Wendell Wagner: Bite Me

In this thread I’m attempting to get a few local Dopers together for a beer, and in the OP I say that it’s not nearly as coordinated or “official” (with the quotes) as a Dopefest. Things have been fine, responses are trickling in, and then in post #16 you jump in and nitpick my OP by writing two paragraphs on how I should have just called it a MAD Dopefest, because that’s what it is.

I replied, saying basically, “dude, whatever,” and invited you to bite me (accompanied by a shit-eating-grin smiley). I then invited you to join us at the bar next month, and buy me a beer (accompanied by a wink smiley).

Your response? More nitpicking.

Who gives a fuck?

Seriously. I’m just trying to get a few folks together for a drink: why does it matter to you what it’s called? And why the fuck does it matter enough for you to argue with me about it, and hijack the thread?

Here are the reasons why you are wrong:

#1: What I’m proposing is not as coordinated as “any other Dopefest.” No, I’ve never been to one, but almost all of the MAD Dopefests I’ve been aware of in the past year have involved bringing food & drinks to someone’s house, or to a park in Gettysburg. I know of one that involved meeting at a restaurant or bar, and that was Opal’s farewell. Also, there is no discussion of the date, time, or location: if people can make it when/where I proposed, awesome. If not, I’ll be at Jimmy’s having a beer by myself. I’ve seen many Dopefest threads where it’s taken several posts to agree on a date.

#2: I said that it’s not as “official” as a Dopefest because I wanted to emphasize the casual nature of the get-together. No Dopefests are ever official, hence the use of quotation marks. Again, a date was proposed and people will either show up or not. It’s not “Misnomer organizing a Dopefest,” it’s “Misnomer seeing if folks want to meet for a drink.” There may not be a difference in your mind, but there’s obviously one in mine. And I ask again: what the fuck does it matter to you what it’s called?

#3: I did not use the term “MAD” in the thread title because I want to focus on NoVa people. If I’d wanted to organize a MAD get-together, I would have felt compelled to pick a more central location – especially if most of the affirmative replies came from out of state. Of course, any Doper from anywhere is welcome to attend – hell, folks can come from Idaho for all I care – but I keep running across posts from people who have “Northen Virginia” as their location (or have mentioned that they live around here) and I thought it might be cool for us to meet and have a beer locally … in our backyard, if you will. No hour-long drive to Baltimore, etc.

So, sans smiley this time, BITE ME. Seriously. Just get over it, man.

And then come have a drink with us next month.

Shit, Diogenes and I had planned on meeting for a drink last year when he and his wife passed through town to see her folks. Guess I should have stated it was a Dopefest? Learn something new every day.
(Dio. You still owe me that drink. After all, I won it by stating my Packers would sweep your SexQueens last year.)

And I’m calling for the same to happen again this ye…New Thread! :smiley:

Pit Lite, I call this. You get to blow off steam and still make nice with Wendell at the end. Misnomer, I haven’t had a chance to get to know you at all, but you seem like a nice guy even if you have an itchy Pit trigger finger. (You Pit with a wink :wink: ) Take my word for it, Wendell is a great guy and a credit to DC area Dopers. I hope he joins us there and that you two will become fast friends.

I don’t “get” to do anything: I responded to Wendell’s continued hijack in the appropriate forum, but also made it clear that this isn’t a big enough deal to hold a grudge about. I don’t know why you seem to think that those two things can’t coexist legitimately. Call it what you want, but it got the job done.

I assure you that I am not a nice guy. I am, however, a very nice woman.

I don’t have an “itchy Pit trigger finger”: this is the first time I’ve pitted another Doper. And I certainly didn’t “Pit with a wink,” because I sincerely meant every single thing I wrote.

Wendell might very well be a great guy, but in this particular case he was being a dick.

Damn, I was going to make pretty much that same joke, and went to the photo thread to fetch the evidence of your femininity. By the time I found this page, however, you had already responded to Johanna.

I highly doubt I’ll be in Northern Virginia at any time in the near future, but you certainly seem to be one of the many Dopers worthy of meeting. Of the captions to your photos, I especially enjoyed the one which mentions that your bowling shirt lists “Grammatically Correct” among your attributes.

Oh well, this is the Pit, so I’ll stop the compliments now… :cool:

Yeah, how’s that for a “misnomer”? Sorry, Jenny. I know how much I grrrr fucking hate it when someone does that to me. You are so pretty and those bangs complement you perfectly.

Drat, I should have waited! It would have been cool to see someone else correct that misunderstanding first for a change. Oh well … at least some folks have noticed. :wink:

Thank you. :slight_smile:

I wish I could take credit for that, but the other writers came up with it: the party mentioned in the caption took place just a couple of weeks after I joined the company, and my future teammates invited me to order my own shirt before I’d even started working there so I wouldn’t be left out at the party. I thought that was pretty damn cool, and it made me even happier that I’d accepted the job. I still have the shirt, though I’ve never worn it anywhere but that party!

Meh, it’s no biggie. Happens every now and then, and I reply differently each time. I could see you being a little more annoyed, though, since Johanna strikes me as a definitely feminine name.

Thanks!

It’s funny that you mention my bangs: I changed them about 2 weeks ago. :smiley: Now my hair is parted on the side and my bangs kind of sweep to the right (my right) – it looks quite similar, but not identical, to the pictures of me in high school and college. I liked it the old way, but everyone raves about this new cut and I have to admit that I like it, too. I need to get some pictures of me with the new 'do.

Initial spat aside, this thread has become pure MPSIMS material.

Off it goes and enjoy your get-together, all.

Veb

Okay, folks . . . let’s continue this discussion here.

Cajun Man
for the SDMB