We need a pukey smiley

We really do.

Are the New Smiley Polls done?

No we don’t. We need less emoticons, not more.

We need fewer. To that end, because I like the idea of a pukey emoticon, I propose we eliminate the following: :wally ;j :rolleyes: :smiley: and add the “pukey”.

:wally 'll never go away. It’s somewhat of an homage to a very popular, deceased poster.

You could get rid of :stuck_out_tongue: and all would still be right with the world, tho. And it’s been said before, but :o could really use a re-design.

I’d prefer none at all and have people use plain text emoticons if they really needed to but since that is unlikely, I’d love to see the elimination of :rolleyes: :cool: :stuck_out_tongue: ;j :confused: :o :mad: and :wally, leaving us with :slight_smile: :dubious: :wink: :smiley: :eek: and :frowning:

Which, unfortunately, is about as probable.

Everybody’s picking on :stuck_out_tongue: and its my favorite.

I don’t think it would hurt to add a few more emoticons. I find them helpful in understanding the poster’s intentions.

I’ve probably been guilty of using all the smileys (except Wally) at one point or another, but I think we could probably make do with these: :slight_smile: :dubious: :cool: :eek: :frowning: :wink:

These can just be irritating or pointless or misleading: :o :rolleyes: :smiley: :smack: ;j :stuck_out_tongue: (why do we need three different “smile/happy” smileys?) (okay, and the “cool” smiley isn’t really necessary either, but I like the little guy)

The rest aren’t necessarily useless or annoying, but they can easily be replaced by text: :confused: :mad: :wally

I like emoticons. :slight_smile:

I would be sad if they went away. :frowning:

The thought that people want to get rid of them makes my blood boil. :mad:

Oops that might not have been cool in this forum :smack:

Oh, well. :stuck_out_tongue:
and :cool:

50% of all posts here depend on :rolleyes: .

I’d get rid of :o , cos it’s unclear what the hell it’s supposed to be saying.

;j doesn’t serve much of a purpose either.

I agree with those who stand against smiley proliferation. We should be able to get by with a small number of very specifically chosen icons, and no more.

But I also agree with those who advocate a Puking Smiley. Ladies and gentlemen, in the struggle for the hearts and minds (especially the minds) of international cyberwarriors, do we really want to risk suffering the ravages of a Smiley Gap? No, I say, and again, no.

The problem is, every time this comes up, the multifarious nominees for Pukey are invariably substandard. There seems to be a preference here (shared by me) for (1) smaller icons, which can be nested neatly into a paragraph without overly disrupting the flow of the text (the Putz is a notable exception to this), and (2) non-animated icons, which convey their meanings in a single elegant and motionless image. And thus far, I have not seen a submission for Pukey that meets both requirements.

I continue to hold out hope that the Savior Pukey remains to be discovered (or created), and that once presented we will immediately recognize its greatness and collectively embrace it as a new addition to our iconographic menagerie, but as yet this transcendent event has stubbornly refused to come about.

My final word is this: Despite the crying need for a Pukey, until we have the perfect Pukey, I say we do without a Pukey at all.

Boy am I bored tonight

(I don’t care what people think, I was just really, really bored and decided this would be a nice mini-project for me. Amazing the inspiration one can get from too many hours of Rolelrcoaster Tycoon 2)

I always understood it to mean “I am a plastic sex doll.” Which can really add something to a post, let me tell you.

Jayn, I like your pukey smiley.

If I ran things, we’d eliminate :wally and ;j and redesign the :stuck_out_tongue: to make the tongue more obvious. Oh, and ad the pukey smiley.

I think a pukey smiley would need to be animated (hey! quit throwing stuff at me!) in order to really provide the target deliverables.

My first pukey post would be, of course, deriding my employers use of terms like ‘deliverables’. :smiley:

No! Nay, nay and thrice nay! Sure, you start with just an animated pukey smiley (let’s call him Ralph). Next thing you know, the boards are a sea of animated rolling eyes, smileys bashing each other with big mallets or shooting each other. Don’t do it. Leave Ralph static!

I’d like to suggest using this smiley.

Okay, not really. This is the puke smikey I use on my board. Unlike most other boards, I don’t have hundreds of smiley images to choose from; just about 20 non-animated MSN-style smileys. Pukey isn’t used that often.

(Links are SFW.)

I like it! It’s got my vote.

I like Jayn Newell’s too.

Jayn – my first thought was “Ninja Turtle smiley? WTF!”

:wink:

I think we need an eye-batting smiley. That’s one of my most-used on IM.