If your not gonna spell properly, then stick it up you're ass.

AAAAAAARGH! Stop it! Stop mixing up your and you’re. Just stop it! You’re driving me nuts! I can’t take it anymore. The next time I see it, I’ll…why I’ll…I don’t know what I’ll do, that’s what.

O.K., that’s all I got…

first one to point out the irony of that last sentence being grammatically incorrect gets a lovely parting gift - The “BBQ Pit” home-game

What should you do? Be prepared to see its and it’s thrown into the blender too. :wink:

Agreed - their is nothing worse than people who can’t keep there tenses straight.

So they’re.

I believe you have used too many "A"s in “AAAAAAARGH!”.
N.Y. Times version: I believe you have used too many A’s in “AAAAAAARGH!”.
Ecch.

Actually, it wasn’t grammatically incorrect. It just didn’t mean what you intended.

Actually, that would be, "I believe you have used too many As in “AAAAAAARGH!”

The apostrophe indicates possessive, which “A” isn’t.

Say it with me, everybody:

Apostrophe means possessive.
Simply adding an “s” means plural.

The only time the opposite is true is when using it’s and its, in which case the apostrophe indicates a contraction, “it is” and “its” is possessive (and plural but rarely used that way).

I toss this, my favorite grammar pet peeve, into grammar threads every now and then. Not that it helps.

Now I expect a definitive review on the use of quotes for the purpose of emphasis. Any less would be shortchanging the children.

“Not that it helps.” Is this a proper sentence, Mr. Language-Person? :confused:

This thread was definately necessary in order to air our pet peeves. Gaaaaaaaa! Just knock it off!

Did we forget “theirs”, “ours”, “hers” and “yours”? :stuck_out_tongue:

You left out two (or too or to): “yer” as in “yer crazy as a shithouse rat” and “yo”, as in “yo’ momma”.

Oops, forgot one: “ye’re”

Pirate captain: “Ye’re not be bringin’ that shithouse rat up on me poop deck, matey!”
Cabin boy: “Yo’ momma.”

How about the morons spelling ridiculous “rediculous”? Or people who spell rogue “rouge?” God, I hate them.

Any typos in this post were placed there purely for the purposes of irony. I meant to do that.

Say it with me, now. Adding an apostrophe to make a letter plural is an acceptable (though no longer required) convention. There are those who would argue that this particular example, where “As” is also a word unto itself, is exactly where an apostrophe serves a purpose.

Don’t get me started on how to use “lie” and “lay”

BTW, what is currently considered the best English grammar/usage text?

And while we’re at it, “disinterested” does NOT mean “uninterested”! It’s the difference between having no interest (being impartial) and having no interest (not caring).

As Mark Twain put it, the difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug.

Wait a minute, your saying your is not spelled right? My Father In Law was a gonna in the Marines.

This thread will have no affect.

OK, all together now:

"If you want it to be posessive, it’s just I-T-S!
But if you want it to be a contraction, it’s I-T-apostrophe-S!!

Scalawag!"

Actually, the it’s/its mistake doesn’t bother me quite as much, because at least there is a reason (however lame it may be) why one could mix them up. Putting an apostrophe and an “s” at the end of a word is normally how the possessive is formed, and pronouns are an exception. So when someone uses “it’s” instead of “its”, they’re at least doing something that has a remote connection to a valid rule of grammar. But in the case of “your” being used instead of “you’re”, not even by the most twisted logic could one ever think that “your” could substitute for “you are”, or that “you’re” looks anything like a possessive form. In a sense, the it’s/its rule is somewhat arbitrary, but the you’re/your rule is merely common sense. If you just think about it for one second, there’s no way you could mix them up.

I declare the contrary to be true.

This thread is terribly affected.

Unlike in the days or yore your “your”, “you’re”, “yore”, and “yaw” yaw like you’re illiterate.