The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-19-2004, 08:30 AM

Blood capacity of a penis.

How much blood is in an average erect penis?
Advertisements  
Old 11-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Well, a friend of mine said that he couldn't have sex because every time he got an erection he fainted from lack of blood to his brain.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simmons
Well, a friend of mine said that he couldn't have sex because every time he got an erection he fainted from lack of blood to his brain.
Safe sex?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:21 AM

Could it be more than half a pint?

This is to settle a debate in our studio.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapcats
How much blood is in an average erect penis?
African or European?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Could it be more than half a pint?

This is to settle a debate in our studio.
half a pint?

two cups?

16 ounces?

Sheesh!!

A single popsicle is like 2 ozs.

Imagine one eight times bigger!!

Or are you guys especially endowed?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
half a pint?

two cups?

16 ounces?

Sheesh!
Half a pint is equal to a cup, or eight ounces.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

You are talking about an ounce of blood, or less. Even John Holmes didn't use a cup! (pun intended)
Old 11-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Half a pint is one cup, actually. A single cup is about 14.4 cubic inches.

Now, if we model an erect penis as a right circular cylinder -- a shape which it appears to closely resemble -- we can determine the volume contained therein. An average (white male) erect penis is 6.2 inches long and 3.7 inches in circumference. Total volume is then 6.75 cubic inches, a factor of two less than the OP's "half a pint," and this without subtracting initial, flaccid volume (although, in my experience, there is a noticeable difference between initial and final volume).

It is still possible, of course, that males with behemoth members, substantially outweighing the "average" penis, might require as much as a half pint of blood to fully awaken their trouser snake. Said member, though, would need to have a much increased length and/or cross-sectional area. Should the OP locate such a specimin, I would recommend a tightly controlled series of measurements in both possible states in order to assure accurate calculations.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:47 AM

For this fun experiment you can do at home you will need:
1 graduated cylinder
An erect penis (human)

Well the average volume of the human body is supposedly .1 m^3. The average amount of blood in a human is 6 quarts. Thats 60 quarts of blood per cubic meter of human. Quick!!! junior scientists, to the lab. Get a graduated cylinder fill it to the top with water, then stick an erected penis in there. If this turns you on, that's a bonus. Pull him out and measure how much the water level dropped due to water being forced out by the volume of the penis, that's the volume of the penis. Convert this into cubic meters (if it's in ML, divide by a billion), then multiply this number by the average quarts of blood in a cubic meter (60) to get a rough estimate of the answer to this question.

If your self-confident (or used someone elses penis), post the results here and we can have fun trying to derive your length.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:04 PM
SD Curator of Critters

It of course depends a lot on size.

Volume can be calculated by multiplying cross sectional area (pi times diameter) by length (using a cylinder as an approximation). Volume of blood can be estimated by subtracting the flaccid volume from the erect.

For an "average" penis, let's say the change is from 1.25 inch diameter x 3 inch length to 1.5 inch x 6 inch. That gives a volume change of about 106 cc, or about 3.5 oz. or 1/5 of a pint.

For someone of Long Dong Silver's dimension's, let's assume a change from 2 inch diameter x 9 inches to 3 inches x 18 inches. This gives a volume change of about 729 cc, or 24 oz, or 1.5 pints.

YPMV (Your Penis May Vary)
Old 11-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zut
An average (white male) erect penis is 6.2 inches long and 3.7 inches in circumference
Fascinating. Do you have any data on the average white female penis?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou
It's generally much smaller and typically in a boat.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
half a pint?

two cups?

16 ounces?

Sheesh!!

A single popsicle is like 2 ozs.

Imagine one eight times bigger!!

Or are you guys especially endowed?
OOPS!!

MY BAD!!
Old 11-19-2004, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth
African or European?
Or Errol Flynn?
Old 11-19-2004, 05:33 PM

I won't be dipping ANYTHING into ANYTHING ELSE while at work.

This isn't just a skin-deep question:
They don't start at the front and extend 6.2in out - the penisy flesh is embedded quite a bit further into the body - how far in is that bit and how much blood does it contain?
Old 11-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malodorous
Well the average volume of the human body is supposedly .1 m^3. The average amount of blood in a human is 6 quarts. Thats 60 quarts of blood per cubic meter of human. Quick!!! junior scientists, to the lab.
And get your F's.

.1 m is 3.937 inches. A bit small for a human body. Even cubed.

Especially cubed.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:33 PM

"Half a pint?? That's very nearly an armful!" Tony Hancock, 1959.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase
And get your F's.

Especially cubed.
It's not (.1 m)^3, it's .1m^3, that is not a tenth of a meter cubed but a tenth of a cubed meter.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:25 PM

Quote:
For this fun experiment you can do at home you will need:
1 graduated cylinder
An erect penis (human)

Well the average volume of the human body is supposedly .1 m^3. The average amount of blood in a human is 6 quarts. Thats 60 quarts of blood per cubic meter of human. Quick!!! junior scientists, to the lab. Get a graduated cylinder fill it to the top with water, then stick an erected penis in there. If this turns you on, that's a bonus. Pull him out and measure how much the water level dropped due to water being forced out by the volume of the penis, that's the volume of the penis. Convert this into cubic meters (if it's in ML, divide by a billion), then multiply this number by the average quarts of blood in a cubic meter (60) to get a rough estimate of the answer to this question.

If your self-confident (or used someone elses penis), post the results here and we can have fun trying to derive your length.
Maybe I'm missing something in your post, but if the question is specifcally how much blood is in the erect penis, would one not follow this procedure?

1. Insert flaccid penis into graduated beaker filled with water
2. Remove penis and measure how much water is left.
3. Subtract that measurement from the original volume of water and that's the volume of a flaccid penis.
4. Insert erect penis into graduated beaker filled with water
5. Remove penis and measure how much water is left.
6. Subtract that measurement from the original volume of water and that's the volume of an erect penis.
7. Subtract the volume obtained in step 3 from the volume obtained in step 6 and that's the volume of blood that was transferred to the penis to make it erect.

The reason I would suggest going to these lengths (no pun intended) is because your calculation of blood/m^3 would be an average and there could be significant differences in blood/m^3 between various body parts.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou
It is quite a bit smaller if she has been on anti-androgens for some time.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
It is quite a bit smaller if she has been on anti-androgens for some time.
::: applause ::::

A brilliant straight answer to an ironic rhetorical question! Only on this board....
Old 11-20-2004, 03:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase
And get your F's.

Especially cubed.
Think about it. A cubic meter is a thousand liters. If the volume of a human is 0.1 cubic meters, then that's a hundred liters. Assuming we're somewhere around the same density as water (give or take - we're within the same ballpark) that 0.1 cubic meters equals a hundred kilos. Since the average human probably doesn't (yet) weigh a hundred kilos, then the 0.1 number is not a bit small - it must have been rounded up.

It also means that if you store them efficiently, you could fit a lot more children onto a school bus.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Frank
Maybe I'm missing something in your post, but if the question is specifcally how much blood is in the erect penis, would one not follow this procedure?

1. Insert flaccid penis into graduated beaker filled with water
2. Remove penis and measure how much water is left.
3. Subtract that measurement from the original volume of water and that's the volume of a flaccid penis.
4. Insert erect penis into graduated beaker filled with water
5. Remove penis and measure how much water is left.
6. Subtract that measurement from the original volume of water and that's the volume of an erect penis.
7. Subtract the volume obtained in step 3 from the volume obtained in step 6 and that's the volume of blood that was transferred to the penis to make it erect.

The reason I would suggest going to these lengths (no pun intended) is because your calculation of blood/m^3 would be an average and there could be significant differences in blood/m^3 between various body parts.

/Slight hijack but relevant/ Shades of Jimi Hendrix (a client of this or similar site, according to news of the day):

http://www.cynthiaplastercaster.com/
Old 11-20-2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Call me Frank, your right my method assumes that blood is spread evenly through the body, and thus is only a rough estimate. It does estimate the total amount of blood, though, which is what the OP asked for. If I'm understanding you correctly, your method only finds the difference in the amount of blood in between an erect penis and a flacid one.

excalibre, your right my estimate for the average human volume seems a bit much. It was just the first one I found on google. As to this:
Quote:
It also means that if you store them efficiently, you could fit a lot more children onto a school bus.
I've been trying to sell my idea for a "child pulper" to the county school board for years. Unfortunately the de-pulpification process, which returns the children to their original, inefficent shapes is still somewhat flawed.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:24 AM

Couldn't you just find an erect penis, cut it off, and squeeze it into a graduated cylinder until it is flaccid?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I've been trying to sell my idea for a "child pulper" to the county school board for years. Unfortunately the de-pulpification process, which returns the children to their original, inefficent shapes is still somewhat flawed.
I don't see why that should delay the implementation of the working module. After all, the first can opener wasn't invented until ten years after the first canned food.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:23 AM

Quote:
An average (white male) erect penis is 6.2 inches long and 3.7 inches in circumference.
BULLSHIT!!!!!

I've read cites that say they're closer to 5.4 inches long. Damnit.

My bookmarks got wiped or I'd link the study. I found it here... someone will be a"long" eventually.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:11 AM

Couldn't you take the blood pressure of a man without an erection and then take it again when he's aroused - wouldn't the increased volume cause a measurable drop in bp? If the ammount of blood in him was known (or estimated) couldn't the volume of his penis be calculate?
Old 11-21-2004, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika
Couldn't you just find an erect penis, cut it off, and squeeze it into a graduated cylinder until it is flaccid?
Right. Tell me again how sheep's bladders can be employed to predict earthquakes.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibre
Think about it. A cubic meter is a thousand liters. If the volume of a human is 0.1 cubic meters, then that's a hundred liters. Assuming we're somewhere around the same density as water (give or take - we're within the same ballpark) that 0.1 cubic meters equals a hundred kilos. Since the average human probably doesn't (yet) weigh a hundred kilos, then the 0.1 number is not a bit small - it must have been rounded up.

You're being whooshed. As Malodorous noted I was jokingly putting the parentheses in a different place, making it (0.1m)3. That's 0.001 cubic meter, or one liter.

There's a joke in here about dense packing of penises, but I'm not going there.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:39 AM

Could someone work it out for me in ml - assuming 5.5 is the average. thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:51 AM

Sorry - that was rude. I'm under pressure to come up with a number. If I get the time I'll work it out myself.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:15 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Sorry - that was rude. I'm under pressure to come up with a number. If I get the time I'll work it out myself.
I already calculated the volume above. Just multiply the cross-sectional area (pi times diameter in cm) by length in cm, which will give you cubic cm, which equals ml.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Experimental data

Chronos Kitchen Labs being sorely underfunded, our facility unfortunately does not contain graduated cylindars of a size appropriate to perform this experiment. Improvisations in equipment were therefore necessary. The apparatus for this experiment consisted of the following:

1 Cleveland Indians souvenir beverage cup, volume approx. 24 fluid ounces
1 plastic measuring cup, volume 1 American cup (8 fluid ounces
1 plastic measuring cup, volume 1/8 American cup (1 fluid ounce)
1 adult male human penis, 27.5 years old, Caucasian
1 adult male human scrotum, same specs as above
1 bathtub
Sufficient quantities of DHMO

Because of the lack of a measuring vessel of appropriate dimension in Chronos Kitchen Labs, the Cleveland Indians souvenir cup was used as the displacement chamber. The displacement chamber was filled to the brim with DHMO, and placed in the bathtub (which served as overflow containment system), where the human penis was lowered into the displacement chamber to the maximum extent allowed (the edges of the displacement chamber were flush with the surface of the skin surrounding the experimental specimen). Experimental difficulties were found in attempting to lower the penis alone into the chamber, and the scrotum was therefore lowered into the chamber as well. The staff of Chronos Kitchen Labs recognizes that this may introduce random error into the measured results; however, since the scrotum was included in both trials, no systematic effect should be observed in the difference. After removal of the specimen, the displacement chamber was refilled using the measuring cups, to determine the volume of DHMO displaced by the specimen (and therefore of the specimen itself).

The first trial was performed with the specimen in a flaccid state. On measuring, 1.0 cups (8.0 fluid ounces) of DHMO were displaced in this experiment. The experimental specimen was then exposed to a set of visual, auditory, and tactile stimuli until the specimen reached a turgid state, whereupon the experiment was repeated. On this second trial, the measurement procedure was repeated, and it was found that 1 cup 6.1 ounces (14.1 fluid ounces) of DHMO were displaced.

The sample size for this experiment was 100% of the specimens available to Chronos Kitchen Labs for study, and we may therefore reasonably conclude that specimens in this population increase in volume by an average of 6.1 fluid ounces. Probable sources for error in this experiment include spillage of DHMO from the displacement chamber while specimen was inserted and measurement error in reading volumes from the measuring cups. However, since these sources of error can be expected to have applied to the same degree in both trials, a determination cannot be made whether this measurement represents an underestimate or overestimate of the true value.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
Chronos Kitchen Labs being sorely underfunded, our facility unfortunately does not contain graduated cylindars of a size appropriate to perform this experiment. Improvisations in equipment were therefore necessary. The apparatus for this experiment consisted of the following:

1 Cleveland Indians souvenir beverage cup, volume approx. 24 fluid ounces
1 plastic measuring cup, volume 1 American cup (8 fluid ounces
1 plastic measuring cup, volume 1/8 American cup (1 fluid ounce)
1 adult male human penis, 27.5 years old, Caucasian
1 adult male human scrotum, same specs as above
1 bathtub
Sufficient quantities of DHMO
GOD I love this message board!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:55 PM

Chronos, you measured the displacement of your genitalia in both a flaccid and turgid state and then you posted the results of those measurements on an internet message board for all to see.

That took balls, man.

................someone was bound to say it sooner or later...
Old 11-22-2004, 10:07 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
we may therefore reasonably conclude that specimens in this population increase in volume by an average of 6.1 fluid ounces.
Substantially more than my theoretical calculation of 3.5 fluid ounces, but not too far out of the ballpark (or Cleveland Indians souvenir cup). Still, it's somewhat less than half a pint.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:08 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Oh, and Bravo! That's in the true spirit of the SDSAB!

but I ain't repeating it.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:56 AM

My measuring device was only accurate to increments of 1 ounce. 6 ounces was the difference here, too. I used a narrower glass than the 24 oz cup, so there was no scrotum measured.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Note to self: If visiting Chez Chronos, decline offer of "fresh cup of tea."
Old 11-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

What, it's not like I just put all the equipment back into the cupboards. I'm going to wash everything before using it for ingestables, of course. And I didn't use either of my tea mugs, either: A souvenir cup would be lousy for hot beverages. Seriously, it's not like I [url="http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=198659[/url], or anything.

Kudos to The_Llama, by the way. The cornerstone of science is repeatability of experiments. And it's generally considered valid to estimate measurements to within one decimal place past the smallest marked increment, which is how I got my .1 ounce.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:32 PM

Quote:
What, it's not like I just put all the equipment back into the cupboards.
Of course not. Presumably, some of it went back into your pants.

It's threads like this that come to mind when people ask me incredulously, "You paid to be on that board?" Why yes, yes I did.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Okay, we know how much blood is in the penis; so how much semen is in it?

Old 11-23-2004, 11:58 PM

I tried to talk my wife into helping with the second half of this experiment, but we ended up just having sex. I sort of forgot to put my Cock in a Cup® after we got going.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Okay, we know how much blood is in the penis; so how much semen is in it?
If you mean how much comes out of it, that's easy: five cubic centimeters.

And my link in my previous post was supposed to be "Seriously, it's not like I pan-fried my own semen, or anything.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simmons
I'm assuming this is a recessive trait...
Old 11-28-2004, 11:18 PM

Nah he just comes from a long line of necro-fantasy fetish females who look for this trait in men...
Old 11-28-2004, 11:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth
African or European?
I chuckled at this one.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:20 AM

Quote:
That took balls, man.
Apparently the size of the mug made it easier that way.

Bravo Chronos - and there was I wondering where Mangeorge was when we needed him.