The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-07-2000, 09:53 PM

I'm looking for a way to end the life of a leprechaun. I'd like an answer with roots in folklore, but highly controversial theories, things you saw in movies, WAGs, or any dreams you had once after eating bad rigatoni will also be accepted, if it just explains how to kill one of the damn things.

Thank you.

--John
Old 08-07-2000, 09:58 PM

Why?
What did they ever do to you?
Old 08-07-2000, 10:23 PM

Try using iron--"Cold Iron" is an effective weapon against faerie folk, wee folk, or whatever you choose to call them.
Old 08-07-2000, 10:31 PM

Steal his Lucky Charms.
Old 08-07-2000, 10:34 PM

Napalm. Works on almost everything.
Old 08-07-2000, 11:09 PM

I can't imagine why you'd want to kill one of the little buggers - I thought they were classified as "catch and release" years ago. If they're considered an endangered species, you could end up in big trouble - or pay a big fine, at least. However, that won't stop me from tossing out a few ideas:

Guess his name.
Out-dance him.
Find a talking fish who will grant you 3 wishes and use one to snuff the leprechaun.
Drop a house on him.
Quit believing in him.
Old 08-07-2000, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Dont you have to take away his gold coin and render him powerless or something?? What did they do in the movie?
Old 08-07-2000, 11:24 PM

Cold iron is your best bet. Carry a staff of ash shod with iron and wear a garland of rowan berries. The ash and berries will help protect you from his magick--the little gold-rats pack quite a punch. Carry fresh St. John's Wart to poultice any injuries he may deal you--it's a specific against wounds caused by the Folk. Four-leaf clovers mashed into a paste with holy water and applied to the eyelids is said to prevent their illusions from deceiving you.

Make sure you're after a real leprechaun; if you tackle a cluricaune by mistake, you'd better have an eye that sees no evil, the grip of a lobsterman, and the luck of the Devil himself to deal with the drunken bastard. And cold iron to administer the finishing blow.
Old 08-07-2000, 11:28 PM

Don't let him get close enough to steal your gold, or he'll teleport away. Try shooting him with an arrow, or zapping a wand at him.

Don't eat him, or you'll get teleportitis.
Old 08-07-2000, 11:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

...Something tells me that Yue Han went back to the field this morning, and every sapling had a ribbon tied around it.
Old 08-07-2000, 11:57 PM

It's worse than that, Ike.

Soon, I'll return to the Academy, and I'll have access to a zip drive, and I'll be able to upload my new webpage. It will explain

Until then, it's a long story to explain why the pointy-eared freaks are on my bad side. Just trust me. Thanks to all so far, especially Balance.

Even the old version of my webpage is enough to explain why this quote:

Quote:
the grip of a lobsterman
made me very happy:

http://john_altum.tripod.com/lobsters.html

(The new version of that page features N'Sync as Lobstermen... man, I wish I had a zip drive)

Thanks for the help, and keep it coming. I'll win this one yet!

--John
Old 08-08-2000, 12:02 AM

Quote:
What did they do in the movie?
That would mean that someone here would have to admit to having seen it. Or the sequels.
Old 08-08-2000, 12:43 AM

I'll agree with those who've said cold iron as most myth's say the fairie had no like for it, though it must be pointed out that some beliefs held that They could withstand most iron but that it caused them great discomfort.

These legends held that only Silver could truly banish the Faerie from this world as Silver was the metal of the moon.

And yes before anyone posts I'm aware of the popular association of werewolves and silver, but my readings lead me to believe this superstition well and truly predated the werewolf theory.

I'll see if I can find a reference.
Old 08-08-2000, 01:05 AM

John, your steps for world domination on your lobstermen page remind me of the underpants gnomes.

1. Steal underpants.
3. Make lots of money.
Old 08-08-2000, 01:05 AM

IIRC, some legends say that the Folk revered silver because it was moon-metal, and they worshipped (more or less) a moon goddess. I don't think silver would give them much trouble. The belief in the power of cold iron, OTOH, still lingers in such notions as the lucky horshoe over the door; I think that its original purpose was to prevent malicious fairies from entering the house (the irony makes me laugh every time I see a Lucky Charms ad). Also, there's no indication that most of the Folk can't be killed with any judicious application of positive entropy. A good clubbing with a stout stick would probably do most of 'em in--though I'd never dare try it on a Fir Darrig, and I'd want heavy armor (as in TANKS, not plate) before I tackled a Redcap.

Further notes on the cluricaune:
The cluricaune can be distinguished from the leprechaun by an aroma of alcohol. If you catch him, he'll grant the standard 3 wishes. You will be tempted, so think about this: Do you really want to risk getting 3 wishes from a pissed-off, drunken fairie?
Old 08-08-2000, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

May I point out that silver is only particularly harmful to evil supernatural creatures-- Against a creature that's merely mischevious, it probably wouldn't do much except possibly help protect against their magic. Just remember, too... If you try something and it doesn't work, it'll just piss him or them off, and let me tell you, the one thing worse than a leprechaun is a pissed off leprechaun.
Old 08-08-2000, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by douglips
Don't let him get close enough to steal your gold, or he'll teleport away. Try shooting him with an arrow, or zapping a wand at him.

Don't eat him, or you'll get teleportitis.
I'm glad someone else was addicted to this damned game, too.

I'd like to add that if you meet a leprechaun in a shop and have no other way to escape after stealing the shop's contents, then killing a leprechaun and eating him may be EXACTLY what you want to do.

To any at all whom I have offended or alienated, I apologize. I desire the enmity of no one.
Old 08-08-2000, 02:45 AM

Well, this is just what I've heard about the movie (Leprechaun), but in the first one I believe a four-leaf clover was the way they finally defeated the leprechaun. One guy wrapped it around a piece of gum and shot it in his mouth, and I do believe he exploded. In 2 and 3 I seem to remember them either tricking the Leprechaun or using silver, or just blowing him up. I mean, that's what I've heard, from a friend. I don't know about Leprechaun 4: In Da Hood with Ice Tea (I swear, I saw it for sale). That's even worse than Leprechaun 3: In Space.
Old 08-08-2000, 03:19 AM

Although not supported by folklore, I'm pretty sure that tossing the little bastard into molten lava would do the trick. I've always thought that this would work for vampires and werewolves as well, but have not had the opportunity to test this theory.
Old 08-08-2000, 05:07 AM
BANNED

Calling on St Patrick can drive the little buggers away. A good exorcism would be deadly. Most of those types cannot stand to hear the name of Christ, but it just drives them away, doesn't kill them. But, why would you WANT to kill one?
Old 08-08-2000, 08:31 AM

Well, I'm with Daniel--why do you WANT to kill one?

I haven't seen any of the movies, but in the Irish fairy tale literature, leprechauns are generally rather shy and spend most of their time trying to get away from YOU. All you have to do to get rid of one is to take your eyes off him for a moment, and poof! he's outta there.

But of course, it would be silly to expect Hollywood not to tinker with something as simple as this by not adding exploding bubble gum and flying body parts.

(I haven't seen any of them because I feel sorry that that's the only work that Warwick Davis can find. I suppose I ought to support him with my entertainment dollars, but apparently he doesn't need me to keep the wolf from his door, so...)
Old 08-08-2000, 11:10 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally posted by Lance Turbo
Although not supported by folklore, I'm pretty sure that tossing the little bastard into molten lava would do the trick. I've always thought that this would work for vampires and werewolves as well, but have not had the opportunity to test this theory.
Most vampires burn quite well (not speaking from personal experience, honest, erm...) & since silver is an element mined from the earth, it is possible that there might be some molten silver in the lava, so it might get the werewolf too! But if there isn't, expect a very hot, very angry (they can get worse?!) werewolf when he/she/it climbs out to come after you & experiment on the best way to kill a human!
Old 08-08-2000, 11:22 AM

Why do I want to kill the leprechauns?

Because I managed to piss them off and they're trying to kill me.

On a more general level, I'm just interested in knowing how to kill things that are more powerful than me.

(OK, seriously? I have a webpage I'm working on about my imaginary evil empire. On my list of enemies I have the leprechauns. So for an update I'm hoping to have found a way to kill them. Sadly, as an evil emperor, calling on God is probably not going to work for me. As I said, I'll be putting the webpage on the internet as soon as I can get to a zip drive, at which point this'll make more sense.)

--John
Old 08-08-2000, 11:39 AM

Strap his short ass to a chair Clockwork Orange style and make his little irish butt watch all those wretched leprechaun movies, sequels and all. If the little green bugger doesn't implode or commit mini-suicide just accept the fact that they're indestructible and try to get him off your enemy list.
Old 08-08-2000, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quickly, before the little buggers steal your gold and disappear. And don't touch the dead cockatrice without gloves.
Old 08-08-2000, 01:34 PM

Amazing how many Nethack addicts are showing up on this thread, isn't it? If we're going to go with the NH approach, just throw arrows at it until it dies. Yes, I said "throw". Monks don't use bows.

Next, turn yourself into a xorn, eat one of your rings of teleport control, then eat the dead leprechaun. It'll help when you're fleeing for your life from his buddies.
Old 08-08-2000, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

For leprechauns, I like beating them at their own game. Put all your gold in a sack. Wield it. Beat the hell out of them.

You begin bashing the leprechaun with the sack! --More--
The leprechaun is stunned! --More--
The leprechaun realizes you can have too much of a good thing.

OK, so it doesn't really say that. But it should.

If only you could use two sacks in two-weapon mode, now, that would be something.
Old 08-08-2000, 05:33 PM

Leper-cons usually die of their sores anyway, and you can take comfort in knowing they'll go to hell for their sins.
Old 08-08-2000, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How can I kill a leprechaun?
Sure & Begorra, th' last tyme we had an infestation of the little buggers, we called the Orkin Man.
Old 08-08-2000, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Leper-con? That's one I sure won't be attending ...