Need a new ride - fix me up!

I almost posted in this thread about PT Cruisers, but I thought that might be a bit of a highjack, and that’s not nice. So here goes:

My oldest (let’s call him “Axel”) is in driver’s training even as we speak. I’m currently driving a '97 Oldsmobile, which will pass to him when he gets his license. I’ve never been crazy about it, but my wife (I’ll call her “Bodicea”) passed it on to me (I’ll call me “Me”) when she got her new car in '99. So, it’s my turn to pass it along, and I get the new car this time.

To which I say, “Whoo-Hoo!”

<Ahem>. Anyway, I just need something to get me to the office and back - I’m thinking cheap and fuel efficient, but I want to have some fun (remember, '97 Olds? I think I’m due).

Two years ago, I was all about the PT Cruiser. But, as has been pointed out in t’other thread, the Cruiser’s a little over-exposed, and (so I hear) a little under-powered.

Lately, I’ve been very enthused about the Mini Cooper. It’s small, it looks retro-but-not-too-retro cool, and (I hope) it’s fun to drive with a stick.

Any experience with the Cooper out there? Should I go for it? Also, I’d like to enjoy the shopping experience a little bit - who knows when I’ll get to do this again. So, what other small, fun cars should I check out? Remember, I’m thinking fuel efficient, cheap (Axel’s planning to drive his '97 Olds to college in a few years), and, let’s not forget, FUN.

Dopers, fix me up! What should this 42-year-old father of two drive? I don’t want to look middle-aged pathetic, but I want to enjoy getting where I’m going, and now’s my chance!

rimshotgdansn asked:

I guess I would have to ask you what you consider fuel-efficient, cheap and fun. The plain old Mini is reasonably fuel efficient, but the Mini S isn’t. Both are mostly cheap to buy, but are going to be expensive to maintain if you keep them a while (they are BMWs, after all). I wouldn’t consider the normal Mini to be fun, but you might. The Mini S is fun pretty much no matter who’s doing the driving.

So, with that in mind, what’s fun, cheap and fuel-efficient to you? Myself, for fun and cheap, I’m not sure you can beat a Subaru WRX, Dodge Neon SRT-4 or a Ford SVT Focus (if you can find one; they’re being discontinued). I’m going to assume you’re looking for something in the $18K-$25K range, based on your interest in the Mini. Also, you could try looking at a Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V.

I agree with you on the PT being overexposed and underpowered in it’s natually aspirated form, but you might want to check out the GT version (2.4L turbo). Significantly faster than the original. And I believe they make a convertible version of it, too, which is definitely fun. Those you’re starting to slip into “not cheap.”

Find the oldest Toyota Celica you can. If you find a76 or 77 GT GT, I’d trade you my children for it. Best golldang car I ever had–it was black. :Scha-wingggggg:

I’ve heard the Subaru WRX coupe compared favorably (and without the engine troubles) to the Eclipse/Talon.

We’ve been looking at this class of car, and drove a Mazda 3s tonight - nice looking, lots of gee-whiz inside, strong 2.3 liter engine. 5-speed or a sport automatic with a manual shift gate (or you can leave it in D). 4-wheel disk brakes. It seemed pretty well equipped as a base model, or you can add some fun stuff like HID headlamps, moonroof and in-dash 6 CD changer. There’s a safety package with ABS and side-curtain airbags. We only took it on a little cruise around the area, no highway testing. Felt like a pretty solid little car, it has us really interested.

-mdf

I’ve had my CooperS for just about a month now and absolutely LOVE it. Prior to this, my daily driver was a 78 Corvette … power wasn’t a consideration for me since I have enough of that in the Vette “for fun” :smiley:

You really need to go test drive one to make any comparisons between the MC and the MCS. Yes, the MCS has the supercharged engine, but the MC is decent for what it is. There’s more that is standard in the MCS, so what might drive the model is what you want on it - comparing what you would have to add to the MC vs what the MCS comes with.

Mileage well I was getting 19MPG in the Vette, so just about anything is an improvement for me. I get 28mpg around town, and I am a bit of a leadfoot. Highway driving I got 32mpg. Decent in my opinion.

The car is roomier than you might think. I am not short and Bubba falls into the very very tall category. We both fit in this car comfortably and have plenty of room. The MINIs are designed to accommodate a person up to 6’7 (Bubba is taller than that). About 5 bags of groceries fit in the boot without folding down the rear seats.

It is definitely a FUN car to drive. It handles well, corners awesome and yes, you do feel at one with the road.

Maintenance intervals are pretty far apart and yes, they have to be done at a MINI dealer (for now). Warranty covers up to 40,000 (I think … don’t have my manual handy).

There’s been some bad press for the car having a lot of growing pains; squeaks, rattles etc. I’m happy to say that I have had zero problems with mine. In fact the only thing I don’t like (and this is stretching it a bit) is my white wheels. MINIs have some issues with brake dust.

The downside: it’s difficult, though not impossible, to find one on the lot. Most MINIs are ordered. It’s kind of fun to build your Mini on their website. Another downside is because of demand it’s considered a good deal if you get one at MSRP. Many many dealers are charging above MSRP because they can. It took 6 weeks from the time I ordered my car until it was delivered. The wait is not unbearable because MINI does do some fun things to help you pass the time.

You are a celebrity when you drive a new MINI. everyone wants to know all about the car. My most asked question “what kind of car is that.” to which I respond “a Mini Cooper” to which they ask “yeah, but what is it?” :smack:

This website will hook you up with lots of information on the MINIs.

I have not driven my Vette once since I brought the MINI home.

I’ll second that. I haven’t driven one myself, but I’ve spent a fair amount of time riding in one that a friend of mine owns. Very nicely appointed vehicle for something in that size/price range, and seems to perform very, very well and be reliable. My friend bought his a couple of years ago, trading in his previous car which was . . . the older (1994, I believe) version of the same car, which he also bought new, so he had it for about eight years with no major mechanical problems. Having ridden in it a good bit around town, I’ll say that I found it quite comfortable (surprisingly so, for a car in this class). Seems to me it’d make a great commuting car that would still be fun to drive, and that you wouldn’t be making apologies for in looks or performance. If it matters, he’s a 39 year old father of two himself (and is 6’5" tall, which should give you some idea of how relatively roomy the SE-R is).

Thanks, all for your input. If it’s gonna take a while to get my car, I’d better start shopping now. I’m definitely going to make a thorough search, drive lots of cars - like I said, who knows when I’ll get this chance again.

Happy motoring!

By a funny coincidence, I’m getting ready to head to Richmond (Virginia) this morning to take my Mini for its first yearly check up.

They are fab wee cars, I have to admit! Most of my driving is long-distance and on interstates for 4-6 hours at a time, and it is bliss motoring up the Interstates. Whilst I was in the UK for a month this spring, I left it with a friend, and of course she drove it all over the place – like me, she confessed, the Mini wants to go.

It holds the road well, takes curves like a dream, and I’ve estimated I can get up to about 45 mpg :eek:

So far I have had no problems with it; I have the CVT version, so I can’t tell you anything about driving with a standard transmission.

Sometimes when I pull up to intersections, people want to race me because they think it’s a toy or has a weak engine – but it is a lightweight car, and can hold its own (not that I race these people!

Little boys love it – when I have to leave it with the same friend cos I’m flying out of BWI or Dulles, apparently all the under 12s in the neighbourhood congregate around it in reverence…

Anyway, in terms of comfort and confidence, it’s the best car I’ve ever driven – go for a test drive, I suppose is all I can say!