Do cats die if you put razors in their eyes?

Another, and slightly more disturbing, question from my six-year-old nephew Zack. I told him that it was very possible, but not unavoidable, especially if you managed to stem the blood flow. I asked him why he wanted to know and he said that even though he keeps shining the flashlight in Jessie’s eyes he has yet to go blind. He then left me to ask my father the same question.

What should I have told him, and should I be concerned for Jessie?

Er, you said he was six…maybe he was mispronouncing “lasers”? (What with the interest in shining light in eyes, and whatnot.)

Which is, I suppose, only slightly less troubling than “razors,” depending on what he may or may not want the info for. :eek:

He doesn’t set fires or wet the bed a lot, does he?

His owner is concerned that he’s yet to to blind him and is asking if he’ll die if another method of producing blindness is used. I think concern wouldn’t be unwarranted - for both the cat and your nephew.

Could he have meant “laser?” In the context of a flashlight, it would make more sense.

I would have said “Maybe, and that’s just one of the many reasons not to do it. What a mean thing to do to kitty! What TV shows have you been watching?”

I just went and asked him about about it and he told me that he actually said “lasers”.

I am greatly, but not completely, relieved.

Well, the factual answer is that it depends ont eh laser power. A 5-milliwatt laser pointer? No. Might blind kitty, but won’t kill it. A thirty-gigawatt experimental YAG laser? Definitely kitty smoke.

But, tell him yes. And that it would really piss Santa off.

Tell the little monster to not point anything at Kitty’s eyes: lasers, razors, sticks, flashlights. Even pointy-class lasers have enough punch to ding retinas.

I have to disagree, even though it is a sensible safety precaution.
Most laser pointers are Class I lasers, which are rated for 30,000 seconds (8.3 hours) of retina/eye exposure (takes that long to cause damage).

Not that I reccommend shining lasers in people’s or especially cat’s eyes. Especially since some laser pointers are Class III lasers, and pack a MUCH bigger punch!

No, they are not. MOST laser pointers are class IIIa devices. Some are class II. Even fewer are class IIIb. No laser pointers are class I. Class I lasers must have an output which is wholly contained, such as that used in a laser printer or CD player.

See here.

They say the best way to learn science is hands on. I know it was for me . I’m glad to see your nephew has a strong inquisitive side. You know what you need to get him for Christmas. You only need to worry if he starts hurting dogs or monkeys.

I have a suspicion that if he tries it, he’ll be blind before the cat will. Cats have a tendancy to react to things they don’t like. And their reaction often does bear a striking resemblance to razors in eyes.

I disagree. My digital camera has a Class I laser for focusing - It sends out a wide pattern to determine distance. You may be right about the proportion of laser pointers (although mine is a Class I).

Cite:

My camera’s manual:

I hope this is a joke :frowning: .

Muab’Dib, child psych isn’t my particular specialty, but it won’t hurt to inquire further: “What would be good about the kitty being blind? What would be not good about it?” More info rather than less is usually a good thing. Also, it’s not as if a consult with a child psychologist is going to scar him for life or anything, although suggesting it to your sibling might not be a day at the beach. Can you link to the other disturbing Jessie questions?

Is this a joke? You’re suggesting a child psychologist because he’s showing curiousity that might, just possibly, upset kitty?

Between this and the Chinese/Trees Thread, Zack is fast becoming my favorite poster!

Muad’Dib, please try to convince him to formally join us on the boards! :slight_smile:

Are you taking the piss? Ever thought that it may, you know, be an innocent question from an inquisitive child?

Jesus Christ.

I’d be concerned that you now have a cat with freakin’ laser beams coming out of its eyes.

I don’t think healthy curiosity is anything to worry about, This isn’t a scenario where an enterprising middle school student decides to conduct a science fair experiment where he demonstrates immune response by lopping off two cats tails and tries to re-attach them (each to the other) cat, but is stymied by the vascular complexity and surgery necessary after sedating the cats with his mother’s valium he powdered up and mixed with sardines, so he has to bury his mistakes in the woods, and does a stupid “Organisms in Pond water” experiment instead. It’s not like that *at all. *