Why would Russian need a word for "the seller of dead cats"?

Why would Russian need a word for “the seller of dead cats”?
(Background, Toronto Star article October 1/05:

Been tingoed lately?
New book celebrates words and phrases from around the world that have no English equivalent
Ours is a rich and inventive language, but you can’t help feeling maybe we’re missing out

LYNDA HURST

The philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein may have said it best: “The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.”

Rich and ever-mutating the English language may be, but often it lacks the mot juste. And oh, the frustration, when you can’t put a name to objects or experiences because the word for them simply doesn’t exist.

Granted, somebody a while back finally tracked down the word for that space between your nose and upper lip — the philtrum — but English, for all its Latin, Anglo-Saxon, Norman and Germanic roots, is missing out on a multitude of others.

You know when you laugh so hard one side of your abdomen hurts? Of course you do. But what’s the word for it? No?

The Japanese neatly call it katahara itai.

Or what about the guilt-ridden husband who buys a present for his wife? Sort of like a kiss-and-make-up gift, but not really because there wasn’t a fight between them just his misbehaviour which she found out about?

In English, it takes 27 words to say what you mean. German, most surprisingly, does it in one: drachenfutter. Okay, it literally translates as “dragon fodder,” but it serves the purpose in context.

In fact, German’s propensity for compound words is a boon for writers. Kummerspeck literally means “grief bacon,” but is used when someone gains weight from emotional overeating.

Then there’s backpfeifengesicht, for a face that cries out to be punched.

Skimmed any stones across water lately? In Dutch, you’d be plimpplamppletteren.

Fed up with the neko-neko at the office? It’s Indonesian for the person whose ideas only make things worse.

English can certainly describe each phenomenon, but for all its 650,000-word vocabulary, it hasn’t a clue what to call them.

The examples come from a book that has yet to be released in Canada called The Meaning of Tingo, by BBC researcher Adam Jacot de Boinod. After trawling the dictionaries of 154 of the world’s languages, he maintains that a country’s lingo tells more about its culture, even its economy, than any travel guide.

Like the Inuit and their myriad words for snow, Albanians apparently have an obsession with facial hair: 27 words for mustaches — hanging up, hanging down, bushy, thin, pointed, et al. — and another 27 for eyebrows. Not to be outdone, Hawaiians have 47 words for bananas, while Argentinian gauchos use 80 to 100 different words for horses.

“What I’m trying to do is celebrate the joy of foreign words,” says de Boinod. “While English is a great language, one shouldn’t be surprised there are many others having, as they do, words with no English equivalent.”

He thinks English should incorporate more than it does. The wonderful Italian word for someone tanned by sun lamp, slampadato, for example. Or the Russian word for that feeling one has for a former lover no longer loved: razbliuto.

But what of koshatnik, Russian for seller of dead cats, or cigerci, Turkish for a seller of liver and lungs?
Perhaps not those two — not when finding a name for something is a way of conjuring its existence. Which is what translators spend their lives doing.

(long part of article removed here).

An invaluable word on Easter Island, it means, as Adam Jacot de Boinod explains, “to borrow objects one by one from a friend’s house until nothing is left.”)

Dr. Paprika, if only every GQ thread provided such an overabundance of information in comparison to the tiny bit they wish to exact. This was a wonderful, informative read and while it’ll be eagerly monitored for a reply, might I just offer a quick “thanks” for the bonus philosophical, reflective component your question additionally inspires.

Well, gosh, do you expect them to just GIVE their dead cats away?

In the version of the article that I read, Koshatrik meant “a dealer in stolen cats” rather than a dealer in dead cats, which I guess makes a little more sense. I’ll look for it.

Here ya go:
BBC News

So people know where to look in the yellow pages.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I think this author is kind of reaching.
The word koshatnik does exist (derived from koshka - female cat + agentative ending -nik). Thus literally it means “cat person”. In a specific context it could have the meaning “seller of cats” (compare myasnik (butcher) from myaso (meat) + nik), but its most common meaning is “cat lover”. Nothing in the word itself implies the cats are dead or stolen.
As for razbliuto , that’s definitely a typo of some kind (whether the OP’s or the author’s, I don’t know). There’s a verb razlyubit’ that means “to fall out of love”, but I don’t see anything extraordinary in it that the English term doesn’t express.
I wonder if the terms from the other languages were chosen with equal care :rolleyes:

The one I have always loved, although not just one word, is the French “les mots de l’escalier.” Literally “the words of the staircase.” Meaning the things you think of later that you wish you had said during the argument.

Two of the three German terms mentioned in the text that the OP quoted are a bit off:

Drachenfutter is mostly used in the context of Drachenfutterverkäufer, the late-night flower sellers touring bars. The flowers are sometimes bought to present to the evening’s company, sometimes to propitate the spouse one returns home to. A Hausdrachen (domestic dragon) means a domineering wife - a term not usually used in the respective person’s face. Sometimes Drachenfutter is also used to denote a bouquet, of flowers, mother in law for presenting to - the derivation being similar.

A Backpfeifengesicht is a face that cries out to be slapped, not punched.

Here’s a thread about why you might need a word for a seller of stray cats:
Polish Cats Invade Germany! Is their goal vengence or fieldmice?

I always thought the common German examples were something of a cheat - half the time they’re just several words strung together as one word. My German knowledge is almost non-existent, but I know I’ve seen words before that were just multiple-compound words… I mean, any language could make “punchworthyface” [not the actual translation] a word.

It’s more words like “gezelligheid” or “schaedenfreude” that I think fit the bill better - there’s no real way to translate them literally, and aren’t just words strung together.

Sorry, didn’t mean to include the quote.

Just a WAG, but sellers of dead and/or stolen cats were common the world over in the days when fur was fashionable and indeed essential to survival in winter. Many cheap fur gloves, muffs etc. were likely to be cat or dog rather than rabbit or even more expensive fur species. And those animals, cats particularly, were not uncommonly collected and sold by the essentially itinerant or destitute. And they were whatever they could catch, be they strays or wandering pets.

So it wouldn’t surprise me if some areas of Russia, which in most places isn’t noted for a tropical climate, a word evolved for a person who traded in dead/stolen cats. Even less surprising if such a word simply meant cat-seller. Everyone would know what the word meant. I guess it would be similar to the English “rag-and-bone man” both in connotation and in the sense that the words themselves don’t convey the full meaning that the listener derives fom the term.

Sorry, somebody has to say it:

In Capitalist America, dead cats sell YOU.

Koshatnik could be used to describe a merchant that has a rundown shop or something along those lines. The meaning implies an old establishment where an owner would let his numerous felines have the run of the house and might even have more cats than quality goods.

Taking in strays has always been very Russian. The Hermitage for many years has had cats running around the joint that workers have adopted and fed. As such I would modify his definition a bit to ‘seller/merchant of stray cats.’

The author of the article seemed to explain 'dragon fodder" well enough but apparently made no effort to look into this word?

I should add that the only people selling dead cats today are the folks with the roadside ‘shashlik’ stands. Given the odds, I am quite certain that I have ended up consuming the odd dog or cat. (It’s odd that after six months of snow melted away, I never saw a single dead animal.) Tastes like chicken.

I have to say about the ‘punchworthy face’ that the English description of having a face like a ‘slapped arse’ is just as colourful, it appears to me that the author doesn’t look around at regional variations as that term is used widely around here.

English has some expressions that must sound really weird to foreigners:

try to explain “snake oil salesman” to somebody who translates it literally into his own language. It must sound as bad as ‘seller of dead cats.’

that’s a neat example–one word in German for an entire sentence in English.

But on the other hand–try this:
“the feeling of amazement when I finally understood and figured out something that had been unclear for years”
In English, it only takes 2 words: " lightbulb moment".

Schaden + freude = words strung together.

Exactly so. Benjamin Zimmer on Language Log has an excellent article showing up the inaccuracies in the Tingo piece.