For those of you who remember the Missing Coworker (no, she didn't show up) . . .

I couldn’t resist sharing this (and really, it doesn’t require you to have been in on the whole saga–suffice it to say that one of my coworkers went missing about 3 months ago, and is completely insane):

I just got a call from a woman who asked for MC (by first and last name). I informed the woman that MC no longer worked here, and was about to refer her to MC’s replacement, but she seemed, oddly, stuck on the fact that MC no longer works here.

“What do you mean?” she asked.

I repeated myself, and tried again to refer her to MC’s replacement, but she interrupted again:

“How long has it been since she stopped working there?”

By this time, I figured the woman must be a personal acquaintance of MC, who’d maybe been out of touch for a little while, and hadn’t heard the news.

“It’s been about three months,” I said, thinking that perhaps now she wouldn’t feel so out-of-the-loop.

Well.

Turns out that MC was at the home of this woman’s parents yesterday, claiming to still hold her position with us. She’d even given the people a business card, which also stated that she still held her position with us . . .

. . . but listed the wrong phone number (MC’s position has its own line, while the other three of us in the office share a line–she had put OUR phone number, not the one for her old position, on the business cards).

I just . . . I don’t understand.

Wow. Is she under a doctor’s care these days? Man, when she loses her marbles, she doesn’t go half-way! Has anyone spoken to her since “the incident”?

Thank you for sharing! I still think about her, and my non-Doper friend asks about her occasionally, since I told her the story at the time, and kept her updated.

What a psycho…

exhales Pfoooooooooo!

I’d been waiting all this time for some kind of follow-up. Holding my breath in anticipation (yes, I’m quite blue by now.)

Oo! More drama! More drama!

So, was she at this woman’s house in a business context? Or was it just a visit during which she said “yes, all is swell at work!” (But what’s the deal the the phone number?)

A new MC thread! YAAAAAY! The sequel!

Jeez. Fascinating. Can us newbie types have a link to the original saga?

Well, this sequel, like most others, may turn out to be crap compared to the original.

Now there’s some doubt as to the validity of the woman’s claim that it was MC who visited her parents’ home. She wasn’t there at the time, and the parents were given TWO business cards at the same time–one for an employee of Adult Protective Services, and one for MC.

So it could be that an APS person (not MC) came to their home and said, “Here–in addition to my card, here’s the card of someone else who can help you,” not knowing that MC is no longer employed here.

(But why would the card have the wrong phone number?)

I’m a little confused about the fact that you would give out personal information about MC.

I mean, if the woman is gone, certainly a “She no longer works here,” should suffice. Other than that, it’s no one’s business, true?

Now, granted, I loved following Part I of this saga, but is that standard office procedure where you work?

I’m not jumping on you, I’m just a little surprised. YMMV, of course.

Linkety Link Link

MC is seriously deranged. When cleaning out her desk, did you find any of her business cards? You can see what the phone number was?

Ivylass, you mean the part about how she’s been gone for 3 months (which is the only other thing I told the woman–I didn’t tell her the whole story)? Yeah, I guess that wouldn’t fly at most places, but we’re pretty laid back.

For example, when I call in sick, it’s inevitable that my mom or sister will call me at work, find out that I’m sick from my boss, and then call me at home and yell, “What’s wrong with you???” as soon as I pick up the phone.

Ahhh, yes, the case of the missing coworker, otherwise known as “the reason I became addicted to the SDMB and no longer have time to do actual work.” Thanks for the update - every now and then I would wonder what happened…

Yes indeed, Eats_Crayons. Morning coffee and coworker. Good times again.

Here’s what I want to know, auntie em. Has anyone at your office ever roared over to her house banged on her door and demanded to know exactly what her deal is? Hey, I wouldn’t want the job, I was just wondering.

Okay, auntie em. I just know I’ve worked in a business where we would have people call up just to pump us for information.

Then again, she did disappear, so she can’t be surprised at a little gossip.

Interesting this little drama. I read part of the old thread, and now this. I’d be seriously tempted to sic a PI on her just to get the whole story!

I was just thinking about MC this morning. I guess we’ll never know the whole story *** sigh ****

Very wierd

Just to weigh in as someone who works in HR - dates of employment (from-to) are not confidential information, and they are certainly not considered ‘personal information’.

This woman didn’t call to verify employment, true, but that is still not info that a former or current employee can reasonably expect to be kept secret.

Oh come on, more more more!

Have you seen her since the Great Disappearing?

Did she come to get her last check or did y’all finally mail it?

Did she never come to pick up all the cutesy crap she had left in her office?

Did she have any personal photos in her office? (something I could NEVER leave behind!)

Dang it! Where is she now???

Yes, yes! I wanna know about the stuffed animals and cutesy shit too!

WooHoo! More Missing Coworker stories! Hi Auntie Em, good to see you again.

FINALLY!!!

an update on the missing co-worker saga…

and what DeVena asked!!!