removing sticky stuff

I got a new apt and I think the last person here had contact paper in some of the cabinets. They removed the paper, but the sticky stuff is left behind. So when I put something in the cabinet it kind of gets stuck to the shelf. Any ideas how to clean that stuff off the cabinets? Maybe just hot water and soap?

I’ve had great luck with a product called “Goo-Gone”. Great for removing adhesive residue. (ObWarning: Test it on an inconspicuous spot first; I had it remove the paint along with the sticky stuff once…)

Goo Gone!

I belive goo-gone is naptha (but I could be wrong), which is the same as paint thinner, so that will work as well. Also, if you don’t want to run to the store, the first thing I usually try us WD-40, that tends to work on the same things the goo-gone or naptha works on.

Safer, cheaper, and more readily available than Goo Gone… Peanut Butter. Not to mention, non -toxic.
I’m serious as a heart attack. Rub the PB agressively into or onto the adhesive. Leave it alone for a 30 minutes or so. Wash off with hot soapy water.

A small amout of charcoal lighter on a soft cloth will remove adhesive gum. And no, it is not a fire hazard.

Cooking oil will remove some adhesives.

Lighter fluid perhaps?

I’ve tried all of the above (except peanut butter) with pretty good results. But my favorite is Johnson’s Paste wax. Not only will it remove adhesive residue, it’s also very effective on crayon marks, latex paint (if not too old), scuff marks on wood and linoleum and similar problems. It has the side effect of being an excellent treatment for wood furniture, floors or any other finished wood product.

Of course, all of these products work the same way - with petroleum distillates (except the peanut butter and vegetable oil - but they have a similar mechanism in their oils), but the paste wax is a little kinder to your nose and won’t attract ants.
ps - my can of Goo Gone says it contains Xylene and the warnings claim that prolonged exposure can cause cancer and dain bramage.

Lighter fluid is 99% naptha, which is a combustible liquid. If using in a kitchen, extinguish range and oven pilots, provide adequate ventilation, and do not relight pilots until the area is free of fumes (which are heavier than air).

I’d recommend 1-1-1 Trichloroethane, but they pulled that off the market because it causes dain bramage, too. :wink:

The trichloroethane was pulled because it kills the ozone layer. (I think it was once known as R-111).

However, for an excellent adhesive/brain cell remover, you just can’t beat good old MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

Do not use Goo-Gone for such a simple task. It is nasty stuff and can damage the finish of the cabinets, etc.

Try a citrus-based adhesive remover such as “De-Solv-It”. A much safer product. The right tool for the right job.

Nasty, based on what? From the Household Products Database:

It contains a small amount of petroluem distilates, but it smells more like orange oil than anything else. I’ve used it on plastics that ordinary solvents would have dissolved.

But having said all that, I’d probably try something oily first (mineral oil perhaps) since I think it’s the oily component that does the trick.

I’ve had great success with 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Do not use lower strengths-- they don’t work!

Pretty close. R-111 is C[sub]2[/sub]Cl[sub]5[/sub]F or pentachlorofluoroethane, while 1,1,1-Trichloroethane (aka Methyl Chloroform) is CH[sub]3[/sub]CCl[sub]3[/sub]. 1,1,1-Trichlor is a liquid at atmospheric pressure-it was originally developed IIRC to replace carbon tetrachloride, but it would also change the twist of the helix in your DNA, so they made it go away. It’s a great degreaser and solvent-I bought up a few gallons of it when it was being phased out, so it’s in the shop, next to the MEK. :toxic chemical smiley:

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try some of the less toxic solutions this weekend. If they fail, I will give the toxic ones a try, that way I can listen to Stairway to Heaven without even turning on the radio.

Here’s a non-toxic alternative…

…put new Contact paper over the old residue.

That was one thought I had. I tend to take the path of least resistance though.

:dubious: <— NOT the tool man.

lotsa rubbing alcohol and a rag.