Which Female Singer is HIV Positive?

I remember about 5 years ago a famous singer told the media that she was HIV+. Of course it was big news at the time but I haven’t heard anything since, and I can’t remember her name - anyone know?

If no one knows then she must have been less famous than I thought - although she was successful enough to be known in Britain while she was based in the US. Oh well.

Was it Mayoress Molefi-Mochanga?

http://www.labnews.de/en/ne_lib/ns_det.asp?colID=529

I remember hearing a rumor that Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes from TLC was HIV +ive. I can’t find anything on the net to confirm it. She actually passed away in a car crash.

Don’t know if this is what you heard. Seems like a story condensing out of all their HIV/AIDS awareness work.

The Israeli pop singer Ofra Haza died in February, 2000. She was an international sensation in non-english speaking countries (definitely not in the US since she didn’t record in english). Her death was officially stated to be pneumonia, but rumors have circulated that her death was AIDS related. She never openly claimed that she was HIV+ though.

I’ve seen tabloid covers at the supermarket say that Whitney Houston had contracted HIV through drug-use. But, since the only source of this info comes from the front page of the National Enquirer, etc., I wouldn’t put much stock in it.

She was not HIV+, that I know of. Her band-mate Tionne “T-Boz” Watkins has sickle-cell anemia, and I remember that in the news, around this time period.

I’ve certainly heard (as Art Vandelay says) about Ofra Haza. She was moderately successful in the UK too, with Im Nin’ Alu*, and I have a feeling she did the vocals in A Guy Called Gerald’s seminal dance track Voodoo Ray (I may be wrong on that one; maybe it was her that was sampled on Eric B & Rakim’s Paid In Full).

Bugger. My coding’s gone to shite tonight.

Hmm, I wondered if I smelled a whif of an Urban Legend that didn’t take hold. I clearly remember the guy telling me like it was fact. lol.

Could you be thinking of Pamela Anderson’s announcement that she has hepatitis? True, it’s not HIV, and she’s not a singer, but other than that it’s dead on :wink:

Don’t worry. The coding weasels are just acting up.

I’ve got some more information that may help - I asked a couple of friends last night and one said he thought it was either Mary Chapin Carpenter or Melissa Etheridge and the other suggested Mary J Blige. From what I can tell it’s none of those but from those ‘clues’ I’m guessing the name starts with an M, possibly Mary?

I’m starting to wonder if what I read was just a rumour that was circulated by the British press, but I’d still like to know who it was about.

Thanks for the input so far though, and I had no idea that Ofra Haza had died, I used to like her music but I thought she’d just fallen into obscurity.