I have a birds nest in my flower pot!

It’s the sweetest thing.

I’ve seen the birds outside in my hangy plant over the last few days, and I looked today and there’s a little bird’s nest with 3 little blue speckly eggs in there. I’ve tried to look online to see what kind of birds they are, but I’m not having much success finding a good bird website. But I’m curious. I have little questions, while I’m sitting outside with them. How long will they be there? When will they hatch? When will they fly away? Anyway, I had to share this with someone, since I think it’s so darn cute.

Anyone else have a bird’s nest story they’d like to share? :slight_smile:

I have a newspaper box under my mail box. I don’t get a newspaper and a bird has decided to build a nest in there. Every day I come home and get my mail and every day the bird flies out and scares the crap out of me and every day I vow that tomorrow I’ll be prepared. But by the next day I forget…

LoganDear, I have a Carolina wren nesting in a hanging basket on my kitchen porch. She has three eggs in there so I’m afraid to water the plant anymore, but everytime I go near the basket she jumps out and scolds me from a nearby tree. I also have a nest of some thrashers in the hedge but I’ve given her a little distance. I wonder how she came through the storms last night. I must investigate today.

I’ve been watching birds nesting for a few years. My favorites are killdeers because I love the way the babies walk around as little fluffballs. The whole process takes around a month or so depending on species but I’m not an expert.

IIRC robin’s eggs are blue, hence the color name.

Khadaji and Cub Mistress, the bird scares me too everytime I walk out onto my balcony. (I forgive her though)

quiltguy, I thought it might be a Robin at first, but I don’t think Robin’s eggs have black specks. I could very well be wrong about that.

LoganDear, can you give us a description of the bird, and the general area of the country you are in? Is it urban or rural? This could help us to ID what you
have.

I have a plastic geranium outside my kitchen window (came w/ the house) A few years ago a robin built a nest in the pot. This year a little brown bird built a nest to the side of the old robin nest. I did see one or two little fuzzies a few weeks ago. Checked today and nothing (haven’t seen adult recently either)

Brian

:smack:

If I had troubled to look at you location I could have seen what state you are in.

Baker: Yep, that’s right, I’m in Louisiana. In a pretty rural area of Baton Rouge (subdivisions and such). I haven’t got a very good look at the bird, but I did see one out there yesterday that had red on it’s wings (the rest of the bird was dark brown). It was small, but not hummingbird-small. Smaller than the birds I usually see around here. I think there is another one that doesn’t have red on its wings.

Hm… speaking of Hummingbirds, someone in my apartment complex has a hummingbird feeder, but I wasn’t aware we even had Hummingbirds in Louisiana. I thought that was more of a mountain thing. There I go being naive again.

Brian, sounds like your birds left… or, how do they say in birdspeak… ah yes, “migrated.” :smiley: