Old 11-24-2004, 03:45 AM

Children's music that doesn't suck.

Cinnamon Little loves music. But I'll be damned if I'm going to subject myself to Barney and the Wiggles. Plus, I don't think kids should be pandered to with mindless drivel. They ought to be exposed to decent music (and a variety of it) as early as possible, so as not to warp their musical sensibilities beyond repair. So I've been on the lookout for great children's music. So far I've found this:

The Playground, Tony Bennett
I've had this one for about a year or so and I love it! My Mom is poignant and Tony's delivery throughout is charming. The kids singing is not especially terrible in the usual sense, but the jazz makes up for it. Yes, Elmo can be exceedingly annoying, but he's not on every song, so it's tolerable in small doses. And, if it takes Elmo to warm up a five-year-old to Tony Bennett, then so be it.

Gather Round: Songs for kids and other folks (a Starbucks Coffee Co. compilation)
I got this CD the day it came in and I can't stop listening to it. Cinnamon Little won't let me stop listening to it! I think it goes a long way to share the music of your youth with your children. Now, my daughter loves Car Car as much as I did when Donovan covered us this Woody Guthrie gem. Tom Paxton is here (yay!) as is Jerry Garcia/David Grisman. I wish I had a picture of the curious look on CL's face when she heard Dylan's typical mushmouth in Froggie Went A-Courtin' ("uh huh"). "Sweetie, that's Bob Dylan. He takes some getting used to." Okaaay... You really gotta share your past musical loves with your kids. It's good bonding. That said, Carole King's Really Rosie is definitely going to be added to our collection this year.

The Planet Sleeps is a collection of lullabies from around the world and was putting me to sleep while I was pregnant. It's been putting my daughter to sleep ever since. I think it's easier to fall asleep to soft music with lyrics you can't understand. And these are really beautiful (and unusual) lullabies. My daughter wants to know what they're saying and since their is no translation provided I just make up lyrics sticking to a "goodnight, all is well, love & peace" theme. Good enough for her. Though the languages found on this CD are varied, the message is not lost. *yawn* in a good way.

I love opera and classical music. Hopefully, Cinnamon Little will grow to share this affinity, so these two are on our Amazon wishlist:
David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf". The Russian composers have been a favorite of mine for a long time (I'm listening to Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto at the moment). My dad, a veteran classical music lover, introduced me to Prokofiev via Peter and the Wolf when I was a kid. But that version didn't have Ziggy Stardust narrating. I feel kind of cheated now. By the way, they changed the ending on this CD to a more kid-friendly outcome. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But it's still got a killer voice attached to it.

On the opera side:
The Classical Child at the Opera
I hope it's as good as it sounds. English translations should make it more accessible to both of us.

I don't have this one yet, but it's as good as in the bag: Singin' in the Bathtub, John Lithgow
Yeah, it is the transvestite ex-football player from Garp. The very same guy who totally freaked me out in Twilight Zone, The Movie. ("That's, thats...I love Creedence!) He's totally amazing! It's big band, folks! I hate his voice, but his delivery is so over-the-top it's entertaining. I don't know how long I'll be able to listen to this, but I'm going to give it a try because it's so out there, it's got to be good.

So, what do your kids listen to?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

My almost-five-year-old girl won't go to sleep without her Veggie Tales CD on (Veggie Tales is Christian music, but most of it isn't in-your-face Christian, just teaching moral values); I don't mind listening to it, either. It's witty, very sing-alongable (okay, I know that's not really a word), and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny. She also likes Laurie Berkner, who did a series of kids music videos for the digital cable channel Noggin.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:59 AM

You may struggle to find them but Aussie artist Franciscus Henry released kid's songs that were pleasant enough and well enough arranged to bear repeat listening.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:06 AM

My kids are big now.
When they were babes in arms, it was Puff the Magic Dragon and the Beatles' (white album) Goodnight. Gartan Mother's Lullaby from the album For the Children.
There are some nice selections on that album.
For the Children

In the toddler days it was Raffi, and he still works: I teach preschool and the kids love him. Also cajun and reggae and Celtic. Songs with positive energy.

I raised my kids on all kinds of music, from Nanci Griffith singing with the Chieftains to Warren Zevon to Neil Young (Cinnamon Girl!) to James Brown to Tower of Power to Beastie Boys to Beethoven to Vivaldi to Pogues to Bare Naked Ladies etc etc etc

They Might Be Giants has some nice stuff for kids. I love those guys.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:47 AM

Billy Jonas is a songwriter and percussionist who does a lot of family-oriented music. His music is catchy enough that kids like it, but well-written and well-played enough that it doesn't drive adults crazy. His CDs/DVDs geared towards kids are "Everybody's in the Band," "What Kind of Cat Are You?!" and "Bangin' and Sangin' ."

He also gives great concerts, if you ever get the chance to see him live.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprese
They Might Be Giants has some nice stuff for kids. I love those guys.
That's a great suggestion. Funny songs, but the boys are very articulate with complex (and usualy funny/silly)lyrics. In the same vein, but slightly less frenetic, Christine Lavine might be worth a shot. Story telling (and funny) folk music.

If you want to try classical music, the two classics are Peter and the Wolf and The Carnival of the Animals
Old 11-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

The first songs my kids got addicted to were by The Beach Boys. Their Good Vibrations compilation CD had the grooves worn off of it....well, if a CD had grooves. You haven't lived until you've swung your 3-year-old daughter around the kitchen to "Do Ya Wanna Dance" and played air guitar and clapped along with your 6-year-old son to "I Get Around."

I tend to play grown up music that is accessible. They also love The Ramones - although of course the lyrics are questionable on a number of songs.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

For quality children's music you should check out John McCutcheon. He's a brilliant instrumentalist. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a better hammered dulcimer player anywhere. Especially recommended are Mail Myself to You (1988) and Bigger Than Yourself (1997).
Old 11-24-2004, 08:58 AM

Mr. Ray has a second album out

http://www.mrray.com/startdreaming.htm

I really like the first album, will have to order the second. My kids are 5 and 8 and they have enjoyed this album for the last 4 years. That's pretty good considering the 8 year old already likes Hillary Duff. The 5 year old doesn't want anything but John Mellencamp.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:07 AM

I recommend the highly entertaining and entirely subversive compilation from Bloodshot Records, The Bottle Let Me Down - Songs for Bumpy Car Rides. Bloodshot is the record label that brings you Ryan Adams and Neko Case.

From the Bloodshot website:
Quote:
On this latest release we hit you with twenty-six songs that donít suck; songs full of cowbells, wolf calls, banjos, bongos, hiccups and rubber ducks intended for the amusement of children and arrested adolescents everywhere. Bringing them to life are a dazzling array of roots rock heroes like Rosie Flores, Kelly Hogan, Alejandro Escovedo, Robbie Fulks, The Handsome Family, Waco Brothers, Cornell Hurd, Jim & Jennie and the Pinetops, Jane Baxter Miller, Asylum Street Spankers, Rex Hobart, Jon Rauhouse, Split Lip Rayfield, The Meat Purveyors, Freakwater, Trailer Bride, Kim Lenz, and more. Together they tell us itís tough to be a kid sometimes, bath time is fun, bodily functions are funny and itís good to be different.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:16 AM

Trout Fishing in America is my favorite kids' group. I'm particularly fond of "I Think I'll Need a Bandaid" and "Are We There Yet?"

We didn't listen to much kiddie music when my daughter was a tot - a litle bit of Joanie Bartels and Raffi, a couple Disney soundtracks, but she pretty much listened to whatever I listened to, and now at 14, she likes almost every kind of music there is - folk, rock, country, jazz, R&B, moldy-oldies, classical, you name it. She's not an opera fan, and she likes quite a bit of emo-punk stuff that does very little for me, but she's just as likely to be listening to Leo Kottke or Tom Petty as she is Bowling For Soup.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:49 AM

Lots of good stuff mentioned already. I'd like to add Priscilla Herdman (lovely voice), Arlo Guthrie, and Tom Chapin (Harry's brother; you and your child won't be disappointed in Tom Chapin's stuff) and lastly [for now], Tom Pease.

Enjoy!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:36 AM

A Charlie Brown Christmas - The Vince Guaraldi Trio. Great music. We play it every Christmas, over and over again.

My kid is a bit atypical, I'd guess. Since she was 5, her favorite artist was Beck.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:36 AM

We're very fond of Philadelphia Chickens. Lyrics by Sandra Boynton and an all-star cast, including Kevin Kline, Patty Lupone, Laura Linney, and Meryl Streep.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:50 AM

At the risk of stating the obvious...

Two words: SESAME STREET
Old 11-24-2004, 11:54 AM

My kids (4 and 2) like Joe McDermott.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdad
For quality children's music you should check out John McCutcheon. He's a brilliant instrumentalist. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a better hammered dulcimer player anywhere. Especially recommended are Mail Myself to You (1988) and Bigger Than Yourself (1997).
I second this one. We even got to see him at our kids' school ten years ago or so. My kids, now old, liliked Raffi just a bit, and we never got bored of him. Another possibility is old folk songs by the likes of Burl Ives. I'm sure they're available somewhere today, we used my wifes old 78s from the '50s.

You might also try some oldies collections - from the 50s and 60s. But you never can tell what is going to work - my kids loved the Sailors Hornpipe from the end of Tubular Bells.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:25 PM

Jerry Garcia and David Grisman did an album of traditional folk tunes called "Not For Children Only." Terrific stuff.

"There ain't no bugs on me..."
Old 11-24-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOnWry
Trout Fishing in America is my favorite kids' group. I'm particularly fond of "I Think I'll Need a Bandaid" and "Are We There Yet?"
I second Trout Fishing in America: they have albums for both adults and children, but I've been a big fan of their Family Music Party album for the past four years (I don't have any kids! ).

My favorites are "We Weary Deer" and "What I Want is a Proper Cup of Coffee;" also, "Back When I Could Fly" still touches me, and I've been singing their "Lullaby" to my friend's 3-year-old son since he was born.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Putumayo Kids has some wonderful world music compilations, and much of their adult material is acceptable for kids.

Imagination Movers is a group out of New Orleans whose music is very upbeat and poppy, but the lyrics aren't condescending. I LOVE these guys.

I recently got a CD called For the Kids too!. This is a compilation of songs by people like Lisa Loeb, Jason Mraz, They Might Be Giants, and Matthew Sweet. Good material, and good choice of artists. The songs are fun, but the voices and music aren't syrupy-sweet.

For classical music, especially for older kids, Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra by Benjamin Britten is a good introduction; it's used in college music appreciation classes.

For older kids, especially those with a bit of imagination and language skills, "program music" is good. This is stuff like the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovski, The Moldau by Smetana, that sort of thing. It's fun to sit back and try to figure out the story by the themes. There are some good recordings of these. I try to stay away from the "Baby Mozart" stuff; Aaron's been listening to (and enjoying some of) regular classical since he was very young.

Robin
Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 PM

I'd hardly put the Wiggles in the same class with Barney; Jeff and Anthony were members of Australian band The Cockroaches before going back to college and getting degrees in early childhood education, as were Anthony's brothers Paul and John, who are both involved in the musical aspects of the Wiggles to varying degrees; Murray is an occasional member of one of my favorite Australian bands, Mental as Anything, and Greg does sing quite well, even if his choice of solo material is somewhat suspect. I for one find them quite listenable musically -- and as a grown-up, the lyrics aren't written for me.

On the other hand, an artist who's been a huge hit with my kids over the years and whose material seems to appeal to both kids and adults has been mentioned already: Tom Chapin. Chapin's a wonderful guitarist and banjo (and digeridoo) player, singer, songwriter, etc., but a lot of the credit for his kids' albums has to go to John Forster, who wrote or co-wrote many of the best and funniest songs and produced many of the albums.

Given what I listen to, my kids also have some slightly anomalous favorites as well. "Do You Love Me?" by the Contours, "Ain't Too Proud to Beg", by the Temptations, and James Brown's "I Feel Good (I Got You)" are hot with them right now. My five-year-old daughter is quite fond of Don Dixon's "Girls L.T.D." (aka "Most of the Girls Like to Dance But Only Some of the Boys Do").
Old 11-24-2004, 01:01 PM

We like Reggae For Kids. My three-year-old loves to dance and sing to Yelloman's version of This Old Man.

I will third They Might Be Giants, especially the album No which was written for kids (and adults) and is fantastic.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:07 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Don't go dissing the Wiggles or you'll have to answer to me. My girls just went to see them in concert and had a wonderful time. As an adult I find them very listenable. My five year old is getting a little old for them (but still wants to go see them next year). My three year old still loves them.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:15 PM

Hey!

I like the Wiggles.

That said, and to show you what a tool I am, I like the Shrek soundtrack.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Plus, I don't think kids should be pandered to with mindless drivel.
Yes, because songs about being polite and the joys of reading are NOT what you want your two year-old listening to.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

However, in my experience, it doesn't really matter... nobody listens to the lyrics in pop/rock songs until they're about 16 or so, so play what you want.

For example, Sophie just loves the music from the Buffy musical... she'll even sing parts.

"I just wanna be.... a-wiiiiiiive."

So adorable. :love:
Old 11-24-2004, 01:28 PM

We all (myself, my wife, my 8-girl and my 4-girl) like this guy: Tom Chapin . Clever lyrics, catchy tunes, etc. We all (except for the 4-girl) dislike the wiggles and Barney is on our fatwa list (you better hide, Barney! )
Old 11-24-2004, 01:32 PM

I actually really like For the Kids. There's a second edition out now, but it's children's songs as done by popular artists like Cake, Barenaked Ladies, Jason Mraz, Sarah McLachlan, etc.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT
However, in my experience, it doesn't really matter... nobody listens to the lyrics in pop/rock songs until they're about 16 or so, so play what you want.
You say that because obviously YOUR three-year-old kid didn't belt out the following in the grocery store:

"Sodomeeeeeeeeee, fawashioooooooh, cunniwingus, pedawasteeeee....."

Old 11-24-2004, 01:55 PM

I used to listen to Pete Seeger and the Kingston Trio when I was a little kid (yeah, I know, shows how old I am.)

We got my nephew a CD with some cajun tunes and another one with cowboy songs. As far as letting kids listen to the Ramones goes, I actually considered getting him a tape of their songs but I thought "Beat the Brat" would frighten him. (Plus there could be trouble with the CPS if he walked into his preschool singing "Now I wanna sniff some glue.")
Old 11-24-2004, 02:22 PM

Wow, great recommendations, people! Thanks!

Hi, norinew! I'm kind of tossed on Veggie Tales. It's most definitely aimed at children, like Raffi, and doesn't really hold a lot of appeal for me. There's probably quite a few songs I would skip simply because the voices are like nails on a chalkboard. A Veggie Tales CD would likely be relegated to her room. Not for car listening.

Laurie Berkner on Noggin: those songs get stuck in your head something fierce! I didn't think her CDs really lived up to the songs chosen for the videos, but I think we would both enjoy them. She's got a nice voice and very creative songwriting.

don't ask, you're right! I can't find any Franciscus Henry.

Caprese, I can't understand it, but little one does not like Puff the Magic Dragon (on the Starbucks compilation) one bit. Even Mr. Cinnamon prefers to skip this song in the car. And why-oh-why does everyone feel the need to say, "Heh, heh. They're talkin' about pot," when it comes on? It's really a neat song. Or maybe I just smoked too much back in the day.

My mom and I played lots of oldies for my son when he was little. He's 14 now, but if you can get him to sing Love Potion #9, he still knows all the words. And he'll sing Don McLean's American Pie with a great deal of feeling. His lullaby tape was a James Taylor double album (Sweet Baby James / Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon). It became tradition for me to sing Sweet Baby James at bedtime. Sadly, I couldn't get him hooked on Neil Young.

I like the fact that you included funk in your child's musical exposure. It really helps to pick the right stuff though. Daughter becomes apoplectic when I play my funk mix in the car and Shit. Goddamn. Get off yer ass and jam! comes around. Don't roll yer eyes at me. She is very proper, despite my wayward parenting, and frowns on this type of language. So much for trying to teach her that words only have power if you give them power. Perhaps I should try some other Parliament/Clinton/P-funk tunes. The upside is she liked Sly & the Family Stone from my Woodstock DVD. Well, actually, most of the DVD was a big hit with her.

Mr.Cinnamon (TMBG fan) sings The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas and Meet James Ensore to the great amusement of our little person and me. I really must relocate that CD to my car. Those guys are hilarious! If you like TMBG, you're only a step away from Trout Fishing in America. "Well, there's I..II..III...wheels on a big rig!"
Old 11-24-2004, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT
Yes, because songs about being polite and the joys of reading are NOT what you want your two year-old listening to.
Sheesh, they get plenty of that in school / at church / at home, don't they? All I'm saying is music is supposed to be entertaining, not a lecture on being a good person. There's such a variety of music out there that kids who are forced to listen to music just for kids are missing out on a lot. Expand their horizons for goodness sake. Play them something you enjoy and you get yet another opportunity to bond. Gee, you might even find them singing something a little more meaty than "One, two, buckle my shoe."
Old 11-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOnWry
You say that because obviously YOUR three-year-old kid didn't belt out the following in the grocery store:

"Sodomeeeeeeeeee, fawashioooooooh, cunniwingus, pedawasteeeee....."

OMG, that's funny!

I feel your pain.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Girl
Sheesh, they get plenty of that in school / at church / at home, don't they? All I'm saying is music is supposed to be entertaining, not a lecture on being a good person. There's such a variety of music out there that kids who are forced to listen to music just for kids are missing out on a lot. Expand their horizons for goodness sake. Play them something you enjoy and you get yet another opportunity to bond. Gee, you might even find them singing something a little more meaty than "One, two, buckle my shoe."
Yeah, my apologies for sounding a little beyatchy there.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Wow, great recommendations, people! Thanks!

Hi, norinew! I'm kind of tossed on Veggie Tales. It's most definitely aimed at children, like Raffi, and doesn't really hold a lot of appeal for me. There's probably quite a few songs I would skip simply because the voices are like nails on a chalkboard. A Veggie Tales CD would likely be relegated to her room. Not for car listening.
The Silly Songs DVD (I assume there is a CD) was catchier than we imagined (and we're all atheists at my house.) My daughter's boyfriend came to poo-poo it, and got hooked also. "Ceboooooo, Cebooo." Lots of clever and funny stuff on that one. However the songs on the Viking DVD - not so much.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:47 PM

Raffi in Concert with the Rise & Shine Band is still my all time favorite children's CD.

Time to Sing, Rise and Shine, Baby Beluga, The More We Get Together, and on and on.

Great stuff!
Old 11-24-2004, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley Park
Raffi in Concert with the Rise & Shine Band is still my all time favorite children's CD.

Time to Sing, Rise and Shine, Baby Beluga, The More We Get Together, and on and on.

Great stuff!
My children are now 21, 18, and 15. Raffi's is one of their musical cornerstones. Just a few nights ago my daughter came into my room with a Raffi songbook, and went through it, singing the first few lines from every song in it she knew. My 21 year old son will sometimes break into Baby Beluga.

We have a New Year's Day tradition in our family, which is to sit at the kitchen table and sing I've Been Workin' on the Railroad before breakfast. Without Raffi's inspiration from records such as More Singable Songs, this silly and treasured tradition would never have come to be.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:34 PM

My kid's favorite is Beethoven's Wig. The first set of songs are popular classicals with very creative lyrics, then the music repeats without lyrics. My kids like both equally well.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...65465?v=glance

it's full of goo, it's such a problem to shampoo
your mother called, she said you would look better bald....

da da da dum...
Old 11-24-2004, 10:22 PM

Today I saw parts of the Baby Bach video (they have Baby Mozart too) - music was awesome, plus the video - very trippy. Puppet chicken talking to puppet sunflower, black and white mechanical kitty zooming on and off the screen, close-ups of plastic fish from those fake aquariums, toy giraffe wiggling around, and shimmery wind chimes swinging in the breeze from up close. If I hadn't been on the job, I wouldv'e sat right down with the baby and been fascinated as hell.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Cinnamon Little loves music. But I'll be damned if I'm going to subject myself to Barney and the Wiggles.

[snip]

So, what do your kids listen to?
I'll third the recommendation for Laurie Berkner. My almost 5-yearold has been obsessed with her (he plans to marry her) for months and unlike the Wiggles, I'm not screaming inside when I hear the music. I actually like most of her songs and find myself humming them around the house. I hope she starts touring more.

Baby Mozart is also very unthreatening. I dislike most of the other Baby Einstein stuff; they should have stopped after the first. The triplets like Baby Mozart and ignore the other ones.

Karen
Old 11-24-2004, 11:32 PM

Forgot to add that my son is developing a taste for musicals; I listen to soundtracks a lot and he really likes the soundtrack to "Wicked". He requests that we listen to the song "Popular" in the car a lot (kind of an upbeat, silly song). I try to make sure that I have Wicked or something else fairly harmless in the player as opposed to Avenue Q when he's in the car.

I don't need him going around the house singing "The Internet is for Porn." ;>

Karen
Old 11-24-2004, 11:44 PM

Best. Goddam lullaby. Collection. Evar.

Cool tunes for the green-oriented. Simply Mahvelous. Really. Love it still.

And uh...load this.

Of course, BB King/Eric Clapton has always been Da $#!+ for my youngest...we already know she's gonna marry some 90 year old rich guy, and love him to death for the rest of his life.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCD
I recommend the highly entertaining and entirely subversive compilation from Bloodshot Records, The Bottle Let Me Down - Songs for Bumpy Car Rides. Bloodshot is the record label that brings you Ryan Adams and Neko Case.
I'll heartily second that recommendation.

I will also recommend Somebody Needs a Timeout, a children's benefit CD featuring lots of Canadian indie bands.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Best. Goddam lullaby. Collection. Evar.

Cool tunes for the green-oriented. Simply Mahvelous. Really. Love it still.

And uh...load this.

Of course, BB King/Eric Clapton has always been Da $#!+ for my youngest...we already know she's gonna marry some 90 year old rich guy, and love him to death for the rest of his life.
Time for a hijack: Hey, Inigo, good to see you back! {{Inigo}}
Old 11-25-2004, 11:42 AM

Cinnamon Girl
Maybe Puff the Magic Dragon is just too slow and dramatic for some listeners; we were pretty much done with it when the kids became preschool age. (But I still like it!)
Regardless, Pete Yarrow swears up and down that it is not about pot.
The land of Hanalei is actually a beautiful bay at Kauai (Hawaii.)

The coolest thing about exposing your kid to all kinds of good music is the payback when they get big: my 15 and 21 year olds have turned me on to some really good tunes in recent years, and the hits just keep on comin'.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:27 PM

Actually, The Monster (my former housemate's little girl) loved Gilbert & Sullivan Operettas, both to watch and to listen to. She was also corrupted by my tastes in filk, learning to love "Monster's Lullaby" by Meg Davis.

Quote:
Nyahh, nyahh, your mother eats toads; may a girl find a wart on the tip of your nose. Ding, dong! The cat's in the well - so run and fetch another one.
I'll also second recommendations for Trout Fishing in America, Kingston Trio, and Peter, Paul and Mary (especially the album/disc: Peter, Paul and Mommy.).
Old 11-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Folk singer Tom Paxton has some children's CDS out. The first song he ever wrote was "The Marvelous Toy," so you know he's good.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Please tell me yourkids watch The Wombles on TV. If not, they are wasting their childhood.

Mike Batt made a number of albums to tie in with the show. They can be listened to on two levels. The little ones hear their favorite TV characters singing about being a Womble. The grown ups hear clever musical parodies of various different genres of music, from Elvis and the Beach Boys to Ennio Moricone to Mozart & Grieg.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprese
Cinnamon Girl
Maybe Puff the Magic Dragon is just too slow and dramatic for some listeners; we were pretty much done with it when the kids became preschool age. (But I still like it!)
Regardless, Pete Yarrow swears up and down that it is not about pot.
The land of Hanalei is actually a beautiful bay at Kauai (Hawaii.)

The coolest thing about exposing your kid to all kinds of good music is the payback when they get big: my 15 and 21 year olds have turned me on to some really good tunes in recent years, and the hits just keep on comin'.
Yeah, I never thought it was about pot either, but apparently that myth will never die. I am lamenting the fact that I think it tarnishes a beautiful song. I don't know if it's ever been established with any certainty that Kauai's Hanalei is represented by the mythical land of Honalee, but Kauaians like to think so. There is a land formation at one end of the crescent bay that is supposed to resemble that of a dragon lying on its belly (presumably waiting for Jackie Paper). Jury's still out on this one. But it does remind *wistfully* me of home...*

Inigo, thanks for the rec on the lullaby CD. Just from the Amazon previews, I'd say it is fabulous: a perfect addition to The Planet Sleeps! Duly added to wishlist.

Also added to wishlist:

The Bottle Let Me Down: Songs for Bumpy Wagon Rides (Bloodshot Records). Thank you, thank you CBCD!

Big Blues: Blues Music for Kids

For the Kids! Thanks Chastain86!

No!, They Might Be Giants. TY to all the rabid TMBG fans out there!

There will not be any Raffi CDs in the Cinnamon household, however. I woke up inexplicably at 1AM this morning to the tune of Bananaphone in my head. Since this isn't The Pit, I won't say what Raffi can do with his Bananaphone, as a result. That's just more than I can handle. Don't be annoyed with me; more Raffi for you then.

* Kauai resident for seven years. Still have family there.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCD
My children are now 21, 18, and 15. Raffi's is one of their musical cornerstones. Just a few nights ago my daughter came into my room with a Raffi songbook, and went through it, singing the first few lines from every song in it she knew. My 21 year old son will sometimes break into Baby Beluga.

We have a New Year's Day tradition in our family, which is to sit at the kitchen table and sing I've Been Workin' on the Railroad before breakfast. Without Raffi's inspiration from records such as More Singable Songs, this silly and treasured tradition would never have come to be.

And it looks like it's shaping up to be that way with my family as well.

If you don't have it already, I highly recommend getting the Raffi in Concert DVD. You get three Raffi concerts in one, each from a different Raffi era: Unplugged Raffi (solo, 1984), Raffi with the Rise & Shine Band (1988), featuring future jazz pianist-composer Nancy Walker, and Eco-Raffi on Broadway (1993).

All three are great shows! He really is a fantastic performer.