head against a wall because it feels so good when you stop."
Old 03-02-2000, 01:59 PM

Police entering a room full of dead cats. A microscope and blackboard full of formulas (formulae for you purists)are visible: "Notice all the computations, theoretical scribblings and lab equipment, Norm.....yes, curiosity killed these cats"

Numerous other favorites were mentioned above.

------------------
----------
SDMB's oldest living female!
Acclaimed author of: No Bad Brontosauri
365 Ways to Cook Sabertooth Tiger
The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Wheel
Old 03-02-2000, 02:05 PM

Police entering a room full of dead cats. A microscope and blackboard full of formulas (formulae for you purists)are visible: "Notice all the computations, theoretical scribblings and lab equipment, Norm.....yes, curiosity killed these cats"

Numerous other favorites were mentioned above.

------------------
----------
SDMB's oldest living female!
Acclaimed author of: No Bad Brontosauri
365 Ways to Cook Sabertooth Tiger
The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Wheel
Old 03-02-2000, 02:18 PM

Another one that tickles me is two aliens have a couple of kids in a jar:

"Hey, shake it up and see if they fight!"

------------------
VB

"Rudyard Kipling?"

"Don't know; I've never Kippled!"
Old 03-02-2000, 02:21 PM

Two of my top three already mentioned:

1) "Midvale School for the Gifted"
2) "Curiosity Killed these Cats"

3) Set in a donut shop. There's a kid leaning on a broom that looks like he weighs about 400 pounds. His boss is standing next to him saying something along the lines of "I just don't understand it. We're moving 5000 donuts a day and I'm not making any profit."
Old 03-02-2000, 02:30 PM

A large building, flames shooting out the windows, is being swept over a cliff by a flood. A sign on the building reads "Crisis Center."

I have that on a mug

Catrandom
Old 03-02-2000, 02:30 PM

A lot of great ones have been listed.

Some of my favorites are:

A couple of scientists have written a lot of mathematical equations on a blackboard and then they are looking at a dog that is staring at the equations. One scientists says to the other, "I love it when they try to comprehend quantum mechanics"

Another is a scientist (or mathematican) beginning with a complex equation and then in the middle is written "Then a miracle occurs" and then the answer is written at the bottom. (I always thought that would be a good way to answer a question on a math test, just for fun of course)

That's all for now.

Jeffery
Old 03-02-2000, 02:38 PM

Quote:
There's a kid leaning on a broom that looks like he weighs about 400 pounds.
Wow. As hard as this might be to believe, usually I am able to form proper, coherent sentences. Sorry about that one.
Old 03-02-2000, 02:42 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

The Acme Ladder Company is on fire, and all the employees are trapped on the top floors, looking terrified... and one is saying, "Wait, wait, Ethel -- say that again. That part about, 'If we only had some means of climbing down.'"
Old 03-02-2000, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

The sandwich mafia sending Luigi to "sleep with the 4th graders" by casting him into a cafeteria at lunch time.

The graceful, noble, deer, while jumping over a log, whose antlers are moments from colliding with a tree limb above the deer. The caption: "Moments you don't see in nature films"

While we're on this Far Side kick, does anyone remember the TV special that was on, oh, 8 or so years ago? It was a cartoon (obviously) either 30 or 60 minutes long, and downright hilarious. IIRC, Gary Larson had said he was going to make TV episodes like that one when he retired. Then again, I could be remembering this all wrong.

------------------
Jeremy....

Nobody ever calls me after they've done something smart.
Old 03-02-2000, 03:12 PM

Ooh, ooh, the Boneless Chicken Farm is one of my favorites. But I remember the chickens all lying flaccidly on the ground, not walking around...

My very favorite is one with a split-screen effect...in the bottom right triangle, we see a man so enveloped in giant squid tentacles that the only clue that he's calling for help is his protruding hand clutching a phone.

In the top left, we see a phone ringing in the empty office of Bob's Squid-B-Gone, and a note on the door that reads, "Back in a jiffy!"

::snort::
Old 03-02-2000, 04:53 PM

Ooh, ooh, the Boneless Chicken Farm is one of my favorites. But I remember the chickens all lying flaccidly on the ground, not walking around...

My very favorite is one with a split-screen effect...in the bottom right triangle, we see a man so enveloped in giant squid tentacles that the only clue that he's calling for help is his protruding hand clutching a phone.

In the top left, we see a phone ringing in the empty office of Bob's Squid-B-Gone, and a note on the door that reads, "Back in a jiffy!"

::snort::
Old 03-02-2000, 05:14 PM

My fav still has to be (and I don't know WHY) the two adult rattle snakes facing each other with a baby rattlesnake between them. The baby is shaking its head rather than its tail and one of the adults says, "You realize that's from YOUR side of the family."

Another classic is the jar of humans, broken, fallen to the earth from above, with (presumably) god's voice echoing from the heavens, "Damn!"

Also among the favourites, the dog in a car leaving the driveway, with his head out the car window saying to his pal who sits in the yard next door, "I'm going to the vet to get tutored"

In the same vein... the "Beware of Doug" one isn't bad either...

And the all time favourite... *drumroll*... Tarzan swinging from vine to vine repeating his canned speech for Jane (very poetic), finally gets to Jane, says: "Me Tarzan, you Jane.". Final square, Tarzan thinking, "Damn."

Still cracks me up every time.

Elenfair
Old 03-02-2000, 06:02 PM

You guys have mentioned a lot of panels that I'd forgotton. After my original post, I remembered another of my absolute favorites:

Two cows are sitting on a couch. The phone is ringing. One says to the other: "And here we sit, without opposible thumbs."

In fact, any of the panels dealing with cows are toward the top of my list.
Old 03-02-2000, 06:39 PM

Two that I always found hilarious:

An alien housewife-a-zoid opens the door to let her alien dog-a-zoid in. Clutched in its snout is a little space capsule that says "USA". She recoils in horror and yells "Aaaaaaa! No, Zooky! Grok et bok! Shoosh! Shoosh!". Now, whenever the dog brings something unsavory into the house, that's what I say.

My other favorite: Acts of God. Four panels, each one showing God on stage juggling, or doing magic tricks, or loading himself into a cannon. I nearly choked to death when I read that the first time. Say, God would be awfully good at magic tricks, wouldn't he?

------------------
An infinite number of rednecks in an infinite number of pickup trucks shooting an infinite number of shotguns at an infinite number of road signs will eventually produce all the world's great works of literature in Braille.
Old 03-02-2000, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm.... so hard to choose favorites!!

One I like showed some lions or something behind a boulder, overlooking a herd of rectangular-bodied animals... the caption said something about "spamelopes" but I can't remember what

Another fave shows a moonlit hilltop, with a sheep and a wolf silhouetted against the moon, the wolf handing the sheep some flowers. The caption read (something like) "Inevitably their affair ended, [name??] worried excessively about what the pack would think, and Edna simply ate the flowers"

Another, cave people, the mother and two kids, the mother is stirring a HUGE cauldron, as tall as she is. Hanging out over the top you see a tusk and a trunk. THe kids are fighting, and the mom says "no Thag, it Wilga's turn lick bowl"

------------------
--
"it's all real"
"I KNEW IT!!!"
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com
Old 03-02-2000, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Oh I almost forgot....

you see a couple dramatically sprawled on the floor of their house, half off the couch, tongues hanging out, arms thrown out... walking out the door are another couple, looking back over their shoulders warily... THe caption reads .... dammit I can't remember the names ... "____ and _____ fiegn death until the Smiths (?), sensing the sudden awkwardness, decide to leave" or something like that. I've always suggested fiegning death as a way out of situations since then.

------------------
--
"it's all real"
"I KNEW IT!!!"
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com
Old 03-02-2000, 09:13 PM

midvale school for the gifted.
i have that shirt.

also i just gone one that says:

"Freeze, now who's the brains of this outfit.."
and it shows this guy with a huge head..while the others are goons

------------------
Check out my site:
Chief's Domain
Old 03-02-2000, 09:39 PM

The one with the bow legged cowboys on a running track with numbers on their backs. Caption:The Hundred Yard Mosey.
Old 03-02-2000, 10:14 PM

My favorite is the one that shows what cats and dogs are really thinking when their owners call their names. The dog owner's dog hears his own name followed by.......
The cloud over the cat was just ..........

Ok, maybe you'd have to love dogs to like that one!

------------------
"The more hours people use the Internet, the less time they spend with real human beings." Norman Nie, a Stanford political scientist on results of his study of the Internet's impact on society.
Old 03-02-2000, 10:55 PM

I mentioned my favorite Far Side earlier, but it's really not. There are about 50 posted up on doors, walls, etc...all around my house. I love the "Larsonic" touch that Gary gives to cartoons. He's a reaaaaaaaaal revolutionary! I envy him.

But wouldn't you agree, there are so many great Far Side cartoons, that it'll make your head spin?

Email me, if you'd like to talk about Larson, Far Side, and that cartoon with the fish roller coaster(the caption reads: fish rides) upstatic@hotmail.com

(or any other cartoon)

------------------
R.J.D.