The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-25-2004, 11:43 PM

Who was the biggest bitch (male or female) in Hollywood history?

Bitch is used here in a unisex tone for anybody who is a self-absorbed, obnoxious, thoroughly unlikable, miserable and vicious personality, regardless of personality, gender or sexual orientation. By "in Hollywood history" I'm referring to actual actors/actresses/producers, etc., not movie characters.

My vote for Biggest She-Bitch: Bette Davis

I have literally never heard or read one nice thing about her other than her talent. She was a abusive to dozens of her co-workers, reduced co-stars from Joan Crawford (a piece of work herself) to Lillian Gish to tears, a shameless self-promoter and at times a remorseless liar (especially in explaining her own shortcomings), incredibly cheap when she did and didn't have money, and then there's the matter of her attempts at motherhood. She sounds like somebody far better to not know than to know.

For He-Bitch, the books and first-hand accounts I've read would lean towards two living characters: either Chevy Chase (who is pummeled without mercy in Live From New York as well as other firsthand accounts) or Val Kilmer.

Who are some other "impossible" legends of the Hollywood nobility?
Old 01-26-2004, 12:15 AM

For biggest bitch, I guess I'd have to go with Elizabeth Taylor. She's mellowed out in her old age, but according to the Hollywood Hall of Shame by the brothers Medved, she was responsible for more movie disasters than anybody else out of Hollywood. They devoted a whole chapter to her.

She ran up production costs of many of her movies because she had to be indulged by her directors and fellow actors. She often got sick and had to be hospitalized, resulting in costly delays in filming. She got moody and threw temper tantrums and would lock herself in her room or just not show up for work. Directors had to buy her expensive jewelry to coax her out of her many funks. She dumped her husband for Richard Burton while filming Cleopatra (which is rated the biggest money loser of all time), and got him to dump his wife for her.

As long the world revolved around, she didn't care if Hollywood went bankrupt.

Biggest dog in Hollywood? I'd vote for Frank Sinatra.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:31 AM

I used to have the hots for Jane Seymour until I saw an interview with her and she was just nasty. She kept sighing and giving these "god that was a stupid question" looks. Totally turned me off.

Probably not the biggest, but a personal disappointment.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:28 AM

Three posts and no one mentioned BARBRA FUCKING STREISAND?!?

Come on people, get with the program!
Old 01-26-2004, 06:44 AM

If her recent 'performance' on the UK's premier chat show is anything to go by, I'd say Meg Ryan is well in the running.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:00 AM

All the women who've been mentioned are hissy divas who threaten vile retribution if you serve their salad with the wrong fork. All very entertaining. Madonna and Courtney Love will likely be discussed soon.

My vote goes to Grace Jones. Instead of threatening busboys and harrassing carhops, she hit extras with a huge friggin' stick. This was, IIRC, on the set of Conan the Destroyer. I don't think she's gotten a lot of work since then.

Male? Steven Seagal, hands down. You think Chevy Chase was despised on the SNL set? Seagal was far, far worse according to the same book. No charmer, he.

And not that I'm a fan or anything, but I hear Val Kilmer gets a bad rap.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Gabe Kaplan, of Welcome Back Kotter fame destroyed the show, got his fellow cast members to hate him, threw gigantic tantrums, delayed production with ego-driven walkouts, & put himself out of work more or less permanently.

After that show was over, he was waiting tables again.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:03 AM

The old-time studio heads would have to be high in the running. Not only were many of them utter assholes, but they have the force of their studio behind them.

If it were to go down to one name, I'd say Jack Warner.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
Gabe Kaplan, of Welcome Back Kotter fame destroyed the show, got his fellow cast members to hate him, threw gigantic tantrums, delayed production with ego-driven walkouts, & put himself out of work more or less permanently.

After that show was over, he was waiting tables again.
I didn't know he was so unpopular, but I had wondered why he never really did anything else. I do know that he's a professional poker player now.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
Joan Crawford (a piece of work herself)
If by "piece of work" you mean a thorough professional who helped her co-workers with money and clothes, funded a wing of an L.A. hospital for indigent show-business people, knew the names and gave gifts to the crews of her films, and nursed her dying ex-husband some 30 years after their divorce, then yes, she was a piece of work.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodil
Male? Steven Seagal, hands down.

Speaking of pathological liars...
Old 01-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
If by "piece of work" you mean a thorough professional who helped her co-workers with money and clothes, funded a wing of an L.A. hospital for indigent show-business people, knew the names and gave gifts to the crews of her films, and nursed her dying ex-husband some 30 years after their divorce, then yes, she was a piece of work.

Wow - didn't know that stuff, Eve. When things slow down at work, I will search the SDMB for threads on her. What about her reputation for all the Mommy Dearest stuff, and I think there are some other commonly held beliefs regarding her, uh, difficulty as a person - were they not true or is it more a case that she was tough about some things but did wonderful things such as you describe, too?
- Once again, WordMan proves his impeccable taste. - Big Bad Voodoo Lou
- I'd agree with WordMan (as I always seem to do...) - twickster
Old 01-26-2004, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
The fact that she abused her children pretty much negates all of that IMHO.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve

Actually I was referring to the "wildy-insecure substance-abusing basket case who gave great performances but made the lives of numerous people worse for having known her*" part, (i.e. the woman who told the son she never once wrote while he was seeing heavy action in Vietnam that his newborn daughter was "probably a bastard", seduced an adolescent Jackie Cooper, appeared on live television drunk, and used her fading starpower to keep Pepsi from suing her for embezzlement), but either will qualify for the "piece of work" phrase.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
My vote for Biggest She-Bitch: Bette Davis

I have literally never heard or read one nice thing about her other than her talent. She was a abusive to dozens of her co-workers, reduced co-stars from Joan Crawford (a piece of work herself) to Lillian Gish to tears, a shameless self-promoter and at times a remorseless liar (especially in explaining her own shortcomings), incredibly cheap when she did and didn't have money, and then there's the matter of her attempts at motherhood. She sounds like somebody far better to not know than to know.
While I must admit that Bette Davis was the first name that came to mind when I saw this thread title, I have to take exception to the charges about her motherhood. It's been a while since I read My Mother's Keeper but from what I recall most or all of it was spun by BD out of the whole cloth. Davis had a mentally disabled adopted daughter, Margot, whom she loved and provided for her entire life and a son, Michael, who IIRC denounced BD's book as a pack of lies, as did many of Davis' Hollywood peers. Davis took care of her mother Ruthie until the day Ruthie died and she supported her sister Bobbie as well (she may not have been the nicest to Bobbie but she did keep her from being homeless which assuredly counts for something). Every biography I've read of Davis noted that whatever her other shortcomings she did her best as a mother.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:17 AM

Oh, lordie, we have had, like, three Joan Crawford threads in the past—can we still do searches, or has the new Board killed that?

Joan did not abuse her children, though she admitted herself she was too strict. The stories in Mommie Dearest have long since been revealed as mythical by Joan's non-insane children, Cindy and Cathy—but no one wants to hear that.

Yes, you can read awful stories about her in the less-reliable bios; but you can also read the other bios and find interviews with family and co-workers telling what a terrific stand-up gal she was. You can also read Conversations with Crawford, containing unedited interviews with her later in life, in which she is probably harder on herself than many of her biographers were.

Leave the woman alone and pick on people who deserve it, like those SOBs Wallace Beery, Lina Basquette, Jackie Gleason, and a few others who were hell to work for.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:38 AM

I heard Robert Mitchum was a real sonuvabitch. I believe he broke an actress's arm during an on-the-set disagreement. Sean Young from the movie "Cousins". So I hear. She was a royal pain in the ass to work with as well. But I think he was a pretty nasty drunk and was pretty quick to throw a punch.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
Davis had a mentally disabled adopted daughter, Margot, whom she loved and provided for her entire life
According to B.D. Hyman and Gary Merrill, she stopped paying for Margot's treatment in 1965 after which time Merrill, who had a fraction of her income, paid the tab.

While not exactly a name that leaps out when you hear "Hollywood legend", one male that I'll mention anyway is Allen Funt. Joan Rivers (who was a Candid Camera writer) and Fannie Flagg (who got her big-break on the show) have both said he was one of the most miserable, egomaniacal, verbally abusive and impossible to please human beings ever to be associated with a hit series. Richard Dawson was also accused of being a sexually harassing monster likely to fly into a full blown tantrum at any or no provocation, while the very talented stand-up comic Brett Butler degenerated into a howling banshee so quickly when her show became a hit that the biggest role she's had since was as a cameo as a nun in Bruno.

An actress that I'm surprised hasn't received a Mommy Dearest treatment from her kids (probably because unlike Crawford and Davis she left them filthy rich) is Lucille Ball. Everything I've ever read about her implied or outright stated that she was a cold and distant mother and a nightmare to co-stars (especially Vivian Vance), though Gale Gordon seemed to have better memories of her than others. Jane Connell, who played Gooch in the abysmal Mame, said she constantly complained loudly about Bea Arthur's lack of comic timing (never mind that Bea was currently the reigning queen of primetime television in a groundbreaking show while Lucy had been doing the same schtick for 25 years) and that Arthur would have walked off the set had she not already spent the money for her appearance.

Anthony Hopkins, usually a gentleman in interviews when discussing co-stars and other figures, once said that the only actress he would never work with again was Shirley MacLaine because she was a total unprofessional on the set of A Change of Seasons. Does anybody know the details?

I was never able to watch a George C. Scott (one of my all-time favorite actors as far as talent) performance without remembering at some point during the viewing that he slugged Ava Gardner so hard while shooting The Bible that she suffered permanent retinal damage. (The two were dating at the time and this didn't occur on the set.) I've wondered if Sinatra ever had anything done to avenge her. (Supposedly he offered to have Woody Allen's legs broken as a gift for Mia Farrow, and he loved Ava more than Mia.)

What are the tales of Wallace Beery? The only bio I know of him outside of his movies is that he was one of the first stars to fight gay rumors (I've no idea how accurate they were), he had a Britney Spears wedding with Gloria Swanson and he was so terrified of dying broke that he kept safe desposit boxes stuffed with cash (as did Clark Gable).
Old 01-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Who was the biggest bitch?

I can't believe no one has mentioned Lassie.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:53 AM

Well, Wallace Beery regularly beat the crap out of his first wife, Gloria Swanson. And when I was researching my Jean Harlow bio, I spoke to people who said he was one nasty SOB on the set.

There is Judy Garland, too, but with extenuating circumstances. Later in life (well, after the 1940s), she was impossible to work with, because of her drug and emotional problems. Dirk Bogarde said that on the set of I Could Go On Singing, the crew was referring to her as "it" after a few weeks.

Same with Marilyn Monroe. She could be a lovely gal as a friend, but the pills and booze and emotional problems often made her hell to work with.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Didn't Harry Cohn (the head of Columbia) threaten to take out Sammy Davis, Jr's. good eye if Davis continued to date Kim Novak?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Since there is nothing more agonizing than looking like an idiot in public when a joke falls flat, comedians have an enormous collective reputation for being neurotic, perfectionistic, maniac assholes.

It's probably easier to name comedians who were known to be nice people (Jack Benny, Fred Allen, George Burns) than the reverse, but almost all the pioneers in television comedy - Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Lucille Ball (sampiro, check out Stefan Kanfer's biography oh her), Bob Hope, Jackie Gleason, Jerry Lewis - were hated and feared by their co-workers as much as they were loved by the public. And their radio predecessors were just as bad.

Both Groucho Marx and W. C. Fields were so overtaken by their public personas that they turned mean, bitter, and sour by the end of their lives.

But the worst sons-of-bitches of all time are reputed to be two men from vaudeville days almost forgotten by anyone this side of Eve: Eddie Cantor and Frank Fay.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Rising
Three posts and no one mentioned BARBRA FUCKING STREISAND?!?

Come on people, get with the program!
I was going to chime in with her, but you beat me to it.

The only one I can think of for a male star is Frank Sinatra, who, IIRC, served his wife Mia Farrow divorce papers while she was on the set of Rosemary's Baby. Talk about cold...
Old 01-26-2004, 02:14 PM

I've heard that Humphrey Bogart wasn't always the most pleasant person to work with.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:56 PM

Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide any cites, but I remember hearing that Louise Brooks was a somewhat unpleasant person. An incredible beauty and a talented actress, who got more than her share of tough breaks, but apparently just not very nice.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer
She got trumped by Sony's updated version of Godzilla. Did you see all those eggs?
Electric Escape -- Information superhighway rest area #10,186
Old 01-26-2004, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The actor that played Lassie was a cross-dresser, so he doesn't count...

Anyway, I would throw in Kevin Costner as my suggestion, and I don't think I need to explain why...
Old 01-26-2004, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass
The only one I can think of for a male star is Frank Sinatra, who, IIRC, served his wife Mia Farrow divorce papers while she was on the set of Rosemary's Baby. Talk about cold...
That's not so cold. Lots of people get served while at work. Now, if she were in the hospital after having just given birth to his child and was served... that would be cold.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman
That's not so cold. Lots of people get served while at work. Now, if she were in the hospital after having just given birth to his child and was served... that would be cold.
The problem with naming Sinatra in this thread is that for every story about what a jerk he was, there's a story about what a great guy he was. He just seemed to live large no matter what he was doing.

Harry Cohn does seem like a good candidate. As I recall, after his death a Hollywood rabbi who was famous for seeing the good in everybody was asked to think of something good to say about Cohn. After reflection, the rabbi said "He's dead."

A.E. Housman
Old 01-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

RET may be right. The only time I've ever seen anything said in a nice way about Cohn was in Capra's autobiography (and even then Cohn comes off as an asshole).

Another Cohn funeral quote came from Red Skelton who acknowledged the huge crowd by noting if you gave the public what they wanted they'd flock to it.

Was Wally Beery really a meaner man than W.C. Fields?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:39 PM

Alfred Hitchcock had a reputation of being a royal bastard. Two stories about him in particular:

1. He propositioned Tippie Hedren on the set of "Marnie", basically asking her to be his mistress. She refused, and he set out on a stalker vendetta. Meg Ryan, Hedren's real-life daughter, says that for her birthday that year, she received a gift from Hitch - a barbie doll, outfitted with a dress like the one Hedren wore in "the Birds", and encased in a small coffin.

2. While filming in England (I think for the movie "Frenzy"), he was using a location that was reputed to be haunted. A stagehand scoffed at the rumor, and Hitch bet him a large sum of cash that he wouldn't have the guts to spend the night alone in the house. The man agreed to the bet. To prove he would be there all night, the stagehand was required (by Hitch) to handcuff himself to a heavy piece of lighting equipment. As everyone left for the evening, Hitch left the already cuffed man a snifter of brandy to get his courage up. What he didn't say was that he had dissolved several laxatives in the brandy. So the man drank up, while handcuffed to a heavy immobile object, all alone....you can figure out the rest.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay, Architect
Alfred Hitchcock had a reputation of being a royal bastard. Two stories about him in particular:

1. He propositioned Tippie Hedren on the set of "Marnie", basically asking her to be his mistress. She refused, and he set out on a stalker vendetta. Meg Ryan, Hedren's real-life daughter, says that for her birthday that year, she received a gift from Hitch - a barbie doll, outfitted with a dress like the one Hedren wore in "the Birds", and encased in a small coffin.
The story would be better if you had the names right. Her daughter is Melanie Griffith.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I've heard that Val Kilmer spoils other actor's scenes by making faces, looking bored, and generally stealing the scene. Also, I'm not sure of the details, but his former wife Joanne Whalley-Kilmer was pregnant with his child when she was confronted by discovering Val was messing around with other women. As a result, Val doesn't work too often and has to settle for 2nd rate film roles.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medstar
I've heard that Val Kilmer spoils other actor's scenes by making faces, looking bored, and generally stealing the scene. Also, I'm not sure of the details, but his former wife Joanne Whalley-Kilmer was pregnant with his child when she was confronted by discovering Val was messing around with other women. As a result, Val doesn't work too often and has to settle for 2nd rate film roles.
Not sure if one's the direct result of the other - that would mean Joanne Walley carried some clout. I think he gets second-rate roles because he's not a very good actor and his pretty boy days are largely behind him.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I've ever read anything about M*A*S*H that didn't take the time to say what a total asshole Gary Burghoff was IRL.

I have also heard that Liz Taylor was a legendary bitch. IIRC she demanded that films in which she starred had to be shot in the Todd-AO format, since as Mike Todd's widow she owned the rights to the system and would get more money from it being used.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:51 PM

Groucho Marx?!?!?!

I remember hearing about what a sweet guy he really was. I read a book of his published letters that showed he was a doting father too. Toward the end of his life he gave a concert/lecture at Carnegie Hall where he came across as humble, wise, and nostalgic about his family.

Can anyone back this up or debunk it?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:35 PM

Eh, don't be too surprised, Machie. Some of the suggestions in this thread are probably based off of one or two isolated incidents, rather than a consistent stream of assholery. Seagal, Kilmer, and Costner consistently produce stories about dicky behavior, f'rinstance.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Not only is it Melanie Griffith, as pepperlandgirl pointed out, but according to the IMDB, Tippi Hedren has recently stated that Hitchcock never intended his gift to be taken that way, and that Melanie's impression was merely a child's mistake.

Wonder what the truth is...?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:17 PM

I have a wonderful copy of an HBO special on Groucho done years ago that I borrowed off of someone and *cough* never returned.

I think later in his Life Groucho did become bitter, but not scathing bitter. He had his moments , in the tape, of when he discovered Gilbert & Sullivan that suddenly it was All Gilbert and Sullivan all The Time and that would drive even the most ardent classical lover crazy. I think he was more eccentric/obsessive with a heavy dose of nostolgic towards the end. He did adore his daughters.

He was forever bailing Chico out of gambling scrapes and dealing with their domineering mother, Minnie, who was the classical backstage night mare mother. And apparently, the most normal house for the Marx family was Harpo.

Also, in the Crash of 29, he lost everything. Imagine working your entire life scraping by in Vaudeville skipping meals, sharing crappy rooms saving money for your future, and it all goes down the toilet in one day. And you are 39, and you are going to have to start from scratch. If that didn't turn you bitter on the spot, I don't know what would, and I've never heard nasty things about him. Scathing, yes, but never down right nasty.

It must have given him and his brothers the drive to make some of the most brilliant comedy to ever been made to date.

Hooray for Captian Spaulding!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:23 PM

I would have to vote for Steven Seagall as being a work of art and a total flake.

His movies suck too.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:30 PM

Tom Hanks: You must think I'm the biggest jerk in the world.

Lorne Michaels: No...that would be Steven Segal.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:46 PM

Let us not forget William Shatner, who seems to have been detested by all his Trek co-stars except Nimoy, and comes off as an insecure, bullying prima donna in Harlan Ellison's memoir of the "City on the Edge of Forever" controversy.
"One good rule of thumb is that those who treat a collection of myths like a science book and a science book like a collection of myths are almost singularly ignorant of everything worth knowing in this world. "--Kirkland1244
Old 01-27-2004, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Tuck
Groucho Marx?!?!?!

I remember hearing about what a sweet guy he really was. I read a book of his published letters that showed he was a doting father too. Toward the end of his life he gave a concert/lecture at Carnegie Hall where he came across as humble, wise, and nostalgic about his family.

Can anyone back this up or debunk it?
Hello, I Must be Going, by Charlotte Chandler
Groucho, by Stefan Kanfer
Monkey Business, by Simon Louvish
My Life with Groucho, by Arthur Marx
The Secret Word Is Groucho, by Sally Presley-Rippengale & John E. Ballow
Raised Eyebrows, by Steve Stoliac

The divorce from wife Eden (who, like his first wife Ruth, he pushed into alcoholism with his constant verbal abuse), the last years when Erin Fleming took over his life, the estrangement with son Arthur and daughter Melinda, the increasing senility, paranoia, and loss of impulse control, the court case over who was to be his conservator, the allegations of physical and psychological abuse toward and from Erin. Yes, Erin managed to push him into that Carnegie Hall concert. So what was one day out of decades? His last years were a sad, sorry mess.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:00 AM

Quote:
He propositioned Tippie Hedren on the set of "Marnie", basically asking her to be his mistress. She refused, and he set out on a stalker vendetta. Meg Ryan, Hedren's real-life daughter, says that for her birthday that year, she received a gift from Hitch - a barbie doll, outfitted with a dress like the one Hedren wore in "the Birds", and encased in a small coffin.
Tippi Hedren herself has denied that it was a coffin. She says it was a lacquered wood box, the type that collectible dolls come in, and she thought it was a beautiful gift.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooku
I have also heard that Liz Taylor was a legendary bitch. IIRC she demanded that films in which she starred had to be shot in the Todd-AO format, since as Mike Todd's widow she owned the rights to the system and would get more money from it being used.
She must not have been very persuasive: only Cleopatra was shot in Todd-AO.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:52 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
the increasing senility, paranoia, and loss of impulse control, the court case over who was to be his conservator, the allegations of physical and psychological abuse toward and from Erin. Yes, Erin managed to push him into that Carnegie Hall concert. So what was one day out of decades? His last years were a sad, sorry mess.
I'm sorry to learn all that about a man I greatly admire. All of the above seems consistent with an older man having mental problems, not being a jerk. When you take what's left, it doesn't remotely compare to some of the other names mentioned.

Nobody's mentioned Woody Allen either. Cheating on your wife with your adopted daughter (and then marrying and having kids with said girl) has to earn him some consideration.

Quote:
Imagine working your entire life scraping by in Vaudeville skipping meals, sharing crappy rooms saving money for your future, and it all goes down the toilet in one day.
It must have been an incredible shock. But by the time of the crash, they Brothers were the biggest stars on Vaudeville and had some big hits on Broadway. They made plenty from that, and Groucho in particular had gotten even richer through the stock market. I'm not sure of the exact sum, but he lost hundreds of thousands.

Quote:
And you are 39, and you are going to have to start from scratch. If that didn't turn you bitter on the spot, I don't know what would, and I've never heard nasty things about him.
It seemed to work out okay. And we got the Marx Brothers movies out of it.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Nobody's mentioned Woody Allen either. Cheating on your wife with your adopted daughter (and then marrying and having kids with said girl) has to earn him some consideration.
It would if that's what happened. Mia wasn't his wife, she was his GF. And the girl wasn't his daughter, adopted or otherwise, she was Mia's. And I'm pretty sure she was over 18 at the time.

Was cheating a shitty thing to do? Yeah. Was it quite as sordid as all that? Not really.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera
Tom Hanks: You must think I'm the biggest jerk in the world.

Lorne Michaels: No...that would be Steven Segal.
Nitpick: it was Nicholas Cage who did that bit.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperlandgirl
It would if that's what happened. Mia wasn't his wife, she was his GF. And the girl wasn't his daughter, adopted or otherwise, she was Mia's. And I'm pretty sure she was over 18 at the time.

Was cheating a shitty thing to do? Yeah. Was it quite as sordid as all that? Not really.
I remember one columnist at the time describing the hysteria as "trying to make a Biblical-level pervert out of a garden-variety midlife crisis."