The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-31-2004, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Removing medical tape adhesive from skin?

I got out of the hospital two days ago (and that might generate a thread in MPSIMS.) The right side of my chest has a lot of sticky stuff from bandage tape. I just now called my druggist for advice on removing the stuff from my skin. He said spirit of camphor is just the right thing. After a pause, he told me his store doesn't sell it. I tried rubbing alcohol, but it only worked middling well.

What's the secret? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:56 PM

We sell several medical adhesive removers (cream, wipes, and liquid) at the pharmacy I work at. Maybe you should try a different pharmacy or possibly a medical supply store.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:18 PM

We use "adhesive remover pads" at work. They smell mysteriously like fingernail polish remover. Whatever you use, be sure it is cleaned off well before using another product (assuming the first one didn't work) to avoid and unknown mixture of products and causing a possible adverse skin reaction. Also, don't rub too much and irritate the skin further. Finally, you could put baby powder on the sticky goo so it won's stick to your clothes or skin and just wait for it to wear off.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:39 PM

The commercial products are usually acetone-based. Acetone is of course better known as nail-polish remover. Soak a cotton-wool ball in nail-polish remover and rub gently - that ought to do the trick.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:44 PM

Be carefull not to get any in the wound,unless its made not to irritate the site.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:44 PM

Hairspray will do it.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Hairspray? Yike. Monday morning I'm heading to a different drugstore. I suspect that, in a big chain drugstore, the pharmacist doesn't really know what's on the shelf out in the store.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:43 PM

You might try an oil instead of acetone or alcohol. I've had a great deal of luck getting various sticky substances off of skin with baby, mineral, or even olive oil. Try saturating a cotton ball with the oil of choice and then rubbing the adhesive residue gently with it. Let it soak in a bit and then wipe with a dry cotton ball. Then you can either use an oil-dissolving dish soap to get the rest of the oil off or just leave it to moisturize your skin. This has worked on my kids' skin and hair when they've gotten into both tree sap and duct tape (don't ask).
Old 11-01-2004, 07:42 AM

Peanut butter.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:22 AM

There's a product called "Resolve" that's designed to remove medical tape from thin and sensative skin. It's packaged in the same sort of individual packs as the alcohol prep pads. Should be available from a good drug store or medical supplier. It works for me.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon
The commercial products are usually acetone-based. Acetone is of course better known as nail-polish remover. Soak a cotton-wool ball in nail-polish remover and rub gently - that ought to do the trick.
This worked for me when I had to remove surgical tape residue from my hip, and it was quick and easy. I used a wash cloth and rubbed gently to avoid getting nail-polish remover in the wound.