Anybody playing Molyneux's new "The Movies"?

Up this past weekend, I’d only seen the preorder box on store shelves and assumed it was going to be some celebrity worship game. Jennifer Aniston trivia and Design-Your-Own-Punk’d jokes.

Then I found out that renowned game designer (and legendary letdown artist) Peter Molyneux was heading the project, and though Black and White and Fable weren’t all that he had hyped, they’re solid works and you won’t catch me calling Molyneux a hack. Just somebody that aims a little too high. My interest was piqued.

So I start looking around at reviews and video clips and, lo and behold, this actually looks entertaining! Again, it’s not going to be one of the greatest events in videogame history (as Molyneux has a tendency to claim his games will be), but it looks like solid, addictive, micromanagement fun. A bit of “tycoon,” a bit of Sims, and the moviemaker results look like fun bits of absurdist short film.

So now I’m debating with my checkbook whether the game is worth my $50, and I’m looking for any Doper first impressions that might help me decide.

I don’t think it’s out yet, but I’ll certainly be getting it this holiday season (if not sooner). Not only is there the SimCity business simulation, but you get to create movies based on scripts and stage directions you write yourself. Whether or not it’s actually limitless remains to be seen, but I’m looking forward to it.

I don’t think it’s out yet, but I’ll certainly be getting it this holiday season (if not sooner). Not only is there the SimCity business simulation, but you get to create movies based on scripts and stage directions you write yourself. Wether or not it’s actually limitless remains to be seen, but I’m looking forward to it.

The last release date that I saw (and this was a week or so ago) was today, November 8th. I fully intend to buy this, but I’m managing to resist purchasing it until I complete Nanowrimo. Battlefield 2 and Civilization 4 are doing a damn good job as it is of sucking me away from that writing project.

As lno mentioned, it was slated to come out today, Tuesday. Between people possibly going out on release day to snag it, and the fact that on any preorder/anticipated release some store somewhere always breaks the date, I figure there may be a few who are playing it, but also managing to keep an eye on the 'net.

I’ve seen reviews on Telefragged, Gamespy, IGN, and one other site whose name is escaping me at the moment (gamingtrends maybe?). Reviews have been positive.