Once and for all:

(Note: This is not directed towards anyone on this board. Just…the world.)

—Those were not aliens at the end of A.I.. They were super-advanced robots.

—The line is “Put. The bunny. Back. In. The box.”

—Lupe Velez did not die with her head in a toilet.

—Helga was not Andrew Wyeth’s maid. She was a nurse who looked after one of his friends. As for whether or not they had an affair, neither of them is talking, so you shouldn’t either.

Anyone else have arts/entertainment myths they want to dispel?

Oh, and while this is not exactly a myth:

—Stop blaming Roger Ebert for Beyond the Valley of the Dolls! All he did was write the first draft of the script. He’s not to be held responsible for the direction, the acting, the soundtrack, the costumes, the lighting, the editing, and maybe not even the dialogue; who knows how many rewrites there were.

Who’s blaming him? It’s the only worthwhile thing he’s ever done.

“I don’t think we’re in Kansas any more” is WRONG.

The line is: “I have a feeling we’re not in Kansas any more.”

I read that later, but I still don’t understand how the fuck we were supposed to know. Score another one for Spielberg.

This is one of those moments where I’m happy I know the phrase “Taste the black sperm of my vengeance!!”

What?

And the one that I was the only person in the theater to understand–the important part of the ending of The Blair Witch Project is the guy standing in the corner.

Hannibal Lector never said “Hello, Clarice.”

Oh, and Frankenstein is the man, not the monster.

The line isn’t “You’re going out a youngster, but you’re coming back a star!” It’s “You’re going out a youngster, but you’ve got to come back a star!” It’s not an acknowledgment of Ruby Keeler’s talent – it’s telling her that everyone is depending on her.

Bogart never said “Play it again, Sam.”

Cary Grant never said “Judy, Judy, Judy” in any movie. However, in Only Angels Have Wings, his ex-girlfriend was named “Judy,” and he said her name more than once. He also may have said it in a TV appearance with Judy Garland.

Mama Cass Elliot died of a heart attack, not of choking on a ham sandwich.

But in the “strange, but (apparently) true” department, she was hit in the head by a chunk of lead pipe when the group was loafing in St. Thomas, VI (before they were famous); she claimed that thereafter she could hit the high notes she couldn’t hit before.

Unless, of course, this has been debunked in some fashion.

The title of the original Star Wars movie was Star Wars. Not Episode IV, not *A New * Hope. Just Star Wars.

The title of the original Indiana Jones movie was Raiders of the Lost Ark. Not Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

And, because someone has to mention it sooner or later and we might as well get it over with: Greedo didn’t shoot first.

And as long as you mentioned that, I would like to add that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is a prequel to Raiders, not a sequel.

Jimmy Hendrix did not want to “Kiss this guy”

I’m not familiar with these references. Anyone care to explain?

Thanks, I was going to ask the same thing… I feel better now.

Wait…really? I hate Temple of Doom so much, I guess I never paid attention. Is there anything obvious that would make that apparent that I might remember?

You mean there was an END to A.I.???

Well, color me amazed. :smiley:

The date given at the beginning of Raiders is 1936, while the caption at the start of Temple of Doom reads “Shanghai, 1935.”

I missed the bunny reference myself, but Lupe Velez, aka The Mexican Spitfire, was a star of the 40s. She killed herself with an overdose of Secanol, but He Who Shall Not Be Named Lest The Wrath of Eve Be Invoked, in his book Hollywood Babylon, popularized the falsehood that she awoke from her pill-induced stupor because of a heavy Mexican dinner she’d eaten prior to taking the pills, staggered to the bathroom to vomit and drowned in the toilet. Didn’t happen, although it did give birth to the funny Simpsons line “and that’s the hardware store where Lupe Velez bought the toilet she drowned in.”