Ask the Guy in Mosul, Iraq

Inspired by the thread created by B]radar ralf** I decided to start the "Ask the Guy in Mosul, Iraq thread.
So here I am, in Mosul, Iraq. If you have any questions or any strange wonders about this area of the world, simply ask them! I’m up to answering nearly anything, so here I ago. Ask me!!!

Great! Are you an Iraqi or another kind of Arab, American, or British?

How’s the security? Are women able to walk around on their own?

Hey Dryfreeze,

watcha doin’ in Mosul? I was in iraq from June-October, mostly in Hillah, B-dad, Basra and some time in Mosul.

How are things now? We had to pull out of Mosul after our office was attacked.

Have you had a chance to get to Dohuk for R&R (if not, go it is NICE)?

Are you with the 101st?
If you have a US mailing address, I’m happy to send old magazines, candy etc. Email me.

Happy Holidays!

Sorry for the rambling, started our xmas cheer early today.

Mehitabel: I am an American with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault.) As for the security, it isn’t too bad. Sometimes the locals feel a bit restless and decide to launch an offensive.

madmonk28:
What agency were you working for? Things aren’t too bad here. I am working with the Northern Iraq Office of Judicial Operations here in Mosul CMOC. I’ve managed to go to Dohuk and Irbil a few times. It was pretty nice, enjoyed it. Much more safe up there, you can walk around freely, without flak vest and weapons. Not too bad ya know.

I’m an aid worker on a USAID contract. I was working on an education project distributing school furniture, student kits, etc. throughout Iraq. We had to close our office in Mosul after a grenade attack, but reopened it in Erbil.

Are you on a GST?

MadMonk28:
I am actually a servicemember working at the CMOC. I have worked with some of the USAID reps here in Mosul. Perhaps we had actually met? Does LTC Bell, CPT Terrensinski, or PFC Deckard ring a bell? I have the names of the USAID reps we worked with written down, all I remember is someone by the name of Gail.

I didn’t get to know any US military in Mosul, but I worked a lot with the USMC 1st Mech. in Hillah. I’m not with USAID, but our project is funded through them.

What’s the weather like these days? How cool does it get at night and have you had much rain/snow?

Where you from in the US and when can you go home? Are you enjoying the work?

madmonk28:
Ahh, alright, How’d your project workout?
As for the weather, no long are we suffering from the days of 130 degrees. However, at night the temperatures drop below freezing. We are hoping for snow up here. =)
I’m a Hoosier, from Indianapolis. It looks like I’ll be able return home during the first week of January. I’m extremely excited about that. As for my work, it is great. I recommend you read this thread.

Our project has been pretty challenging but also pretty successful. Here’s an article about the student kit component:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001787199_iraqschool10.html

We have four offices in Iraq. I think I’ll be going back sometime after the new year.

I find the work strangely addicting, despite all the BS and difficulties at the end of the day, you feel like you earned your cookie. Is it the same for you?

I’m off to Xmas with my in-laws. Have a good holiday and happy new year.
MM28

Madmonk28:
Absolutely. I may have to pull extremely long days, be away from my family, and deal with stinky people all day, but at the end of it there is a great satisfaction that I have done something to help people.
Have a great Christmas.

Dryfreeze

Damn, you military guys love those acronyms, don’t ya!! :smiley:

Dryfreeze and madmonk, nothing for me to add here except, THANK YOU SO MUCH, and please stay safe!! Happy holidays to you both.

To what extent do you and your colleages form opinions on the reasons you are there and what you are achieving? Or do you simply carry out lawful orders to the best of your ability? Any thoughts about the progress that is being made? Is an end in sight?

BTW - found your linked thread very informative and intersting.

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas.

Also, I’d appreciate it if you would describe your present living conditions. Where do you sleep, shit, and eat? What do you eat? Anything special expected for Chrismas dinner?

What is your average workday/week like. How many hours on, and how many off? What do you do on your off hours?

How often do you get to bathe? Wash your clothes?

Thanks again.

Dinsdale:
Well, I would say we basically carry out the lawful orders to the best our our ability; however, offline, we talk about the reasoning for being here and the circumstance behind it. For the sake of my job I won’t go into much detail about that here in public view =).
I honestly believe we are making great strides in the rebuilding process of Iraq. A lot has been done and a great deal of money has been spent; however, there is a substantial amount of work still needed to bring this country back onto its feet. I estimate at least 5 years worth of reconstruction.
I can not complain too much about my present living conditions, as I am living in what used to be a 5 star hotel. Granted, everything inside was looted, it is still a great big, secure building with working latrines for every room. We each have an 18’ by 22’ ft room to ourselves. Pretty good, each with an attached bathroom that actually functions. Its great to be able to take a nice hot shower. However, I have lived under makeshift tents in the desert and had to dig catholes. . .so I feel this is deserving =).
My average workday consists of getting up around 6:30 - 7:00 and going to a jog or doing some sort of Physical Training. My office then has a daily meeting at 0900 in order to plan the day. Basically we run from 0900 until at least 1900 everyday, most of the time we stay in the office working and planning until at least 2100. Nearly daily we also go out on missions either to the main courthouse or another building. This is the part that sucks, as it is the rainy season and pretty cold out right now.
We try to take every Friday off, as it is the Muslim holiday, but we rarely are able to do this. On my off hours, I typically watch a DVD in my laptop I purchased just for that, read a book, or work on classes.
As for the laundry, we still do it by hand, so you pretty much do laundry whenever your clothes get dirty and you become motivated to do it.
Christmas dinner plans are currently in the making. We did order out for some local food tonight for Christmas Eve, pictures available if requested.

Actually, Dryfreeze, I do have a couple of questions:

From the time the war started up to the present, can you describe some of the cultural/tribal customs of the Iraqis you have learned about?

Can you describe some ways you’ve adapted your behavior and actions to better serve the mission of winning their hearts and minds?

How have they adapted their behavior and actions to you, as well?

Thanks in advance.

GoHeels:
There are a great many customs we must adapt to here in Iraq. Perhaps the most bothersome is something Iraq’s call Enshaulla time (phonetic spelling of course as it should be written in Arabic).
Basically, they have no concept of punctuality. You can schedule a meeting for 1:30 and no matter what, you will not see any participants until at least 2:15. Without a doubt … … thus you must schedule properly. Also along these lines, if you set a deadline for any type of project they will respond with Enshaulla, basically enshaulla means “if god wills it so.” Very very very difficult . . .
One custom that has presented a bit of a problem for the troops is the fact that if you compliment an Iraqi on any tangible thing, they feel the need to give it to you. You can’t say, “That’s a nice watch you are wearing today” as the Iraqi would then proceed to give you the watch and you must accept. Denial of a gift is a gross sign of disrespect.
I have notice no adaptation of their behavior in punctuality, but as they are non-confrontational they have adapted to the American abrasiveness we have all came to love.
There are many more, however it is pretty late here and my mind is blank. I’m sorry, I’ll be sure to add to the list when I can think =)

Hi there DryFreeze

First thanks for being there, and doing your job. I don’t support our national policies, but I do support you guys 100%. I spent a fair amount of time around Mosul and Dohuk during the First Gulf War and after, with Operation Provide Comfort (3/325 ABCT out of Vicenza, Italy)

My question is this:

Are you in contact with the 1/507 ABCT out of Vicenza at all? I’ve got a good friend in that unit that I’d like to get in touch with, but I can find nothing about their role and area of operation at all. I’m not looking for any mission specific details, just wanted to know how they’re doing.

The guy in question is the younger brother of a friend who was kind of lacking in direction (the brother not the friend) and after many hours of conversation over a few months, he decided to join the Army, go Airborne, kind of following in my footsteps - I did the same thing and needed the same kind of direction at that age.

Anyhow, after jump school, he ended up in my old duty post, Vicenza, and once Bush II got things rolling over there, he deployed to the same areas I worked in Northern Iraq.

So I’m just wondering if you have any contact with the 1/507, and if you do, could you give all of them best regards from someone who was in their exact shoes about 12 years ago.

The specific soldier in question is Pvt. Jon Nelson, I believe he’s Bravo company but I am not sure.

Thanks and keep up the great work

Airborne!

Krebnar:
Sadly to report I have not seen anyone from the 1/507 ABCT out of Vicenza. The only ABN units I’ve came in contact with are the 173rd and 82nd and mine of course. Sorry to report that. However, I’m sure that he has changed his life around, the Army sure has done that for me, and thank you for serving as well and for your work the first time around.
Air Assault!

Hi dryfreeze. Im down in bloomington most of the year but im visiting family right now.

How did the locals react to Saddam’s capture?

Have you talked to the locals? do they believe teh invasions was an Israeli conspriacy, about oil, or what. Do they like having you here? it seems like they’d be confused as the invasions would be good and bad tot hem.

Is Iraq truly a broken down country? it was my understanding that Saddam did alot of infrastructure building in the 70s & 80s, has that modernized iraq at all or is it basically an undeveloped country with a big military and no real infrastructure?

I don’t know why my typing skills are so bad today.