Aldebaran has been banned

Aldebaran has been banned for trolling, posting information he knew or should have known was false, making veiled and not-so-veiled threats, and refusing to cooperate with the mods. He has received numerous warnings, most recently in this thread. Other warnings include:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=3600089#post3600089

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=3600110#post3600110

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=5620802#post5620802

We take this step with reluctance and after long debate. Aldebaran represents a viewpoint not often heard from on the SDMB. However, while users of this board are free to express their views forcefully, we expect them to do so in a civil manner. This Aldebaran has repeatedly failed to do. We take this opportunity to remind all users in these difficult times that hate speech, inflammatory remarks, threats, etc., will not be tolerated on this board. Users who cannot behave themselves will be banned.

Wow!

That is a total suprise.

Well, not really, just a suprise it took so long to finally pull the trigger.

Can we have a list of everyone who has been banned that is updated when someone is banned? Perhaps a thread only updateable by admins?

I doubt they would do this. A list of The Banned would also be considered as feeding the trolls.

A search in AMTB on “banned” in the title would do that just as easily and not feed egos.

No more than these threads.

Oh, well… some of us tried to see if we could get him to ratchet it down a bit, but it does take 2 to tango. Of course now he must feel totally convinced that we indeed had it in for him and for his ideas.

The difference between these threads and a master list of The Banned is that the most egregious trolls don’t get one dedicated to them. Their prirmary purpose is to answer the inevitable question of “Why was so & so banned?”

Adding a master list of The Banned would likely result in being invaded by people who want nothing more with us than getting their name added to such a list.

Good.

That’s a ridiculous argument. Likewise, why wouldn’t The Banned want their very own banned thread?

Perhaps but I’ll bet it’s not much different from the official line.

Stop.

Goddamnit.

My last post could be misconstrued. To clairfy:

He probably deserved it, but it didn’t have to go down that way if he had just held his tounge a bit at some key times. It’s very frustrating. Will we ever be able to talk to each other? In other words: goddamnit.

And by “we”, I don’t mean me and Aldeberran, but “we” in the sense of the human race.

I’ll shut up now.

Note that this announcement is made in the forum “About this message board” where we are civil and well-mannered to each other. No flaming, no piling up on Aldebaran who is not able to defend himself.

Perfect encapsulation. This is what I meant by “Stop.”

Good Heavens. Sorry, Dex.

I was under the impression that bans weren’t announced until recently. But that’s neither here nor there-- anyone that interested in bannings will go looking for profiles or old threads in which the bannee posted.

It is kind of a shame that Aldebaran is no more (I thought he was quite a nice guy when he wasn’t being a hysterical jerk), but he abused the leniency given to him. I only wish that he could have seen that and cooled his head before it came to this.

Unlike most of the Banned, I repected him, if I did not always agree with him. :frowning: