The Backyardigans

Having a three year-old daughter exposes me to a lot of entertainment that I would miss had we not had Sophia. Lately a new NickJr program, The Backyardigans, has come to the forefront of my daughters deep attention. This past week we were watching her dance around to one of her favorite episodes, and today, a rainy one, she asked

“Can we watch the Backyardigans? Pweee???”

So I grabbed the tape and we went into our room, where we sat and danced in bed while Daddy watched the episodes that Mommy has recorded. I was interested in the show because Sophie just adores it, and I’m interested in seeing what she’s interested in. And I’m glad I did, for I learned my daughter has good taste.

Ladies and gentlemen, this show is really special. Each episode is a musical about the adventures that these… kids… have in their backyards (hence the Backyardigans). Going down the Nile, playing Secret Agent, playing cowboys and bandits, each adventure is rendered in some very impressive CGI where the backyards are re-imagined to be a Pirate Ship or a western mesa.

It is obvious that whoever does the music and choreography knows their stuff: Composers Evan Lurie and Doug Weiselman, lyricist McPaul Smith and choreographer Beth Bogush. As I said, each episode is a mini-musical with original music, lyrics, and choreography for each episode - the only songs that gets repeated from episode to episode is the opening and closing numbers. In some ways, it is typical kids-fare stuff - lessons are learned about politeness, “please” and “thank you”, friendship, etc, but in other ways it is so far head-and-shoulders above anything in this genre that it deserves a hearty shout-out. Catch it if you can. I recommend seeing “Riding the Range” or “The Pirate Song” if you want to see the best episodes of this brand new (since October) series.

Another link, one that will describe what it’s about better than I can: http://www.tvtome.com/Backyardigans/

They sure didn’t do animation like this when I was a kid! (mid-70s)

I have a 4 1/2 year old who is pretty into The Backyardigans too. I think we’ve seen each episode at least four or five times.
My favorite thing about it (OK, aside from the singing and dancing :slight_smile: ) is that none of the characters are the same color. Heck, they’re not even the same species. My kid’s got an issue with skin color, so this is a very needed ‘good influence’ for him.

It’s a good show. I hope there will be some new episodes soon.

You know, I’d planned to start an MPSIMS The Backyardigans a few weeks ago. My four year old loves this show. I sat to watch it with him a few times while I was on vacation this past November. Oh my dear lord, I don’t know what deity I displeased to have to endure such torture. All the damn singing. So much singing. JChrist, the singing!

It’s a great show for kids, though. I’m glad he likes it.

Oh, after about the 79th time the theme song goes through your poor defenseless skull, you’ll grow to like it. :wink:

I won’t say my four year old loves it, but he generally enjoys it, and can remember the names of all the characters, which is more than I can do. Good show.

My 4 year old loves this show too. I think we’ve seen every episode at least twice already and his favorite is “Riding the Range” . He also loves LazyTown, which probably deserves its own thread also (Mom enjoys LazyTown too, but not for educational reasons . :wink: )