Best thing to remove a sticky label from paper?

Does anyone have any suggestions to remove a sticky label from paper?

I’ve just received a used CD that has a DJ label on the cover. I would like to remove it without damaging the cover if possible.

I have my trusty bottle of lighter fluid here, which I use to remove labels from plastic cases, but I’m very weary about using it on paper.

Thanks…

I’m having trouble picturing this. There’s some kind of paper label stuck on the plastic jewel box? And there’s another sticky label on top of the paper label? So you’ve basically got two sticky labels, one on top of the other?

Wow, I think you’re stuck with it. I use baby oil to get sticky labels off plastic, but off another label? I dunno.

Before you get bombarded by the Goo Gone deciples, go to any art supply store and get some “rubber cement thinner” (aka heptane).

It works better than all the suggestions you’re about to get – it won’t hurt paper, leaves absolutely no residue and won’t destroy your skin. It comes in pints or quarts; don’t worry about the excess – you’ll find a hundred cleaning/solvent jobs for it to do before long.

It’s the handiest stuff around… but hardly anyone knows about it except graphic artists and other craft types.

Also, rubber cement thinner won’t hurt plastics, either.

A hair dryer might work, too…

But take care to use in a well ventilated area.

http://www.neath-porttalbot.gov.uk/html/environment/pollution/on-line/species/nhep.html

“Heptane is a central nervous system depressant; dizziness and loss of coordination are experienced at airborne concentrations of 2,000 PPM after 4 minutes. Higher concentrations can lead to coma and death. It is a severe respiratory irritant. Exposure can also cause cardiac arrhythmias. Studies of long term exposure suggest that heptane can produce minimal peripheral nerve damage.”

“rubber cement thinner”
That’ll probably cost more than the cd itself.

I’d try the hair dryer trick. But I would also soak it in water very very carefully then peel it off & then dry it. Steam might be effective too.

Depending on the cd, gasoline and a match might work.

If you dont want to damage either: use heat to loosen the gum on the sticker and then gently peel. (make sure the heat doesnt start to dry the gum!) Any ink that has already been absorbed by the gum is gone already.

I’ve heard that you can remove paper on paper adhesive lables by sticking them in the freezer overnight. I’ve never tried it myself but I can’t see it causing any damage.

“rubber cement thinner” is methy ethyl ketone, also known as MEK. Heptane, MEK, acetone, and almost anything else like that will dissolve printing ink. And they are all toxic carcinogens.

But back to the OP… it depends on what kind of adhesive is on the sticker. If the adhesive was permanent, you’re screwed, it cannot be removed without damaging the paper or ink. If it was semipermanent, you can probably peel it up (carefully and slowly) with a bit of residue left behind. The best way to remove sticker adhesive residue is with another sticker. Rub the adhesive side of the sticker lightly with your finger to get some skin oil on it. This reduces the adhesion, so it won’t stick to the paper, but will stick to the adhesive residue.

But this assumes the sticker is on the paper booklet, not the CD case itself. If the sticker is on the case, just go buy another empty jewel case and stick everything in that.

I don’t know if this would be practical in your case (we ARE talking about one of those cardboard CD cases, not the plastic jewel boxes, right?), but I have found steam is always good for opening envelopes without damaging them - just stick it and a glass of water in the microwave for 30 seconds or so.

Look, I’m the first to admit that I’m no chemist, but I think that my rubber cement thinner (RCT) suggestion is getting a bum rap.

I’m merely suggesting you squirt a few drops of the stuff on your label, not bathe in it. To read these posts you’d think that the stuff was worse than plutonium. I strongly suspect that many, many other common workshop solvents are equally dangerous, especially if mishandled or abused. Granted, it may not be good for you, but every day thousands of paste-up artists use it as casually as mechanics, janitors and painters use their solvents – only in far more miniscule quantities. After all, it will probably take less than a quarter ounce to lift Wooba’s label.

Chas.E, a couple of things… RCT is not methy ethyl ketone. At least not according to the label on the can of Bestine RCT I’m holding in my hand as I type this. This can contains heptane. Furthermore, it will not dissolve dried printing ink as you claim. I will stake ten years of graphic arts experience on my statement. Nor will it attack plastic like acetone (and, I suspect, MEK) will.

To repeat a story that I posted here once before, there was a guy who learned of the remarkable virtues of heptane for benignly removing labels, grease, scuffs, etc. He devised an unforgetable demonstration for marketing his product. He stuck a sheet of toilet paper to a piece of duct tape then proceeded to peel them apart – intact – after a few squirts of his “ultimate Goo Gone” as he liked to call it.

per Chas

“rubber cement thinner” is methy ethyl ketone, also known as MEK. Heptane, MEK, acetone, and almost anything else like that will dissolve printing ink. And they are all toxic carcinogens.
My Merk index doesn’t list these solvents as toxic carcinogens. Could you provide a source I can confirm this with.

Hmm… I looked up the MSDS on MEK and it doesn’t list it as carcinogenic.

http://www.jps.net/johnray/msds/msds/mek.txt

I searched around google.com and found plenty of warnings on Heptane, though. Virtually all volatile hydrocarbon solvents are carcinogenic to some degree, some are so dangerous they should NEVER be used outside a laboratory. Some of them are WORSE than plutonium in carcinogenicity.

And stuyguy, in my 25 years in design and printing (including fine art printing) I have learned from sad experience that you NEVER apply anything to dried inks that could be used as a solvent in packaged inks. Bestine, MEK, acetone, heptane, tolulene, these are all used as ink solvents.