The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Savannah Savannah is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Aspirin and menstruation.

Does taking aspirin for cramps and other discomfort during menstruation 'thin' the menstrual flow as it supposedly does other blood?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 05-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 18,789
In my experience, yes - no more and no less.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Vlad/Igor Vlad/Igor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Aspirin and other "blood thinners" is a mianomer that bugs me no end. They do not make the blood any "thinner", whatevert that means. What they do is to interfere with the clotting process, resulting in longer bleeding times from cuts. I would imagine that there might be some effect on menstrual flow, but it would be so small as to be unnoticable.

Vlad/Igor
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2005, 07:33 PM
capybara capybara is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Citizen of the World
Posts: 4,946
Oh, my no, it is NOT so small as to be unnoticable. Believe you me. We're talking "abbatoir on the lunch grounds." This effect was one of the greatest epiphanies of my late teenage years.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 18,789
Menstrual blood tends to clot more slowly than blood from a cut anyway - asprin definitely has an effect, although that will vary somewhat from woman to woman. It's noticable. Trust me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2005, 10:17 PM
ZipperJJ ZipperJJ is online now
And Finn The Human
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 18,916
Most of the things i've read on the subject of pain meds for cramps (repuitable sources like Cosmo, iVillage and WebMD ) suggest an anti-inflammatory like iburpofen (Advil...motrin...) and not asprin or tylenol. The pain is in the inflamation. nip it!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Vlad/Igor Vlad/Igor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Ok, mea culpa. Being a guy, I have no first-hand experience with this, so I yield to those who know better than I/ I'll put this away in my "fun facts."

Vlad/Igor
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Biggirl Biggirl is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 15,387
As a person who suffers from both heart and menstrual problems (one causing the other, I believe) I was told to quite emphatically to NOT take asprin while I had my period by my doctor.

So, another vote for Yeup, it does "thin" your blood.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Excalibre Excalibre is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl
As a person who suffers from both heart and menstrual problems (one causing the other, I believe) I was told to quite emphatically to NOT take asprin while I had my period by my doctor.

So, another vote for Yeup, it does "thin" your blood.
:: furrows his brows in confusion ::

I'm no expert on girly-parts, but isn't menstrual fluid not actually blood but uterine lining? I didn't think clotting was necessary, because it's just the lining of the uterus (albeit blood-rich.) If you take a blood-thinner, does the uterine wall keep bleeding after the endometrium (or whatever it is) falls off?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Biggirl Biggirl is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 15,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibre
:: furrows his brows in confusion ::

I'm no expert on girly-parts, but isn't menstrual fluid not actually blood but uterine lining? I didn't think clotting was necessary, because it's just the lining of the uterus (albeit blood-rich.) If you take a blood-thinner, does the uterine wall keep bleeding after the endometrium (or whatever it is) falls off?
Do you really wanna hear about my bleeding problems? Because I will tell you if you really, really wanna know.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 18,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
Most of the things i've read on the subject of pain meds for cramps (repuitable sources like Cosmo, iVillage and WebMD ) suggest an anti-inflammatory like iburpofen (Advil...motrin...) and not asprin or tylenol. The pain is in the inflamation. nip it!
No, hon - a lot of the pain is in muscle cramps, hence the term "menstrual cramps". Anything ranging from a mild ache to a knock-you-over charliehorse spasm.

Inflammation is also a factor, yes, but they really are CRAMPS. Uterine wall muscle contracting and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibre
:: furrows his brows in confusion ::

I'm no expert on girly-parts, but isn't menstrual fluid not actually blood but uterine lining? I didn't think clotting was necessary, because it's just the lining of the uterus (albeit blood-rich.) If you take a blood-thinner, does the uterine wall keep bleeding after the endometrium (or whatever it is) falls off?
>sigh<

It's BOTH. It's uterine lining AND blood, some of which actually can clot into nasty lumps, along with a fair bit of vaginal mucus.

The uterine lining grows into this spongey stuff due to a rich network of small blood vessels. At a certain point, these pinch off, starving the squishy uterine tissue and killing it. Then they re-open and break off, the resulting blood helping the tissue to slough off and leave the vicinity. It's not usually gushers and geysers, but the uterus really does bleed until the little blood vessels seal off and the cycle starts over.

So, blood thinners or not, the uterus does bleed after the endometrium (you had that correct) falls away. Likewise, the uterus bleeds for some time after childbirth, after the placenta peels away and is expelled. It is rare, but menstrual bleeding can become life-threatening if the volume lost is excessive or the blood refuses to clot at all.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Mr2001 Mr2001 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
Most of the things i've read on the subject of pain meds for cramps (repuitable sources like Cosmo, iVillage and WebMD ) suggest an anti-inflammatory like iburpofen (Advil...motrin...) and not asprin or tylenol. The pain is in the inflamation. nip it!
I've heard that ibuprofen and acetaminophen don't really act as anti-inflammatories unless they're used regularly for a long time. That is, taking a couple Advil now and then will only kill the pain, it won't reduce inflammation.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-24-2005, 08:47 AM
whiterabbit whiterabbit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
However it works, ibuprofen is the only thing that's ever done a thing for my cramps.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 AM
lee lee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibre
:: furrows his brows in confusion ::

I'm no expert on girly-parts, but isn't menstrual fluid not actually blood but uterine lining? I didn't think clotting was necessary, because it's just the lining of the uterus (albeit blood-rich.) If you take a blood-thinner, does the uterine wall keep bleeding after the endometrium (or whatever it is) falls off?
It is most emphatically not just lining with a little bit of blood, but rather mostly blood with a little bit of lining. I routinely pass clots the size of hen's eggs multiple times during my period, sometimes more then once the same day. I am pretty sure the inside of my uterus is not big enough to have that much lining. It makes more sense that the bleeding just doen't stop quickly. They are also nearly identical to clots I have had from bloody noses.

This is how I heard it described: The lining needs to be shed, so hormones cause it to be jettisoned from the uterus, which causes bleeding. This is not like when you grow more skin, but more like when a blister forms and there is a raw area underneath. The uterus bleeds to wash away the lining and other cruft drug in by visitors. The uterus may cramp which helps it to expel the blood and lining. Having clots may be related to cramping, but the relationship is not well understood. It may be that clots building up trigger hormones to be released that cause cramping, or that the hormones that encourage cramping also encourage clotting. The same hormones that cause cramping cause the nearby intestines to cramp/speed up too causing the lovely runny stools so common during menstruation.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-24-2005, 12:37 PM
serious lark serious lark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Pretty much all the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) except acetaminophen (Tylenol) will interfere with clotting mechanisms and hence increase the amount of menstrual bleeding. It may be a small change or a big one, but most women do notice an increase. This is annoying, because most women also find that NSAIDs other than Tylenol do a far better job at controlling the discomfort associated with menstrual cramps (due to the majority of NSAIDs decreasing prostaglandin production, which typically peak at the time of menstruation and are thought to increase the uterine muscle contractions (cramping) that causes menses to be uncomfortable).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 AM
foreverkramm foreverkramm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I'm giving Asprin a try

Plagued with ovarian cysts that are causing a hormone imbalance.
So I am having to take progesterone type pill 28 days a month to
better control my hormones and ensure that I bleed when I am supposed to.
It's supposed to lighten my flow but it's not doing the trick, but I feel liek I have to give it a fair shake before going back to the doctor.
At any rate I have always taken naproxen and or Motrin to control the pain because tylenol might as well have been a smarty candy.
So now along with all this mess, my periods are completely wacky very very heavy and when I went to the doctor this last month I had such large clots that I had labor pains while these clots which were larger than a tennis ball worked their way out.
Not having experienced that before, I freaked out and rushed to the emergency room where they put me on some hard pain killers through and IV and decided I was ok to go home 4 hours later since my iron levels are good and take vicodin and naproxen when needed for pain. I don't really feel good about going to work on all that pain killers though.. I am just thinking that the pain for me is associated with the sheer volume of these clots and have decided to take it upon myself to take Asprin this go around and see if it keeps these clots from forming at all and makes a difference.
Am I a nut or does this sound like common sense? It feels like common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-05-2010, 03:42 AM
lee lee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
It seems like a reasonable approach, I personally would be worried about bleeding too much, and want to consult my doctor first.

During the first few days of my period, the bleeding can be worrisome but the clots are seldom larger than my hand when they spread out in the bottom of the bowl, and seem relatively soft. It may be that you are clotting harder and faster than I do and I can imagine where that would be painful. A few months ago I did feel labor like cramps, but that is very unusual for me and did not last for more than a few hours.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-05-2010, 05:27 AM
aruvqan aruvqan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 15,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverkramm View Post
Plagued with ovarian cysts that are causing a hormone imbalance.
So I am having to take progesterone type pill 28 days a month to
better control my hormones and ensure that I bleed when I am supposed to.
It's supposed to lighten my flow but it's not doing the trick, but I feel liek I have to give it a fair shake before going back to the doctor.
At any rate I have always taken naproxen and or Motrin to control the pain because tylenol might as well have been a smarty candy.
So now along with all this mess, my periods are completely wacky very very heavy and when I went to the doctor this last month I had such large clots that I had labor pains while these clots which were larger than a tennis ball worked their way out.
Not having experienced that before, I freaked out and rushed to the emergency room where they put me on some hard pain killers through and IV and decided I was ok to go home 4 hours later since my iron levels are good and take vicodin and naproxen when needed for pain. I don't really feel good about going to work on all that pain killers though.. I am just thinking that the pain for me is associated with the sheer volume of these clots and have decided to take it upon myself to take Asprin this go around and see if it keeps these clots from forming at all and makes a difference.
Am I a nut or does this sound like common sense? It feels like common sense.
in a word, NORETHINDRONE

Stop bleeding out totally. There is no reason to torment yourself monthly, just turn it off until you decide you want to reproduce [or go through menopause]. Best choice my OB and I made was to just say screw trying to give me dainty little bleeds every 28 days and just say hell no to having a period at all.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
foreverkramm foreverkramm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
follow up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
in a word, NORETHINDRONE

Stop bleeding out totally. There is no reason to torment yourself monthly, just turn it off until you decide you want to reproduce [or go through menopause]. Best choice my OB and I made was to just say screw trying to give me dainty little bleeds every 28 days and just say hell no to having a period at all.

That is so funny Aruvqan because my Doc put me on Nor... and It has stopped the bleeding all together. I take it between the 1st and 25th. I am supposed to bleed when I go off the medicine for those 5 days or so/ I had a follow up with Radiology and my cyst is gone but it was noticed I have a uterine polyp and they said that can cause irregular bleedign too. I was also told that the original tech who saw me that Saturday I went before was a temp, so the process they did was all together different, didn't do the full blatter empty blatter this time.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM
aruvqan aruvqan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 15,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverkramm View Post
That is so funny Aruvqan because my Doc put me on Nor... and It has stopped the bleeding all together. I take it between the 1st and 25th. I am supposed to bleed when I go off the medicine for those 5 days or so/ I had a follow up with Radiology and my cyst is gone but it was noticed I have a uterine polyp and they said that can cause irregular bleedign too. I was also told that the original tech who saw me that Saturday I went before was a temp, so the process they did was all together different, didn't do the full blatter empty blatter this time.
Don't see why he feels you need to bleed, it has been adequately documented that we do not need to bleed every month.

Glad your cyst is gone, and you may need to get the polyp checked out sometime soon.

I swear, I wish I had gotten the hysterectomy decades ago ... not dealing with mood swings, hormone swings and bleeding or taking meds to supress all that crap is amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 AM
ecco477 ecco477 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
...and other cruft drug in by visitors...
I just had to repeat that phrase... L M F A O!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K. Here's the real answer and what any other doctor will tell you. It all depends on the woman.

Some women clot more....this may be due to fibroids, I'd get that checked though. Clots that large are usually seen right after childbirth, but disappear after a couple months. This again could be totally normal for women in YOUR family. Always check your family history.

I had numerous "female" problems. I was adopted and didn't have a clue. When I met my "bio" family, I found out they were all native, got diabetes by the age of 60, and many of the women had uterin and ovarian cancers. Mind you, there were three FACTORIES DUMPING TOXIC WASTE INTO THEIR DRINKING WATER! Many tribal members have numerous health issues, cancer being one of them.

So please check your family history, that should give you a barometer as to where you should set your bar for symptoms, medications, and treatments.

As far as any pain meds.....they all can effect blood flow, otherwise they wouldn't work. So you have to decide whether the pain is bad enough to warrant meds. For example aspirin may make cramps worse because they can, in a sense, thin blood, causing more blood to flow, and send more throbbing to the effected area making the cramps worse. It truly is up to the female suffering, a doctor can't tell you what works best for you. Thoroughly research your family tree. You might be amazed at what you'll find.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Lynn Bodoni Lynn Bodoni is offline
Creature of the Night
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 20,803
Quote:
I swear, I wish I had gotten the hysterectomy decades ago ... not dealing with mood swings, hormone swings and bleeding or taking meds to supress all that crap is amazing.
I've felt much, much better after I had my uterus and ovaries removed. There have been some negative side effects, but overall, the positives outweigh the negatives.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 22,317
Zombie cramps and prostaglandin inhibition. Ew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecco477 View Post
I As far as any pain meds.....they all can effect blood flow, otherwise they wouldn't work. So you have to decide whether the pain is bad enough to warrant meds. For example aspirin may make cramps worse because they can, in a sense, thin blood, causing more blood to flow, and send more throbbing to the effected area making the cramps worse.
And pain medications do not thin blood.

Nor is there good evidence that increasing bleeding times via platelet inhibition (which is how aspirin works) would increase pain or throbbing.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 01-05-2011 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 AM
purplehorseshoe purplehorseshoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 7,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Zombie cramps and prostaglandin inhibition. Ew. ...
I was unaware that it was even possible to gross you out, QtheM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 22,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
I was unaware that it was even possible to gross you out, QtheM.
You ever see prostaglandins up close?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Turek Turek is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Inara's shuttle
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
You ever see prostaglandins up close?
I've never even see the word up close!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
I dont even know what the word means!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM
purple haze purple haze is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm 43 and have always been very regular and no surprises. I've noticed that some months hurt a lot during the past few years, but the flow is OK. Well, until yesterday. I was at work and just having my regular monthly when I felt a flow like never before. Went to the ladies room and HOLY CRAP WTH - it was everywhere. I went to the hospital and they gave me an ultrasound and a CAT scan to rule out the major stuff. I was home last night by 11:00 and took some time off today. The pain isn't too bad but the flow is very heavy still and I'm shaky and exhausted.

How long does this usually last? I have a doctor appt. Monday but it just started up really heavy again 1/2 hour ago and this is just so upsetting. Thanks for any anecdotes or advice. Oh, and I have had and will have medical treatment, this is just new to me and I'm not having a good time here.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 PM
kushiel kushiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple haze View Post
I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm 43 and have always been very regular and no surprises. I've noticed that some months hurt a lot during the past few years, but the flow is OK. Well, until yesterday. I was at work and just having my regular monthly when I felt a flow like never before. Went to the ladies room and HOLY CRAP WTH - it was everywhere. I went to the hospital and they gave me an ultrasound and a CAT scan to rule out the major stuff. I was home last night by 11:00 and took some time off today. The pain isn't too bad but the flow is very heavy still and I'm shaky and exhausted.

How long does this usually last? I have a doctor appt. Monday but it just started up really heavy again 1/2 hour ago and this is just so upsetting. Thanks for any anecdotes or advice. Oh, and I have had and will have medical treatment, this is just new to me and I'm not having a good time here.
When I first started on BC for my periods, the type of pill the doctor gave me (triphasic, so each week was a different amount of hormones) totally fucked me up. I mean, blood was *everywhere* when I had my first period after starting it. I was given some sort of pill (can't remember the name) that is for hemophiliacs.

I tried a monophasic pill next and hit the jackpot.

As for the pain med discussion, I actually live for ibuprofen. I read in one of those women's magazines that it's a blood clotter, so my flow was lessened. Yes, there were more clots, but clots are a lot easier to deal with than pure liquid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
in a word, NORETHINDRONE

Stop bleeding out totally. There is no reason to torment yourself monthly, just turn it off until you decide you want to reproduce [or go through menopause]. Best choice my OB and I made was to just say screw trying to give me dainty little bleeds every 28 days and just say hell no to having a period at all.
I just skip my placebo week and about twice a year I get breakthrough bleeding which I interpret as my body wanting to shed my lining or something, so I indulge it. I have other medical issues that would prevent me from having a kid, so I'm not particularly worried about childbearing effects.

Last edited by kushiel; 01-28-2011 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.