Well, my 3 year old daughter is partial to Cocaine

The Eric Clapton song, that is. Came across it on the radio today whilst driving through town and she said she liked “that funny sounding song on the radio.”

“That song makes my nose tingly!”

When the VunderKind was about that age, he drove Vunderwife and I nuts because he kept buggin us to play “The Shoop-Shoop Song” :confused: and :dubious:

Finally, one day he was in the car with us, and a certain Beatles tune came on the radio. “The Shoop-Shoop Song! The Shoop-Shoop Song!” It was Come Together.

Of course, I was proud of his taste in geezer rock. After all, I’d sing Hotel California as a lullaby when he still wore diapers.

My sons never listen(ed) to kiddie music with us. It was my wife’s C&W, our mutual 80s music, and my Jurassic Rock collection - plus a fair amount of Grateful Dead. One of my older sons favorite songs was Casey Jones.

He is now almost 13, and I was playing it again. I hear from the backseat, “Dad - is this a DRUG song?” My wife and I lost it (I barely kept control of the car). He had been listening to it for years, singing along, requesting it - and had now figured out the lyrics.

My wife was devastated about a year ago to learn that “Puff the Magic Dragon”, which she used to sing to our sons when they were babies, is allegedly about marijuana. I explained to her that in order for it to be a drug song, the lyrics have to metaphorically refer to drugs or paraphrenalia, and except for “paper” and “Puff”, there’s no metaphorical matchup between the song and the drug scene. Eventually she began to understand that there’s no real corelation, but it shook her up for a couple of days.

I can’t wait to tell her what “Rocky Mountain High” is all about.

While going to the store with their grandmother my youngest sons (4 and 5 at the time) decided to sing an AC/DC song they heard previously in my truck. The Song? Big Balls. My father found it extremely funny while my mom and wife were unamused for some reason.

Our friend’s 4-yr-old grandchild’s contribution to their campfire songfest was “Let the Bodies Hit the Floor”.

I was at a Peter, Paul and Mary concert many years ago in which they scoffed at this idea, and pointed out that you could just as easily say the national anthem is a drug song. “Jose, can you see…” (a lot of drugs come in from Latin American Countries) “…by the dawn’s early light…” (lighting up, see? at dawn?) and so forth.

Whaaaa? It’s about rugby!
Isn’t it?

We used to torment our children when they were little on long car drives and vacations, because Mommy wanted to listen to Classical, and Daddy wanted to listen to C & W. And since it’s always Driver’s Choice at our house, and Daddy was usually driving, we listened to a lot of C & W. In vain would they beg for “Top 40, Dad! Any kind of pop! Even Sixties Oldies!”

Nope.

With the result that I got in my daughter’s car once not too long ago, and the radio began blaring out 95 Country. She hastily popped in a Deathcab for Cutie CD, but…

Snopes on the Puff urban legend.

I lurve the fact that my 3yo likes “real” music. Every once in a blue moon, he’ll sing Old MacDonald or Twinkle Twinkle or Farmer in the Dell, but he’s far more likely to belt out something he’s heard in the car.

His current faves:
the Flaming Lips
Cake
Weezer
Draco and the Malfoys
Voltaire
Soundtrack to Rocky Horror

I grew up on hair bands. Def Leppard, Ratt, Poison, Whitesnake, White Lion, White Any Random Animal From the Woods. Never figured out what the lyrics were about until I left the single-digit ages behind me.

In third-grade music class, I got in serious trouble for refusing to sing “Mairzy Doats.” I thought (think) it was (is) a stupid song that insulted my intelligence. I lost patience with “kiddie” songs about the same time. They didn’t have enough electric guitar for me. :smiley:

My boys (6 & 8) have quite an eclectic play list. Currently, their faves are-
The Clash

Bob Marley & The Wailers

The Waterboys

The Pogues

Squeeze

U2

Israel Kamakawiwo’ole

Steel Pulse

:cool: They are too hip.
BUT, thanks to that damned Alvin & The Chipmunks movie, I heard the six year old the other night singing “Don’t you wish your girlfriend was HOT like me? Don’t you wish your girlfriend was a FREAK like me?”

:eek:

I was taught a couple of ‘in country’ songs at a very young and impressionable age by my dad and a couple of his army buddies … imagine the amazement when everybody else in kindergarden was singing “my bonnie” and I was singing “danang lullaby” [to put it in perspective, the refrain is “roll in, roll in, my god how the mortars roll in”] and the Spike Jones version of ‘Casey Jones’ [ not the conductor, the bombadier … a seriously non PC song if there ever was one!

A family friend has three sons, with about nine years between the eldest and the youngest. The youngest (“Sam”) understandably spent a lot of time trying to keep up with his older brothers.

Sam was invited to a classmate’s birthday party. The cute little first graders had cake and punch and then sat in a circle and sang “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.” Birthday Girl’s Mom noticed that Sam wasn’t singing.

“Why, Sam, don’t you like to sing?” she asked him.

“Oh yes,” Sam agreed enthusiastically.

“Would you like to sing a song for us?”

“Sure,” Sam replied, and launched into “Smokin’ in the Boys Room.”

… I can beat you all.

When I was knee high, my favorite song was “Why don’t we do it in the road.” I sang it for weeks. Everywhere! With my parents!

When my younger brother was at the age of singing the same song over and over, my parents took him on a military space available flight from the US to Australia with many stops and waits. The entire trip (and back) my brother sang the song: “Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees and the moon up above, and a thing called loooooove.” Sorry, I don’t remember the title of the song.
My father, a WWII Marine who fought the war through the Pacific was kind of proud of resisting euthanizing my little brother.

That’s “Birds and the Bees,” by Jewel Akens, which hit #3 on Billboard’s pop charts in early 1965. His only other charting song, “Georgie Porgie,” only made it to #68.
Took my quite a while to dredge this one up, because it’s basically a one-hit wonder from (gulp) 43 years ago.

While we’re at it, here’s the next verse: “Let me tell ya 'bout the stars in the sky/And a girl and a guy/And the way they could kiss/On a night like this”