Newspaper Popularity Bojangles.

I was reading the Radio Equalizer tonight and they said that the New York Times was the third most popular newspaper in the country. What are the other two?

I’m going to guess USA Today and Wall Street Journal. I’ll see if I can dig up a cite, though.

Here you go.

i thank you.

What?

No chicken?

DuhCow: You’re welcome. It feels good to be of some use.

Huh?

Bojangles

Let me spin off a secondary question to this: I can remember when growing up that there were certain newspapers that had a national reputation for excellent journalism, that were respected guides to American opinion. The NY and LA Times, the Washington Post, the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Atlanta Constitution, a few others. Is there any relatively objective measurement as to which papers have this sort of respect as reporters and molders of opinion today?

The number of Pulitzer Prizes they have won?

I would think this would be a very, very poor indicator. The NY Times still claims a prize for a reporter who was an apologist for Stalin and I think there have been numerous instances of prizes being awarded for articles which actually turned out to be pure fiction.

The Pulitzer is a lot like the Nobel Peace Prize in that it says more about the prejuduces of the committees who award the prizes than it does the quality of work of the recipient.