MicroDope for the NW Philly 'Burbs?

It turns out that Scuba_Ben, Pandora, and I all work or live within ten minutes of Plymouth Meeting Mall. I suggested, at least half in jest, that we get together – but, what the hey, why don’t we do a MicroDope?

I’m only partially mobile at the moment (see my blatantly obvious attempt at garnering sympathy in the thread about my broken ankle elselwhere in this forum), so a weeknight, when I’m out and about anyway, would be better for me if we’re going to do this anytime in the next six weeks or so. Food court at the mall is one possibility – Phil’s Tavern (Butler and Skippack) is another.

Anyone interested?

I’m nearby. I might be interested.

I’ve never been to any Dope events, but this sounds doable, since I work just down the road in Great Valley.

Well, let’s throw out a date then, since we’ve got this groundswell of enthusiasm.

Tuesday the 17th?

Tuesday the 17th sounds good.

Sounds good to me, too.

The 17th is provisionally good for me as well.
(I seem to have forgotten my datebook/appoitment calender at home today, but as far as I can remember off the top of my head, the 17th is free)

So where does everybody want to eat? Since my company is located right by LuLu Temple (everybody’s favorite local landmark for diriving directions) I am conviently pretty much between Phil’s and the mall.

-Pandora

Okay, someone’s going to have to state an opinion at some point.

Phil’s

Pros: Decent food (love their tenderloin sandwich; their ribs aren’t bad). Those who drink alcohol will be able to do so. Reasonable prices.

Cons: Parking is sometimes a problem. Further from Blue Route, turnpike for those coming in from elsewhere.

Mall Food Court

Pros: Everyone can get whatever they want to eat, spend according to their budgets. Easy to find. Right by the Blue Route, turnpike. Plenty of parking.

Cons: No liquor license. Mall food.

The Italian Place on the second level of the mall, the name of which escapes me

Pros: Convenience of location and parking as above. Good food. Liquor license.

Cons: A little pricier than our other options.

How’s the noise level at Phil’s?

I think the Italian place at the mall is Bertucci’s. It may be a bit noisy on weekends, possibly less so on a Tuesday.

For completeness, ISTR that there’s also a TGI Friday’s at the mall.

I favor Phil’s, because I’ve never been there.

Never been to Phil’s? Wow, it’s an institution. (Okay, I’ll admit I work catty-corner across from there, but still…)

Noise isn’t bad – except, perhaps, at the bar. They’ve expanded a little at a time, so it’s kind of a weird maze of little rooms, each of which is more or less separate from the others.

Okay – any objections to Phil’s?

No objections; sounds like a place I need to be introduced to. Is it at the corner of Skippack and Butler?

It’s actually a little south of that intersection, on Butler. Coming from Ambler, cross Skippack and it’s on your right.

Coming from the Blue Route: Go to the last exit, Plymouth Road (the one right before you get on the Turnpike). Go right at the bottom of the ramp. That road deadends at Butler Pike. Turn left. Stay on Butler through the narrow twisty part; it then opens up after you go under the Turnpike (Lulu Temple/Pandora’s workplace). You’ll go a couple or three miles up Butler: light at Stenton, keep going; light at Norristown Road, keep going; as you approach the third light (Skippack), you’ll see Phil’s on your left, but may want to park by the office building on your right, since parking is often at a premium by Phil’s.

From 73 (Skippack): Turn south on Butler Pike (two empty gas stations and the Broad Axe Tavern), it’s just after the Broad Axe tavern on the right.

Sorry to jump back in kinda late. I’m not familiar with Phil’s, what type of place is it? Being a tavern, is it very smoky? (cough, cough…) The Italian place at the mall sounds good, I’ve never been there but I like Italian. What time would be good for everyone? On a weeknight I might not be able to make it before 7 or so.

Phil’s, though a tavern, isn’t smoky (except perhaps in the immediate bar area). As I said, it’s a bunch of little rooms off at angles to each other – I’m a nonsmoker and I’ve never noticed any smokiness.

Time: I work till 5:30, (though it’s not unheard of for it to be later), so I was thinking sixish – what’s good for other people?

Pandora – we haven’t heard from you yet.

6:30 or thereabouts would be good for me; getting through KofP any earlier can be kind of exciting.

Sorry, it took me so long… our internet access has been down at work.

Any of the three places is fine with me. I actually get done work between 4:30 and 5 most of the time, so wherever we meet, I will probably be there early (which isn’t really a problem at the mall, or at Phil’s, I’m not worried about waiting.)

Phil’s isn’t particularly smokey, I’ve never had a problem there. Twickster is it ok to park across the street? I didn’t know that, and it would certainly be easier than making that left (for me).

If I disappear from the thread again before things are decided, could someone drop me an e-mail (our internet DSL at work is pretty much toast, we’re limping along).

-Pandora

Okay, it sounds like Phil’s is okay with everyone (with the possible exception of davidm, but honestly, smoke isn’t a factor).

So let’s say Phil’s, Tuesday, 2/17, 6:30 p.m.

I’ll bump the thread next Monday, at which point we can finalize the secret handshake, etc., but I’m hoping to see Scuba_Ben, Pandora, JohnM, and davidm, plus whoever else would care to join us.

No need to make me an exception. I asked a question and you answered it to my satisfaction. Phil’s is fine. The only issue for me is that 6:30 might be a little early. Would it be a problem if I was a little late? Are we getting together for dinner or is this more of a drinks and appetizers kind of thing?

Sorry if you thought I was dissing you, davidm – I just meant that you were the only person who hadn’t definitely said Phil’s was okay.

We’ll wait for the people who are planning to get there by 6:30, then get a table – when your arrive (whenever is fine), just ask for the Cecil Adams party and the host/ess will bring you to us.

I personally am planning to order dinner, 6:30 being my dinnertime – since it’s dutch treat, people can order munchies or a meal as they see fit.

Okay, tomorrow night is the big night!

Scuba_Ben, Pandora, JohnM, and I will meet at Phil’s at 6:30. davidm will get there when he can and ask for the Cecil Adams party.

We can meet in the waiting area just inside the front door. Since I’m on crutches, I trust I’ll be sufficiently distinctive for you to feel comfortable walking up and saying, “Uh, Hi Opal?” If there’s more than one woman on crutches there, I’m the plump, middle-aged one with dark brown hair.

Naturally, if anyone else wants to join us, you’d be more than welcome!