The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 05-11-2000, 07:06 AM

Is it because they like flowers?
Is it a massaging of the ego (that someone finds them attractive)?
Is it because it represents that they truly have control and are now in a position to start manipulating the guy maliciously playing with his emotions and twisting him to her every whim and... er... um...

Anyway back to the question:

Why do women like receiving flowers?

-----------------------
Back off man: I've still got more posts than Cecil...

Officially dubbed "Mad Muriel Queen of the Thunderdome Smurf" by SqrlClb
Advertisements  
Old 05-11-2000, 07:58 AM

Not all women do—I'm not crazy about cut flowers, myself; they're a mess, they die and the cats knock 'em over.

But I like the compliment implied in receiving them—just as I would like a card, candy, any little gift that says "I like you." Flowers themselves are beside the point.
Old 05-11-2000, 08:13 AM

I think women like flowers because it implies how stupidly in love/like you are with them. Flowers are hideously expensive ($60+ for a dozen roses) and they get thrown out within a week of buying them. If you're willing to toss money down the drain like that on her account she must know that you really like her.

I forget the cartoon or card I saw this in but it was kinda funny:

Quote:
A woman receives a single rose from her boyfriend and she thinks to herself, "Hopeless romantic or cheap bastard?"
Old 05-11-2000, 09:50 AM
BANNED

Cuz flowers are the sex organs of the plant & women love to smell sex organs.
Old 05-11-2000, 09:53 AM

Final Answer:

Women like receiving flowers because a $10 billion a year florist industry encourages them to think that receiving flowers is a Good Thing, the same way that Hollywood encourages them to think that being skinny is a Good Thing. Do you have any idea how much FTD spends on advertising every year? Neither do I, exactly, but I'll bet it's more than the GNP of some emerging African nations.

And they're all in it together, the florists and the greeting card industry. Do you realize that they just MAKE UP holidays, like Grandparents' Day and National Secretaries Week, solely to sell more cards and flowers? Seriously. Suddenly we have to send cards and flowers for Halloween? Give me a break. Maybe I should take this to the Pit...
Old 05-11-2000, 10:16 AM

Flowers are symbollic of sexual/romantic interest (well most of the time). Thus receiving them is a compliment and ego boost.
Old 05-11-2000, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Is it because they like flowers?
Is it a massaging of the ego (that someone finds them attractive)?
Is it because it represents that they truly have control and are now in a position to start manipulating the guy maliciously playing with his emotions and twisting him to her every whim and... er... um...
It's because I like flowers and appreciate their delicate beauty.

It warms my heart because he did something outside of his normal routine to give me a gift I would enjoy.

Not with my Libertarian. Besides, I'm not a manipulative type of woman to begin with. If something is not given freely, I derive no pleasure from it.
Old 05-11-2000, 12:44 PM

Current BF left flowers in the mailbox after first date! Very flattered. Brought flowers again following week! Getting a little worried. Teased him a little about it. Said they were going to die anyway. Following week, bonsai tree! Like that a little better at least it has a chance for survival. Then came the ficus, the palm, the poinsetta, and more recently the pansies, complete with bag of potting soil. In between he slipped in a small ring disguised as a gift from my son for Christmas. This is a nice guy. Ooops, I almost forgot the cards, couple of steak and crab leg dinners. Oh yeah, the de-icer, brake fluid, socket set, and two new trash cans! Yeah, I like flowers.

Needs
Old 05-11-2000, 12:55 PM

personally, I love receiving flowers just because they are pretty. Maybe that's just me, but I *love* flowers. I like pictures of flowers. I like to dry the flowers that have been given to me and hang them on my wall. I have even bought myself flowers on occasion. Flowers just make me feel special...and loved.....and valued. And, flowers are pretty. That's why I like them.
Old 05-11-2000, 03:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hell, I buy cut flowers and put 'em around the house in vases, just because I like them. If the ol' Ball and Chain wants to think I bought 'em for her, it's all to the good. "You never loved me!" "Hey, I bought flowers, didn't I?"

Flowers are like beer...they smell good...they look good...and you'd climb over your own mother just to get at one...

(Thanx and a tip of the hat to Homer Simpson.)
Old 05-11-2000, 04:55 PM

This reminds me of what motorcycle enthusiasts answer when asked what's so special about a Harley-Davidson.

If you have to ask, you'll never understand.
Old 05-11-2000, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

It's not just women that like to get flowers-- I know I'd be flattered if a woman ever sent me flowers (yeah, right, like that's ever going to happen), just like I'd be flattered if she sent me a card, or chocolates, or a dead sparrow (no, wait, that's a cat, not a woman. Still, the thought's the same). It's just something that says "I'm thinking of you", and everyone likes to know that folks are thinking of them.

Not all flowers are expensive, either. I've seen some beautiful arrangements of Queen Anne's Lace in my day.
Old 05-11-2000, 08:45 PM

Flowers are the genitalia of plants, handing them out gives a certian *wink* message.
Old 05-11-2000, 09:29 PM

I'd say #2.

I love flowers, but I think the thrill in receiving them is knowing that my husband was thinking enough of me to stop and do something special on my behalf.