Can I live in Belgium for EUR 250/month?

This probably isn’t good enough for General Questions…

Begin Discussion of details leading to this question
I’m in a CO-OP program at university, studying mechanical engineering. The results of the interviews I did last week come out today at noon; that is, how each employer ranked me. I rank the employers by tomorrow at noon, and then based on that I’m assigned a job.

I’ve got a whole bunch of marginally-to-moderately-interesting jobs that pay not all that great, one that pays pretty well and would be a real challenge and source of learning (but is in a field I’m not too eager to support) (the Hercules job), and one that pays not at all, but looks fairly interesting, and is overseas (the LMS job).

This last job is for a company that develops software in Leuven, Belgium. The deal is, they buy my airline ticket to get there, and give me a room to live in, and 250 Euros a month to live on. Ordinarily, I’d make some money on a CO-OP work term, and use it to pay tuition and expenses on the following school semester. This time, obviously, I can’t do that. But I’ve done the math and using what I’ve got in the bank now, I should be able to cover those expenses (and have a bit of a reserve) if the LMS job is revenue-neutral. (Actually, I calculated a $2000 deficit, but I figure I can up for that by working in Canada during the seven weeks I’ve got free between this job and the next school term, tax refunds, cost-reduction in some of my budgets, and a few other minor cash streams.)
/End Discussion of details.

With all of that said, I hve one big assumption there: That the term in Leuven is revenue-neutral.

So, can I live in Leuven, Belgium, from Sept 1 - Nov 12 2004 on 250 Euros a month, assuming my rent and transportation to and from are paid?
Do any EuroDopers know how much food costs over there? What other expenses would I need to anticipate? Apparently I can walk to work, or take a bus (and I think student bus passes are free).

Help would be greatly appreciated… I think it’s a fantastic opportunity, and they told me right in the interview the position was mine if I want it (It was mine last time, too, but I turned it down to work for GE here in Canada). Can I live on EUR 250/month?

Well, of course it depends on how much you spend on going out (hint: the average Belgian spends a LOT :)), good food, and travelling outside of Leuven. But my guess is that even a student needs about €400 a month for groceries and clothes. I guess it’s possible, bút I’d call it an extremely tight budget. I’d say food for one person for one day, even if bought at the cheapest of supermarkets, is going to be around €10, so that’s €300 a month right there.

I don’t anticipate I’ll need to buy clothes, though there is an cost of washing laundry. If I wash my clothes by hand, I suppose I could drop that to the cost of a box of detergent. As for going out (in ways that result in spending money), if I don’t have money left over after groceries, I won’t do it. Traveling outside of Leuven would probably be one of my first choices if I had extra money on hand, but, again, won’t happen if there isn’t room in the budget.

But if €300 is the lower bound for monthly food costs, I may be stuck. :frowning:

You could live on Ramen noodles for two months, but what’s the point? One of the best things about Belgium is the food (and beer :slight_smile: ) It’s just my opinion*, but if you go to a foreign country, you should be able to get out and about and do stuff.

In two months (assuming you don’t go mad), you might be able to scrape by. Ramen noodles six days a week and go out for Moules et Frites on Friday night. The cost of living is a little more expensive than the US, but not cripplingly so. From what you say about the job, I’d say go for it. It’s not the sort of oppurtunity that comes along very often.

How are you fixed for plugs? Belgium is 220V and uses round pin plugs.

*My opinion as someone who’s British, living in Texas, the office is in Paris and I’m off to Russia in a few weeks.

Good point. Still, I’m cheap.
Thanks for your help, guys. I took the job. Now… what do I need to know about moving to Leuven?

Congratulations, wolfstu. First of, you need to know the distance between Leuven and Amsterdam: About 120 kilometers. :wink:

Nah. I don’t know much about living in Belgium, can this be of help? http://www.expatriate-online.com/

Good luck.

Hello there!
This is a good reason to make my second post on the sdmb.

I am a student in Leuven (arts department, languages).

250 Euro is not much but I think there are students who live on less then that.

Is that job in cooperation with/for the universtity?
If it is then the university will house you. Probably on the Campus Arenberg (if I locate your field of study correctly) which is a very nice location in the woods. I had a room there last year because I applied too late to be housed in the city itself. For me that meant taking the bus or the bike to go to my campus but I didn’t mind the distance because I loved it so much to be housed there.

As a student you can eat very cheap in the Alma university restaurants. There is one in the middle of the Arenberg campus and a little one with limited choice on one of the entrances of the campus. They are even cheap enough when you are not a student. You only pay a little bit more then the students.
There is also a laundry on campus. I think using a machine is 1 Euro, the dryers are for free.
As a student you have also a free pass for the busses.

Here is a link to the webpage with information about Leuven.

http://www.kuleuven.ac.be/english/living/index.htm

I don’t know yet for sure if I am there in september when you arrive, but if I am there it will be a pleasure to show you around if you like.

Leuven is quite a cool place. If I had an opportunity to go back to school and have a decent portion of my living expenses in Leuven paid for, I’d jump at it.

Just my two cents.

Actually, it’s in co-operation with the University of Ottawa. It’s a co-op placement. The employer, LMS International, is providing me a place to stay; I’m not sure where, but they say it’s a half-hour’s bike ride from work. I think it might be at KULeuven.

This is very good news.

This is excellent news :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot. It’d be fun to get in touch, if it works out.