Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Pepsi Classic is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 200

What sexual thing did Eric do to Donna that was unpleasant? - That 70's Show


There is an old episode of That 70's Show where Eric and his friends go to an adult film. While watching it Eric sees that all the couples do "something" and everyone seems to really like it. So Eric decides to try it on Donna without letting her know. Well, Donna doesn't like it. She freaks out. Later she says it was unpleasant. The show seems to drop hints at what Eric did to Donna but I can't figure it out. What sexual thing did Eric do to Donna that was unpleasant?
  #2  
Old 02-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Alias is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,499
I'm thinking it had something to do with the butt. No specifics, but you can use your imagination. . .
  #3  
Old 02-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,196
I remember thinking that it was implied that Eric had gone down on her.

Despite what happens in porn, a large number of women, especially in that era and earlier, were very disturbed by the practice.
  #4  
Old 02-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Mephisto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 888
For some reason--I don't know what, exactly--I initially thought it had to do with some kind of clumsy stab at anal sex. Then I decided it was just some generic sex move Eric tried on Donna without warning. I'm trying to remember, now--was Eric down near the foot of the bed when Donna was shown to be upset in that episode? If so, Exapno Mapcase's suggestion would definitely make sense. But it could have been anything. If you do something strange and without warning in bed, girls can get upset. I wouldn't be surprised if even the writer's weren't sure what exactly it was that Eric did. Funny show, though.
  #5  
Old 02-03-2004, 09:05 PM
tracer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Silicon Valley, Cal., USA
Posts: 15,861
He had sex with her in a very uncomfortable place.

(You mean, like, the back seat of a Volkswagen?)
  #6  
Old 02-03-2004, 10:06 PM
peasea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: <cute location joke here>
Posts: 432
Thank you for this thread, Pepsi. I saw this episode, but came in right where Donna was voicing her displeasure at 'what he did', and figured I missed the big explanation. From what I'm reading, it wasn't really explained, but left up to the viewer as a sort of sexual ink blot test.
  #7  
Old 02-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 13,350
I didn't see the episode, but I'll bet he tried the Venus Butterfly on her!
  #8  
Old 02-04-2004, 02:55 AM
Pepsi Classic is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 200
Quote:
I remember thinking that it was implied that Eric had gone down on her.

Despite what happens in porn, a large number of women, especially in that era and earlier, were very disturbed by the practice.
Thinking back on the episode, Eric and Donna are under the covers. Eric was doing something and then all of a sudden she freaks out. His head is at about the level of her vagina. I don't think it could have been him just going down of her. If it was just him going down on her she would have freaked out earlier.

Quote:
I'm thinking it had something to do with the butt. No specifics, but you can use your imagination. . .
For the anal sex thing, she is on her back and her legs are not up or back at all. To get access to her asshole he would have had to put her legs back.

So what's left? Fisting? Was this popular is 70's adult film?

Quote:
I didn't see the episode, but I'll bet he tried the Venus Butterfly on her!
What is the Venus Butterfly.
  #9  
Old 02-04-2004, 04:37 AM
jackelope is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Memphis
Posts: 5,894
I didn't see the episode, but I'll take a guess that maybe while going down on her, he tried to insert a finger in the back door?

It fits the criteria: it's something he might have seen in a porn flick, it would involve him being down in that region, and it could conceivably make a woman flip out if she wasn't expecting it.
  #10  
Old 02-04-2004, 06:39 AM
Leechboy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 275
Maybe it's the same thing as Number 6 on the sex survey that Eric's mum was filling out in an earlier ep - The thing she found that as a Registered Nurse, she couldn't do because it was "just yucky".
__________________
****************-- Leechboy --****************
"My Lord, My Lord! What hast Thou done, lately"
***************-- Woody Allen --***************
  #11  
Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 AM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 43,411


It's a joke! It was kept vague because it was funnier that way! The idea was to let readers fill in the blanks, because their imagining what it is make it more funny than saying what it is.

It's a standard and very effective technique (both in humor and horror), but when you start searching for what it is, you're missing the point. The funny part is that it could be anything.
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
  #12  
Old 02-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Trunk is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Baltobama, YesWeCanyland
Posts: 9,764
The "Venus Butterfly" was a similar joke from LA Law. It was analgous to the "move" from the Seinfeld episode, or apparently this "70's Show" joke. Never really explained, just something for the imagination.

The "Venus Butterfly" was done by this kind of frumpy old-timer, not the super-frumpy old-timer, just the regular frumpy old-timer. It was funny that he had a stellar move.
  #13  
Old 02-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 27,758
The Venus Butterfly was the secret invention of a man who was being prosecuted for bigamy. Stuart (the middle-aged kinda fat tax lawyer) asjked the guy what his secret was for holding on to multiple wives and the guy taught it to him.

The show never explained what it was, but they did show the too-good-for-Stuart girlfriend curled up next to him in bed asking "Can we do that again?"

If you were to show a 70's-era porn flick to a typical 70's era high school girl (even one who was sexually experienced), I'll bet she'd be going "Eww! Ick!" through half the movie.
  #14  
Old 02-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Kaspar Hauser is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 822
Filthy Sanchez? Jersey Meathook? Donkey Punch? Cleveland Steamer? Rusty Trombone? Cajun Hot Stick? Pasadena Mudslide? Arabian Goggles? Washin' the Dog? Topeka Destroyer?

I'm betting on the Kennbunkport Surprise, myself.
  #15  
Old 02-04-2004, 10:50 AM
av8rmike is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,695
He was doing Jerry Seinfeld's "move," but he used the knuckle when he shouldn't have, and finished with a counter-clockwise swirl when he should've used clockwise.
__________________
Less Artsy, More Fartsy!
  #16  
Old 02-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Spiff is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In the SPIFF Bunker
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck


It's a joke! It was kept vague because it was funnier that way! The idea was to let readers fill in the blanks, because their imagining what it is make it more funny than saying what it is.
Righto, mate!

It's the same reason why the writers won't reveal exactly where Fez is from.

(I think they did mention "island" once, but maybe I'm mis-remembering that.)
__________________
"Immigrants! That's all they do, you know. Just driving around listening to the raps and shooting all the jobs."
  #17  
Old 02-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Ex Machina is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
It's a joke! It was kept vague because it was funnier that way! The idea was to let readers fill in the blanks, because their imagining what it is make it more funny than saying what it is.

It's a standard and very effective technique (both in humor and horror), but when you start searching for what it is, you're missing the point. The funny part is that it could be anything.
No shit, Sherlock. Now go away and let the people have their fun. Go look for another thread to kill.
__________________
Ex Machina is not a member in any pubic gropes.
  #18  
Old 02-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Pulau Tiga is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Machina
No shit, Sherlock. Now go away and let the people have their fun. Go look for another thread to kill.

Logic has no place here!!

Some people were just having fun, but it seemed like others were serious. I bet his opinion was welcome on this.
  #19  
Old 02-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Fiver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta, Georgia - Female
Posts: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff
Righto, mate!

It's the same reason why the writers won't reveal exactly where Fez is from.
And it's the same reason why it's funnier if Smithers never actually emerges from his closet.
__________________
This space for hire.
  #20  
Old 02-04-2004, 11:44 AM
cmkeller's Avatar
cmkeller is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 13,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff
It's the same reason why the writers won't reveal exactly where Fez is from.
Would that not be Morocco?

Or is "Fez" something else in this context?
__________________
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
  #21  
Old 02-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,196
Fez is a corruption of FES - Foreign Exchange Student. Nothing to do with Morocco.

Yeah, of course they left the joke vague, partly because they stretched the shows' limits as far as they would go just by suggesting the sex act, and mostly because they knew leaving it vague would conjure up the worst possible images in our minds.

As indeed they have.

But if we're going to speculate, let's play like the Holmesians and pretend that the characters are real and we're back in their world.

And the facts are that anal was unusual in mainstream porn in the mid-70s. Not unfindable, but certainly unusual. And it is impossible to imagine Eric the character doing anal in any way on Donna the character. But every single porn flic of the day would prominently feature cunnilingus - which all the porn woman would love and even insist on.

Elementary, my dear Fez.
  #22  
Old 02-04-2004, 12:32 PM
BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,456
I am almost the exact same age as Eirk... that is, I was born in 1957. I have always found that the characters on That '70s Show were very like me and my schoolmates of the day. I resembled Erik to some degree... not handsome, not ugly, a bit nerdy, but not grossly so... and with exactly the same haircut. I had friends very reminiscent of Hyde, Kelso, Jackie, Laurie, and dated a girl very much like Donna.

Despite what you say about porn vs. real girls in the '70s, my "Donna" didn't have any problems whatever with oral...
  #23  
Old 02-04-2004, 12:45 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is online now
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 52,205
I, too, am a child of that era, and like BrotherCadfael, my "Donna" had NO problem with oral. It had to be something "extra." Probably a finger going somewhere she didn't expect.
__________________
Sometimes it feels like all the booze in the world won’t make a dent in the bullshit. But you know, you still gotta try.
  #24  
Old 02-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,196
So if I had a girlfriend who didn't like oral, does that cancel you guys out and make your minds explode?

This is why personal anecdotes aren't science.
  #25  
Old 02-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Rube E. Tewesday is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,928
Also came of age in the '70s, and let's just say that what silenus says....makes sense.
  #26  
Old 02-04-2004, 12:58 PM
don't ask is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,499

What sexual thing did Eric do to Donna that was unpleasant? - That 70's Show


I imagine going to bed without his boxers would be enough.
  #27  
Old 02-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Khadaji is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase
So if I had a girlfriend who didn't like oral, does that cancel you guys out and make your minds explode?

This is why personal anecdotes aren't science.
LOL. So, where exactly is the science anywhere in this thread? We have been asked to conjecture on an act that wasn't shown on a fictional show.
__________________
Until you stalk and overcome, you can't devour anyone - Hobbes.
  #28  
Old 02-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Wearia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: (7.43,4.76)
Posts: 1,267
If I'm remembering the right episode, Eric also brings a feather with him. Doesn't that open up any other possibilities?
  #29  
Old 02-04-2004, 05:20 PM
middleman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Mexico's Norte Vecino
Posts: 5,464
Quote:
And the facts are that anal was unusual in mainstream porn in the mid-70s. Not unfindable, but certainly unusual. And it is impossible to imagine Eric the character doing anal in any way on Donna the character. But every single porn flic of the day would prominently feature cunnilingus - which all the porn woman would love and even insist on.
I don't know. The Devil in Miss Jones (1972) is one of the most popular porn films of all time and it had a pretty dirty anal (I can't believe I typed "dirty anal") scene.

That is far from unusual.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me -- no matter how dumb my suggestions are."
  #30  
Old 02-04-2004, 06:13 PM
BurnMeUp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Hauser
Filthy Sanchez? Jersey Meathook? Donkey Punch? Cleveland Steamer? Rusty Trombone? Cajun Hot Stick? Pasadena Mudslide? Arabian Goggles? Washin' the Dog? Topeka Destroyer?

I'm betting on the Kennbunkport Surprise, myself.
Don't forget:

The frosty stovepipe
The mignight train to Peoria
The left handed governor
and my personal favorite: Uncle Schmecky Lost his Teeth
__________________
_______________
"You need to have performed three miracles to become a saint, and two of them can be card tricks." - Snooooopy
  #31  
Old 02-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Hey, It's That Guy! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnMeUp
Don't forget:

The frosty stovepipe
The mignight train to Peoria
The left handed governor
and my personal favorite: Uncle Schmecky Lost his Teeth
On South Park, Mr. Garrison referred to several such maneuvers, including the Dirty Sanchez, the Donkey Punch, and one I've never heard of called the "Hot Lunch." I can only imagine...
  #32  
Old 02-04-2004, 08:01 PM
rolandgunslinger is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,030
I think he went down on her.


But.... maybe he went about two inches FURTHER south than he should have. If you know what I mean.
  #33  
Old 02-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Manduck's Avatar
Manduck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 5,466
I didn't see the episode, BUT I have a theory anyway -

There is a practice that is very common (practically mandatory) in pornography, but rare in real life; I am talking about the money shot - the pearl necklace - the pecker sneeze. I think you know what I mean. So, maybe that was it?
  #34  
Old 02-04-2004, 10:30 PM
blasphmer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: At Home
Posts: 308
I agree with the shocker. When Donna was hitting her peak Eric just shoved his finger through the polka dot door. Unless he slapped that ass right at the climax instead of the ol finger in teh tailpipe.
  #35  
Old 02-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Giraffe's Avatar
Giraffe is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: ♂ San Jose, CA
Posts: 10,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Hauser
Filthy Sanchez? Jersey Meathook? Donkey Punch? Cleveland Steamer? Rusty Trombone? Cajun Hot Stick? Pasadena Mudslide? Arabian Goggles? Washin' the Dog? Topeka Destroyer?

I'm betting on the Kennbunkport Surprise, myself.
I'm both intrigued and disturbed by how few of these I know. Are they all real, or did you make some up to pad things out?

All I know is, if I were braver I'd order a Pasadena Mudslide without knowing what it is, but I'm not.
__________________
https://giraffeboard.com: come for the food, stay for the conversation. (Most of the conversation is about the fact that there isn't actually any food.)
  #36  
Old 02-04-2004, 11:25 PM
samclem is offline
Graphite is a great
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 26,202
I agree with exapno. We've had threads on here where young ladies have suggested that oral would cause them to react violently(youse KNOW who you are! See if I ever offer to drive you to a dopefest again).
  #37  
Old 02-05-2004, 08:46 AM
elf6c is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Work, again.
Posts: 3,180
I think he went for the "money shot". Especially given the description of the movie reactions vs hers.
__________________
Garak: You've come a long way from the naive young man I met five years ago. You've become distrustful and suspicious. It suits you.
Dr. Bashir: I had a good teacher.
  #38  
Old 02-05-2004, 09:15 AM
BurnMeUp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou
On South Park, Mr. Garrison referred to several such maneuvers, including the Dirty Sanchez, the Donkey Punch, and one I've never heard of called the "Hot Lunch." I can only imagine...
Yup I remember that episode... The glass bottomed boat? oh yeah she'd like that.

I also remember that episode generated a huge thread fo people talking about such things and it just ended up with us making up more names than actual procedures. It's kind of funny how every deviant sexual act has to have an obscure unrelated name.

I think someone on the board came up with some name for pleasing yourself while writing a letter to your grandmother with a pencil in your anus.

Or maybe that was the Midnight Train to Peoria
__________________
_______________
"You need to have performed three miracles to become a saint, and two of them can be card tricks." - Snooooopy
  #39  
Old 03-01-2020, 01:17 PM
NBrandyWine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1

The action figure was a hint!!!


Finger in front and the back that's why she freaked out. I freaked out the first time my husband did this. He should've asked or described to her what he wanted to do first before just trying something new like that.
  #40  
Old 03-01-2020, 03:36 PM
Sitnam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 9,246
Since we're on the topic. I think it was the episode where Red's war buddy comes back and it turns out he and his wife are swingers. This bothers Red so he and Kitty are talking about it in the bedroom. During which Kitty is taking a sex quiz in a magazine and says she scored well except for a certain question because she's a nurse and that one was icky. She later tells Red she's willing to split a bottle of wine and try it to which he skakes his head distracted and leaves to blow off steam and Kitty is relieved.

What was the implied sex move?
  #41  
Old 03-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBrandyWine View Post
Finger in front and the back that's why she freaked out. I freaked out the first time my husband did this. He should've asked or described to her what he wanted to do first before just trying something new like that.
But was it the shocker or the spocker?
  #42  
Old 03-01-2020, 06:02 PM
bizerta is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: wilmington, ma
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
The Venus Butterfly was the secret invention of a man who was being prosecuted for bigamy. Stuart (the middle-aged kinda fat tax lawyer) asked the guy what his secret was for holding on to multiple wives and the guy taught it to him.

The show never explained what it was, but they did show the too-good-for-Stuart girlfriend curled up next to him in bed asking "Can we do that again?" ...
Michael Tucker and Jill Eikenberry (the actors who were in that scene) are married in real life. They were on a talk show about two years after the Venus Butterfly episode aired. The said they were frequently asked to describe the Venus Butterfly. "It's fiction, folks." No explanation was ever made. I'm assuming the same thing for the 70's show.

Today, if one googles Venus Butterfly, someone has come up with the assumption that it was oral, but no one has ever presented any evidence that it was anything other than a made-up sex act.
  #43  
Old 03-01-2020, 08:58 PM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 27,758
Good news! Canadiansexacts.org is still a live site.
  #44  
Old 03-18-2020, 02:38 AM
EdelweissPirate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 803
I realize this thread is a zombie, but:
There’s a term of art for this in the entertainment industry, popularized by Alfred Hitchcock: a MacGuffin.
Hitchcock popularized the term in the late 1930s he described the MacGuffin concept thusly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Hitchock
It might be a Scottish name, taken from a story about two men on a train. One man says, 'What's that package up there in the baggage rack?' And the other answers, 'Oh, that's a MacGuffin'. The first one asks, 'What's a MacGuffin?' 'Well,' the other man says, 'it's an apparatus for trapping lions in the Scottish Highlands.' The first man says, 'But there are no lions in the Scottish Highlands,' and the other one answers, 'Well then, that's no MacGuffin!' So you see that a MacGuffin is actually nothing at all.
(Quote taken from link in post)

The sex act in question is a textbook MacGuffin.

Last edited by EdelweissPirate; 03-18-2020 at 02:41 AM.
  #45  
Old 03-18-2020, 03:55 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,966
It turns out he didn't like it either, hence they called it "the noodle incident".
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
I was once trolled by smoke signal. He said the holocough wasn't real.
  #46  
Old 03-18-2020, 09:45 AM
Trancephalic's Avatar
Trancephalic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,081
I think it involves a knuckle and a counterclockwise swirl
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017