Hotmail - Outlook Express problem

I always used OE-6 (& Win98SE) to access my Hotmail account but now OE cannot do it and gives the following error message:

Which seems to imply a user name or password problem. The user name and password are correct as I can access Hotmail with the browser. Furthermore, I can access Hotmail using OE in another computer. The problem is with this computer’s configuration. I have deleted the Hotmail account in OE and created it again but still no luck. I have searched online for “0x800CCC32” and found that quite a few people have encountered this situation but have not found the answer. I get a feeling it is related to something underlying OE’s communications. Something like SSL or other common things but it does not affect the browser. It just seems like OE cannot get my username and password to hotmail. I do not want to reinstall OE just to try to solve this.

I am trying to think what changes I have made recently and I can only think that I have recently installed FTP Explorer on this computer (very happy with it BTW) and I wonder if it might have changed something.

Any ideas on how I can get back to the previous situation? (Please refrain from posting suggestions to change email provider, email client, OS, computer, car, girlfriend, etc., I just want to get back to where I was before this glitch.)

I have W2000 with OE and FTP Explorer (great, isn’t it!) installed, and I don’t get that error. However, I have had it - or something similar - intermittently over the past few years - a day or two, then it goes away.

Have you downloaded the latest OE patches and updates?

Yes, it has happened in the past intermittently but I have waited a few days and it is not going away and it does not happen in the other computer. I may have installed some patch which may be the cause. See Post #9 in this thread. I am going to look into that now as it may be the answer.

Shit! Shit! Shit! I did install IE-SP1 about a week ago so I figured that might be the cause but the patch they offer after SP1 to take care of this problem did not work so I went to the Control Panel to remove SP1 and it asked me if I wanted to revert to the previous version of IE and I accepted. Well, it did not go back to the previous IE6 but to IE5!!. The good news is that Hotmail does work with it but now I am stuck as I cannot download the previous version of IE6 as MS only offers the SP1 vesion. Shit! Now I have to choose between having IE updated or using OE-Hotmail. This sucks.

I reinstalled IE6-SP1 (Which includes OE6) and it seems the problem is solved without further patching and I can now access Hotmail from OE. I guess they corrected the problem in IE6-SP1 so you only need to run the patch if you have the earlier version of IE6-SP1. Let’s see what other problems might crop up now.