Dan Brown - Crap

My mother in law just bought me “Angels and Demons” by Dan Brown for my birthday. I got three chapters in by blind perseverance and had to put it down and get out a Ian M. Banks book.

The writing is attrocious, the dialogue is about as corny as it can get - quote “our roots infiltrate everything you can see … even the sacred fortress of our most sworn enemy”.

Get real, I read comics and the dialogue is more authentic than this crap. Don’t even get me started on his allegedly accurate scintific facts.

Has anyone else read any of his books, what do you think? How did he become so popular?

Because his roots infiltrate everything you can see.

So, all your base are belong to Dan Brown?

I waded through Da Vinci Code on holiday - crap.
‘Alseep, she is awoken by the shrill of the phone’

Sheesh.

:rolleyes:

MiM

I call it meconia- baby poop. :rolleyes:

That is, too poorly developed to qualify as shit.

Fantastic analogy and much better written than Mr Bown could have done.

I managed fifty pages of the Da Vinci Code, before giving up on his painfully-lumpen writing.

Message to Brown: Umberto Eco sounds erudite because he is. You’re not. You don’t have his imagination or even vocabulary. Give up. Please.

Someone at the office picked up all three of his books at Costco, and we took turns passing them around. We all liked Angels and Demons, although there were a few :rolleyes: moments. The Davinci Code was ok, but we were already joking about how it was the same story, only with easier clues.

By Digital Fortress (the whole process took place over about a month), we gave up on him and were only reading for the sake of mockery (and man, there were some howlers). The man has only one story in him (the books all have the same first chapter, for Og’s sake), and it gets less interesting with each telling. Before I even started reading the third one, I was asking my co-workers, “so the trusted friend turns out to be on the other side at the 3/4 mark?” “Yep.” “The object everyone’s chasing turns out not to be what they thought it was?” “Yep.” “There’s an assassin with some trait that sets him apart from society?” “Yep.”

Preach it, brother.

Dan Brown - and his legions of supporters – love to play “move the goalposts” in any debate regarding the fiction / non-fiction nature of his books:

I don’t consider it good writing, but I don’t hate it as much as others on the board do. If I have nothing else to read, I’ll read one of his books, but I usually skim a lot of the pages.

I thought Da Vinca was OK, and Angels and Demons was OK+. Good “blow through it in 2 days” reading when there’s nothing on TV.

Both did sound like a terrible movie though, and I’m assuming the actual movie version of Da Vinci will be a long 2 hours.

Yes, Yes, you are preaching to the choir!

I started a thread similar to this one not so long ago…

If you read more than one of his books you’ll find that they’re all the same. Very boring read.

Same issues, better writting. Holy blood, holy grail

I read Digital Fortress while on vacation because I had already finished the two books I brought to read. After the very first reference to the bad guy’s partner, I turned to my husband (who had already read the book) and said

Do these “brilliant minds” ever figure out that the “partner’s” e-mail is an anagram of his own name? I mean, that’s gotta be a clue or something. I’m not brilliant, but I saw it right away.

I read Digital Fortress for the entertainment value as well, and so I can joke with my NSA-employee friends about their work. They take the same view as Antonius’s friends; that Brown should either claim his books are complete fiction or actually get his facts right. But I guess he’s not one to let those pesky “facts” get in the way of (he thinks) a good story. :rolleyes:

I saw the “illustrated version” of the Da Vinci Code. I’m thinking that all it is is one photo of a steaming pile.

Robin

I tried to read The DaVinci Code twice. Both times, I tossed it aside before I finished the first chapter. It’s just too painful.

Stryfe, I too was awarded with Angels and Demons as a “present” by an enthusiastic Deebie. Literally could not get past page one. This was bad prose that screamed to be put out of its misery. And I *wanted * to like Dan Brown- secret societies and age-old conspiracies are the shiznit to me, but . . . I dunno, I would never look down my nose at anyone who genuinely loves Dan Brown, because I’ve been there. It’s not hard to endure a kinda bad writer like, say, Robert Ludlum, because his plots are so fantastic. People just have different thresholds.

It’s obvious that Brown’s storytelling powers are prodigious. Which is why I’ll be more than willing to see the movie in the hands of such a capable director as Ron Howard.

Oh goodness. I’m sure the book is awful, but this degree of awfulness is making me curious. (The last thing I finished was Atlanta Nights, so perhaps there’s a theme here.) Maybe I’ll pick this up from a library sometime. No way am I paying for it.