Man, IE is giving me hell. Help?

I recently went onto MSN.com to check my E-mail. I typed in the password, and my username and I tried to logon, but it gave me a “This Page Cannot be Displayed” page . I tried a few other secure sites that require signing in and none of those work either. I think it may be a problem with my IE 6. What should I do?

Maybe just try resetting all the defaults? Tools>Options>Advanced tab> restore defaults

Download Opera, It’s a much better browser :wink:

While Opera is a fine browser that surely is not the answer StanDup needs for this problem. I found this MS Page. Have you installed all the Critical Updates? You might also read through this MS page, there might be some useful information about your problem. Good Luck

Why’s suggesting a different browser not a viable solution to the OP?

I think that it doesn’t really answer the problem.

OTOH, it’s a complete and permanent solution.

What makes you think the problem is with the browser? It probably is not. I do not think changing browsers would solve the OP’s problem but, in any case, I find these answers extremely irritating. The OP is asking how to get back to where he was before and saying "get another browser (OS, Computer) is just stupid and does not answer the question. It is a stupid response because if he does that he will be investing a lot of time and facing more questions and problems than the one question he has now. He is not asking what alternative browser to use, he wants to get back to where he was.

One time my DSL connection went down and I called the provider and they asked me what my computer was and told me I had to flash the BIOS. No way! ten minutes ago I had DSl and I want to get back to that situation. I have not changed anything and the problem is at your end. She insisted she would not talk further until I flashed my BIOS. Needless to say I did not do it and a few hours later the connection was up again. I want to get back to where I was, I am not interested in creating new problems.

I had exactly the same problem as the OP a year or two ago and the problem turned out not to be with the browser. I wish I could remember what was the cause but I can’t remember now. It was some pretty simple setting I had changed somewhere and which seemed unrelated. Maybe the SSL. I will try to remember because it was something very simple and obvious. I wonder if I may have started a thread. There may be a thread by me where you can find the answer. The more I think about it the more I vaguely remember asking about this but i would not know what to search for. I will keep thinking.

A bug in the latest IE patch. Like, who would have thought it :rolleyes:

Read about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831167

The solution is Mozilla Firefox, it’s free and better. But apparently we’re not allowed to say that.

Yep, those patches often have bugs. There is a thread somewhere about another bug which makes OE not remember the download folder and the workaround I developed for it.

That might be related to a problem I am having with Outlook Express too. I will look into it.

No, if that is indeed the cause there is a patch to download right there in that page. THAT is the answer to that problem. Saying get a Mac or get Mozilla is NOT the answer people are looking for when they post this type of question. Mozilla might be better for you but that is a matter of opinion, not fact. The fact is that most people use IE, not Mozilla. That is a fact.

I disagree. In every recent browser review I’ve seen, Mozilla (and Firefox especially) have been rated higher than IE. IE continues to have security issues. Firefox has tabbed browsing as standard, finer grained cookie control, better Javescript control and session management: none of which are present in IE. At some point you simply have to say “this is better software” as fact. How much more is required?

Yes, quite probably because most people never even think about changing their browser and aren’t aware of the superiority of the alternatives. Isn’t this board about fighting ignorance?

I resolved my problem by reinstalling IE6-SP1 and I suspect the OP would also be resolved that way.

I have never used Mozilla and I do not know anything about it but let me get this straight. You are asserting that Mozilla is superior to MS-IE in every possible way and that people only use MS-IE due to ignorance? You are saying that there is no aspect in which IE is superior? You are saying if Mozilla were as widely used as IE is it would still be better in every way? You are saying all this is a matter of indisputable fact and those who may prefer IE have no valid reasons and are just ignorant? This is what you are saying?

Yup, I guess you’ve summed it up…Let’s face it: you haven’t used Firefox and I’ve used both (as well as other browsers on different OSs). Firefox is a superior product. Fact. Some people may prefer IE but then some people may prefer a crappy car to a decent one. It doesn’t change the fact that one is better. Firefox is better software. Why don’t you try it out and say what’s wrong with it compared to IE?

No, not fact, opinion. And those that confuse the two often mistake arrogance for knowledge.

Interestingly, in post #13 of this thread Futile Gesture reports problems with the way Mozilla displays the SDMB pages. Problems which I am not having with IE6. I think that settles the matter that Mozilla is not always the best browser. But let me run to that thread to give him the answer to his problem: “switch to MS-IE6” :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, thanks for that. I’m talking about software not having a go at you…and you still can’t tell me why Firefox isn’t better? I gave a list of reasons: refute them.

Sailor: That would have been a better point if so many people using IE hadn’t had problems too… :wink: Anyway, that was a site problem not a browser problem.

dylan_73, I have no opinion on the merits of Mozilla. My opinion is that when one asks how to repair something he is not looking for suggestions on alternative products and I find it irritating when people tell you to get a Mac instead of a PC or Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer or an American car instead of a Honda.

This thread is not the place to argue the merits of different browsers, it is the place to resolve the particular problem asked in the OP. The place for witnessing is GD.

I resolved the problem asked in the OP by reinstalling IE-SP1. I tried the patch but it did not wirk for me.

sailor: I can kind of understand what you mean: saying “get a Mac/PC instead of PC/Mac” is obviously a bad answer since it would involve spending a load of money. But “try this piece of free software” is a different thing. In this thread alimarx was having trouble with an iso in Nero and I recommended he tried a different piece of software. That worked and no-one complained about it. Why the big deal with recommending different software in this case?

Secondly: in reviews products are compared all the time. Even software! If one piece of software has more features, is more bug free and is more standards complient than another piece…well…what more does it take to say “it’s better”?

sailor and Toddly, You are right about this point, but re-read the OP. He says “I think it may be a problem with my IE 6. What should I do?”. He’s not explicitly asking about how to fix IE, he’s asking a more general question “What should I do?”. Fixing IE is an option, and you gave info on that. Trying another browser is also an option, and others gave that info. More information is better, and the OP can choose what to do.

I have been using MS-IE exclusively for years. I very recently downloaded Firefox version 0.8. Seems to be in general a fine browser. However, it has two usability issues that make it inferior to IE IMHO. When you mouse over a thread title, only a single line of the thread text is shown. IE shows several lines. Also, when pressing the “back” or “forward” button Firefox returns you to the top of the page. IE will (in general) return you to the point on the page where you left off.

Until these issues are corrected, IE remains more usable for me than Firefox.