The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-30-2004, 04:31 PM

Why do some people (especially, it seems, men) hate cats?

I have trouble understanding this. I mean, I do understand that cats are not the right pet for everyone. I understand having a preference for or against a particular type of pet for oneself. And I know that a lot of people have allergies, especially to cats.

But what I fail to comprehend, on a deeply emotional level I suppose, is someone who says they hate all cats, and that they all deserve to be tortured to death. I don't see this kind of invective against dogs, hamsters, goldfish, parakeets. Just cats. And mostly from men.

So, tell me: what's up with that?
Advertisements  
Old 03-30-2004, 05:01 PM

I'm a guy and I like cats.

My WAG (not a generalization, does not apply to all males):

Cats are prissy and men hate prissy things.
Cats don't take orders. Men hate things that they can't control.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

We're just reciprocating. Cats hate people -- in their view we're just big can openers.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:15 PM

They have no redeeming value.

They stink. They ruin furniture with thier claws and various offensive bodily fluids and semi-solids. They don't stay where they belong and always go where they do not, like counter-tops, tables and stoves. They are dis-loyal. They are picky eaters, yet will often eat thier own vomit. They shed excessivly. They cheat at "games of chance". When caught licking their genitalia and anus, they give you a look as if to say, "What's your problem, Girlfriend?". They are financially irresponsible. They can't use toilet paper, so basicly, whenever they are on the couch, they are wiping their ass on it. One hyphanated word: Hair-balls.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

I hate cats.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:20 PM

"Men hate things that they can't control"

I second that.

As for the previous poster.....I pray they don't have children.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:26 PM

I am far from a cat hater, but I do disslike the damage domestic cats do to bird populations. Also cats are far less useful than dogs except perhapse in small vermin control.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting ignorant
We're just reciprocating. Cats hate people -- in their view we're just big can openers.
I dispute this. I have found most pet (not feral) cats to be quite affectionate, even to people who are not their "food providers". Many people can tell stories of their cat displaying empathy to them when they were ill or depressed, or of showing remarkable tolerance & gentleness toward infants and toddlers who pulled their tails and such.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatopescado

They stink. They ruin furniture with thier claws and various offensive bodily fluids and semi-solids. They don't stay where they belong and always go where they do not, like counter-tops, tables and stoves. They are dis-loyal. They are picky eaters, yet will often eat thier own vomit. They shed excessivly. They cheat at "games of chance". When caught licking their genitalia and anus, they give you a look as if to say, "What's your problem, Girlfriend?". They are financially irresponsible. They can't use toilet paper, so basicly, whenever they are on the couch, they are wiping their ass on it. One hyphanated word: Hair-balls.

I hate cats.
And we all know dogs are perfect.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:41 PM

I don't hate cats. I just don't like them.

I think men tend to dislike cats for several reasons:

1) Cats poop and pee in a box full of ground up clay in the basement, and it smells. No matter how often you clean the litter box, I can walk into any house and tell if there are cats.

2) Women, i.e. my wife, insists on letting cats sit on the bed while we are having sex. The cat sits there staring at me with a look of disapproval on its face.

3) Cats spend all day sleeping on the couch. I want to spend all day sleeping on the couch. I'm jealous.

Mandatory Disclosure Statement: We have three cats. They are fat, happy, and well cared for. No, I don't kick them.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Charter Jays Fan

"Men hate things they can't control?" What nonsense. I can't control my wife, Major League Baseball, sunny days, or the way they grill a steak at Morton's, but I love all those things. Hell, for most of my adolescence I couldn't control my own schlong, but I'm a big fan of my schlong.

"Women hate things they can't control" would be no less accurate a statement, and women supposedly love cats.

Personally, I love cats AND dogs. A home should have both.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay
"Men hate things they can't control?" What nonsense. I can't control my wife, Major League Baseball, sunny days, or the way they grill a steak at Morton's, but I love all those things. Hell, for most of my adolescence I couldn't control my own schlong, but I'm a big fan of my schlong.

"Women hate things they can't control" would be no less accurate a statement, and women supposedly love cats.

Personally, I love cats AND dogs. A home should have both.
Re-read:
Quote:
You and your wife are supposed to be equals. Cats are equal to no one. Even other cats!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Kids like them. They are a comfort to old people. That's enough redemption for me.

Quote:
They stink.
Remind me again why I can't buy Chanel's Eau de Wet Dog

Quote:
They ruin furniture with thier claws and various offensive bodily fluids and semi-solids.
Dogs chew up shoes and furniture. They pee and crap on stuff, too.

Quote:
They don't stay where they belong and always go where they do not, like counter-tops, tables and stoves.
Try keeping a dog out of a toilet.

Quote:
They are dis-loyal.
They're predators. What do you want?

Quote:
They are picky eaters, yet will often eat thier own vomit.
Dogs eat shit. Their own. Another dog's. The cat's.

Quote:
They shed excessivly.
So do dogs.

Quote:
They cheat at "games of chance".
Dogs cheat at poker. I have proof!

Quote:
When caught licking their genitalia and anus, they give you a look as if to say, "What's your problem, Girlfriend?".
Dogs choose to lick their balls at inopportune times. Like when the in-laws come over.

Quote:
They are financially irresponsible.
I've seen plenty of dogs in bankruptcy court.

Quote:
They can't use toilet paper, so basicly, whenever they are on the couch, they are wiping their ass on it.
Dogs scrape their asses on the driveway.

Quote:
One hyphanated word: Hair-balls.
Okay, you can have that one.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:02 PM

Since when did this become about Dogs?? Why are dogs always compared to cats? Like you can only be a cat lover or a dog lover....

I do have to say... I am not a huge cat lover. I think it depends on the cat actually. They all have all their seperate personalitys. I cant stand cat hair, or that many of them will piss on your belongings when they are mad at you, or that they do scratch up your furniture (if you let them).... Cat's are however, so hilarious! They provide hours of entertainment if you have the right cat. For many people, a cat is man's best friend.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 PM

I want to get a cat.

The kiddies want a cat.

Mr. Ujest and all his male friends hate cats.

His parents hate cats.

His sister hates cats.

You can't put a price tag on something that will drive these people to think twice about coming for a visit.

My only beef with cats is the poop and the kitty litter thing. Yuck.

I'd rather the cat poop in the yard and I can set the mower deck lower and just puree the crap.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:19 PM

Well, there are superstitions involving cats, including black cats crossing your path, black cats and witches, and cats stealing the breath from sleeping children.

Among christian society in the middle ages, superstitions against cats were so strong they were all but eliminated from cities and towns. Cats were killed, tortured, skinned and immolated. No cats, more rats. More rats, more fleas. Fleas carried black death. Stupid humans died in droves...

Some attitudes don't change, especially in parts of the west dominated by philistines and luddites.
"Unchecked right-wing media power means that in the United States today, no issue can be honestly debated and no election can be fairly decided." -- David Brock, former conservative journalist and "right-wing hitman," author of Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative
Old 03-30-2004, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I'd rather the cat poop in the yard and I can set the mower deck lower and just puree the crap.
I know this is a joke, but please, don't ever do this. Our former neighbors were too damn lazy to pick up their dog's crap, so they'd just run the mower right over it. The stench on a moderately warm day was unbelievably bad.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:40 PM

I'm a guy. I happen to like cats. And yet, I am wildly allergic to them. A few hours in a house where cats live and my hayfever and asthma goes crazy.

I can't tell you how often I have heard variations on "You are allergic to cats? How come you don't like them?".

Grrr. I do like them. I also happen to be allergic to them.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:55 PM

I can't tell if I hate all cats, or just the beasts that currently reside in my house and eat my food.

And I hate them even more because they made me love them. As for the OP's question--my husband is a guy (obviously) and he loves cats. He is constantly begging me to elt him get a 3rd kitten...and he had a weird freaky bond with the cats. I swear, all three of them are out to make me insane. They do the things they do on purpose to drive me nutty.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperlandgirl
I can't tell if I hate all cats, or just the beasts that currently reside in my house and eat my food.

And I hate them even more because they made me love them. As for the OP's question--my husband is a guy (obviously) and he loves cats. He is constantly begging me to elt him get a 3rd kitten...and he had a weird freaky bond with the cats. I swear, all three of them are out to make me insane. They do the things they do on purpose to drive me nutty.
Great. Now he's gonna unleash his unholy Cat Army of the Dead and destroy the world.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter
Among christian society in the middle ages, superstitions against cats were so strong they were all but eliminated from cities and towns. Cats were killed, tortured, skinned and immolated. No cats, more rats. More rats, more fleas. Fleas carried black death. Stupid humans died in droves...
I don't really believe this at first blush, and would like to see some pretty solid cites before I'd believe it. Killing cats I can believe; "all but eliminating" cats I don't.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:41 PM

Guin Never fear. We live on 2.5 acreage. The dog poops in an area that we never frequent. So poop mulching isn't visual or olfactorial problem, plus, it keeps away the deer from eating my garden.

Freaking bambi.

If I lived in the city, it would be different.

I'd have a cow.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

I've yet to run across a disloyal cat.

Now, people, on the other hand...
Old 03-30-2004, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I would not have had a reason to get out of bed at certain points in the last few years, living in a new town with no friends at a job I hated, if it weren't for my cats. They got me through a very dark period of my life. So I'm sorry, but I have to strenuously disagree with this.

Quote:
They stink.
Mine don't. They certainly stink less than other people's pets (read: certain dogs, who you can't pet at all without your hand reeking of dog grease-- and I do like dogs, but not that aspect).

Quote:
They are dis-loyal.
Well, this couldn't be further from the truth. My cats come when I call their names, are affectionate and sweet. They are indoor cats, but when they have escaped, they always return, with a dead animal tithe to boot. They are excellent companions who hug and snuggle me and definitely more than reciprocate the love I give them. The fact that they aren't affectionate to you doesn't make them disloyal; it indicates that they have taste.

Quote:
They are picky eaters, yet will often eat thier own vomit.
Huh? I have never known my cats to be picky eaters (in fact, my cat Shadow has wider-ranging taste in food than my brother does), nor to eat vomit. Am I just lucky in this respect?

Quote:
When caught licking their genitalia and anus, they give you a look as if to say, "What's your problem, Girlfriend?".
Dude, if you could do that, wouldn't you be smug?

Quote:
One hyphanated word: Hair-balls.
If you let them dry, they peel right off and barely leave a mark.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:29 PM

IMHO, people who don't like cats haven't been around them that much, or the cats they have been exposed to are semi-feral or poorly socialized cats who aren't very affectionate towards people. If you are around an animal that ran from you or hissed at you, wouldn't you be disinclined to like them? They base their generalizations on a few brief encounters that aren't pleasant, and decide that since cats don't like them, they don't like cats.

I have both cats and dogs, but I am a cat person at heart. Luckily my SO loves cats too (although he is more of a dog person), so it all works out.

Upon preveiw, I agree with Rubystreak's comment about her/his cats getting her/him through some dark times in life - I have had the same experience. They are great companions, I don't know what I'd do without them.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I hate cats.
YEAH! Thats it! They're too much like us men!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:51 PM

Poision and glue traps are better mousers and don't go after the quail population.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They stink.
{Grabs nearby cat, brings up to nose, takes big whiff}
No they don't. If anything, they smell rather good—especially considering they take care of their own personal hygeine.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:22 PM

This kind of thing drives me crazy. Why would anyone *hate* an animal? Fear, yes, but hate? Animals don't choose their personalities, nor can they make reasoned decisions about appropriate behavior. Even cockroaches and fleas don't deliberately set out to spread diseases and stuff. Hating animals is just not reasonable.

The reason why dogs got brought up is because people who say they hate cats generally say they like dogs. Naturally, dogs are more obedient, sociable, whatever, because they evolved as a pack animal. Cats evolved as solitary hunters. They can't help their nature.

As for the "usefulness" argument against cats: since when do animals have to justify their existence to humans? A thing has to be useful to be loved? My cats don't file my tax returns or take out the garbage or simonize my car, and I still love them.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 AM

My husband used to be a firm cat-hater. Yes, FIRM. For all the reasons cited above and then a few thousand more. He despised all of cat-kind.

Now we have four cats and he would drop dead if anything happened to any of them. He feeds them, takes them to bed with him when he's on nights (hmmm...maybe I should worry about this) and treats them like visiting royalty. Which they are.

He worries about them if they go outside and will not leave until they're back in before he has to leave. He makes them all call him "Daddy" and all of them (even Tommy, his favorite black lump of a feline) think he *is* their daddy.

I might oughta stop now. This is starting to get scary.

But I know what the OP is getting at. I've dated guys that really did hate cats (and weren't too fond of any other animals, either, but hid it better). I am guessing they didn't meet the right cats yet. Or the right woman/man to show them the error of their ways. Yeah...that's probably it.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:32 AM

5 out of ten cats are really mean and they scratch you I hate the ones that scratch but other than that a nice one would make a great pet along with a Dog and Goldfish.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:33 AM

I don't hate cats but I do prefer dogs. I like big happy dogs that I can take to the woods or the fields. They romp and their tongues hang out happily. My guy loves to go in the car and stick his big head out the window loving life. When I come home he is there wagging his tail and we talk and push each other around. I love the expressions dogs make with their ears, eyes and body. His eyes are so bright and excited when I pick up a tennis ball it just melts my heart. Cats usually go their own way, they are lovable but just not like a dog.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:48 AM

I miss my kitties
Old 03-31-2004, 05:56 AM

Quote:
with a dead animal tithe to boot
Actually, cats bring you dead animals because they think you are unable to hunt for yourself

I have been brought around to the ways of cats. I never used to like them until I met Tir, and have since developed a liking for them. they are great pets, very affectionate, and are possibly the most sarcastic animals in the world.

I don't think I've ever admitted this before, but Cats are great.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:15 AM

I used to, well not hate, but dislike cats. And then I met Jane. He's my little buddy. Now, we've gotten him a little sister, Great Whore Jezabel. She's pretty hyper, but we think she'll calm down with age. I hope.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:17 AM

Can't say that I hate cats, I just don't see why anyone would particularly like them. I have no desire for any pets.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistofFate
Actually, cats bring you dead animals because they think you are unable to hunt for yourself
Slight hijack here: people say this, but my cats know that I provide food for them, so I highly doubt that they think I can't fend for myself. What they usually do it bite off the head, leave that for me, and eat/play with the rest of the body (this rarely happens, as my cats do not go outside except by accident, so the quail population is safe). It is my belief that they are sharing their kill with me out of respect.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:35 AM

I'm a guy, and I like cats. My favorite pet, ever, was a cat - abeit with doglike tendencies.

Most of the guys I've known who really hated cats were uber-macho, insecure, controlling types. I've concluded that they hate cats because cats make it very clear that they don't need us. These guys just can't stand something that small and seemingly helpless that refuses to suck up to them.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystreak
Slight hijack here: people say this, but my cats know that I provide food for them, so I highly doubt that they think I can't fend for myself. What they usually do it bite off the head, leave that for me, and eat/play with the rest of the body (this rarely happens, as my cats do not go outside except by accident, so the quail population is safe). It is my belief that they are sharing their kill with me out of respect.
It may be a bit of both.
I don't think it's that your cat thinks you can't provide food for yourself, it's more that it regards you as being a hopeless hunter and is trying to teach you.
Most animals kept as pets never really get out of the mental kitten or puppy stage. But cats have been shown to display "maternal" behaviour towards their humans. Presenting it's owner with prey is one indication of this, another can be induced in most cats (even some males) by making a high pitched note. The cat interperates this as a kitten crying for help and will frequently rush over to you, meaow, purr and attempt to confort you - one cat I had would even try to pick me up and carry me to a safer location by trying to get hold of my "scruff". Some cats will even react in the same way if you play a flute or a violin.

rimshotgdansk, Ragdoll cats are known to display very dog-like behaviour, to the point that you can train them to fetch you slippers!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:50 AM

People who actively dislike cats, in my experience, are usually the ones who just can't handle the cat attitude. You know, that air of "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, buddy. No, scratch that part about the horse; you can have the horse's share of fuck you, too." All cats, even the most affectionate, get the attitude sometimes, even around their favorite people. It's just the way they are. Cat people think it's funny, and a lot of noncat people are indifferent to it, but it drives some people absolutely batshit, and those last folks are the ones who talk about how much they hate cats.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:57 AM

Quote:
"Men hate things that they can't control"
I hate people who make broad generalizations...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:38 AM

My fiance used to hate all pets in general because his mom owned two dogs that she refused to train. Since he hated them, of course they'd use his room as a bathroom and would smear shit and pee all over his bed and floors. And he'd yell at them and chase them out. His mom also refused to spay the dogs, so when they were menstruating, they'd get blood all over the flat.

Which meant it was a huge concession for him to accept my cats with me when we moved in with him. Fortunately, you can't tell we have cats unless you actually see them - they don't stink, and both are trained not to claw the furniture. So now I find him having entire conversations with them when I come out of the shower. He tries to make sure I don't see him talking to and petting them, but I walk by and hear "Yeah, man, she's in the shower. But she'll be out soon. So don't worry." So I'll stop, thinking he's talking to me and come out to find the cats sitting in front of him, heads cocked like they understand every word, then rubbing against his hands while he pets them. It's hilarious. He still calls them rat cats, but he also cuddles them when he thinks I'm not watching.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystreak

For some reason I get this imagine of you as "The Godfather" and the cat showing his respect in such a way(except the mafia tend to leave the heads of animals in the beds of those they are displeased with ).
Old 03-31-2004, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose
...So now I find him having entire conversations with them when I come out of the shower. He tries to make sure I don't see him talking to and petting them, but I walk by and hear "Yeah, man, she's in the shower. But she'll be out soon. So don't worry."
That is the funniest/sweetest thing I've read all day.

My husband isn't a big cat person, either. His main complaint about the cat is that she just "sits there." Oh, and she will sometimes run away when he comes near her, but that's because he is a floor stomper and wouldn't you be scared, too, if Godzilla comes stomping toward you?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:50 AM

I think a lot of the reasons some people dislike cats, are actually things they dislike about the cat's owners. I don't like to enter a house smelling of litter box, but it's the owner's responsibility, not the cat's. I wouldn't feel comfortable eating at a person's house who allowed a cat on the counters or dining table, but I'd again blame the owner. I hear people complain about a cat killing song birds and other animals, I'd lay the responsibilty at the owner's feet also.

I prefer dogs, but find a lot of the complaints about them, are similar in nature. My reasons for not owning a cat, boils down to a personality clash. I've found the cats I enjoy most, exhibit traits I find more often in dogs. A good friend owns a Siamese named Gordon (Lightfoot, haha), and he is the coolest cat. I've been around other Siamese cats, and he is not typical in my experience. Most Siamese I've been around are "talkers", and it's not a sound I enjoy. The aloofness is another thing I do not find endearing. However, I find it hilarious when my dog brings his slobbery ball over to me, plunks it at my feet, and sighs if I don't respond. I can see other people being less than pleased with this scenario. I figure it's only fair to stick with dogs, rather than be disappointed when I end up with a cat that acts like a typical cat. Doesn't stop me from enjoying them.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:58 AM

Men can change -- I have proof!

My husband and I seriously discussed getting a pet and he was dead-set against it. He had grown up with a small dog but didn't think either of us were home enough to give a dog the attention it needed. How'z about a cat, I suggested. "No cat!" His only experience with cats was a neighbor's that got locked in his garage when the door was open or jumped into his house through an open window and made itself at home until it was shoo'ed away. "Animals do not belong in a house." The two of us nearly got divorced over this issue and then he finally caved in and "let me" adopt a cat, but he refused to have anything to do with it. Until it arrived, then everything changed.

My husband is now a cat lover. When we go for walks he will stop to pet all the neighborhood cats and they absolutely adore him. He plays "tag" with our cat, Blue. He feeds her, gets worried when she's home alone for any length of time, and is really concerned when she acts out of the ordinary. He's actually developed a relationship with Blue.

Until you've actually been around a cat, those generalizations of cat behavior (stalking, smelly, spraying, etc.) are all you know. Just as racial prejudices, stereotypes are dangerous. Blue is definitely "his" cat now. And we're still married.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:03 PM

...but if I attempt to remind him of his previous reluctance to get a pet, he still replies, "No cat." While petting and fussing over the cat. Sheesh!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
I'm a guy and I like cats.

Cats are prissy and men hate prissy things.
Cats don't take orders. Men hate things that they can't control.
I think this is generally true, but my biker-guy-super-macho, almost-to-a-fault all-male husband is such a pushover for cats that most of his guy friends make fun of him. He actually bought a get-well gift for MY co-worker's sick CAT yesterday. I shit you not.

He's a doll that way.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:24 PM

Count me in as born again cat lover. Used to hate the bastards but you couldn't buy my cat from me now. He's indoor/outdoor, hasn't gone in the litter box in over a year. He's cheap, a $7 bag of cat food lasts 3 weeks. He's fun, we'll play chase the laser/milk jug thingy and he wakes me up 2 minutes before the alarm goes off.

He reminids me of my ex I "inherited" him from.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:11 PM

I've always been a cat person, and I maintain that you can't trust someone who says they hate cats.
Around here (West Cork, Ireland) people tend to be cat haters, live kittens are fed to greyhounds and other hunting dogs, or thrown into bonfires. And it's not unusual for someone to deliberately run over a cat that's sitting at the side of the road ...
Old 03-31-2004, 03:02 PM

I don't hate cats, I'm just indifferent toward them.

Here's why I like dogs:
  • Happy to see you
  • Can play games
  • Will protect family and house
  • Are social animals
  • Don't hack up hairballs
  • Don't use the bathroom in a rank little box
  • Don't get "angry" and crap on the floor.

Reasons I don't particularly care for cats:
  • Generally non-social, except with people they know
  • Crap in a little rank box
  • Get angry at owners and crap on floor for no reason
  • Do not do much besides occasionally nuzzle you
  • Really don't give a damn whether you're there or not

It's true they're generalizations, but they seem to be pretty true from my perspective.