Jake The Bloodhound- Things Gone Horribly Wrong

Last night Jake went after Cricket, my Papillon, for no reason. Jake was sleeping on the dog bed , and Cricket was no closer than 4 feet from him , and he raised off the bed in slow motion , just zeroed in on her. I said his name a couple times, hoping to divert his attention, but it was like he didn’t hear me. He just seemed to swell , I have never seen a dog in real life look the way her did. I got between them and shoved Cricket back under the desk and got hold of his collar , and he turned that growl on me. It took all my strength to drag him back to his crate, growling all the way, I didn’t know if he was going to turn on me or not.

I called the rescue coordinator and told her what had happened , plus all the other little warning signs I had been getting all day- he growled when I tried to brush him , he has gone from being afraid of Charlie Cat to growling when he comes into the room, but this incident with Cricket was the worst. She said he cannot be considered safe, and said he needs to be put down.

So right now I am waiting for my friend Jamie to get here , and we will take Jake-slobbery, goofy, loveable-and unpredictable-Jake and return him to the Rainbow Bridge.

I wish this was easier. I wish I didn’t already love him , but I do. Oh, how I wish this had worked out. This is so very, very hard. He WANTS to be loved, but I don’t think he knows how, and even if I would be able to break thru to him , I don’t know if I could do it before he does serious damage to one of my dogs. It is a chance I cannot take.

Anna

Oh, I am so sorry. I just can’t imagine how hard this must for you, even though you know it is what has to happen.

Oh, Anna, my heart goes out to you! We just had to put one of our cats to sleep for health reasons last week. It always breaks my heart to know that there are animals who cannot be trusted - and it’s NOT their fault!! I’m so sorry that you’ve had to go through the ups and downs like this, only do have to face the ultimate “down” with Jake.

:frowning:

I’m so sorry.

Thanks you guys. Today was unbelievably hard. But Jakie is at peace now; I feel certain that something had happened in his life that left permanant damage; normal dogs just do not react like that.

It is hard to believe how much I grew to love that dog in the short time I had him. He wanted so badly to be my dog, and I wanted to be his person. But whatever demons he had to battle were too much for us to overcome.

I told him over and over this morning that I loved him , and told him to look my Gordon Gang up when he got to the Rainbow Bridge. I told him I hoped he would be waiting for me there with the others when my time is over. I hope he knew how much he was loved in the short time he was with me.

R.I.P. Jakie. Mama loves you.

I am so very sorry. Safe journey Jake.

I had a dog a few years ago, a four year old German Shepherd bitch who’s owner surrendered her to rescue. My old GSD had died the year before, and I really wanted another Shepherd so I adopted her.

She loved me, but she was so strange and unpredictable. She hated cats with a terrifying ferocity, with other people she was just strange. One day she attacked my old dog, sank her teeth in and just seemed to go completely blank, as if she wasn’t there at all. I’ve never seen a dog’s eyes like that, I couldn’t get her to let go, no matter what I did.

The old dog had to have surgery to repair the damage.

I had her put down, because I believed that she wasn’t safe, and could never be trusted around other dogs, cats, and maybe people.

She was young, healthy and beautiful, and it broke my heart. But truly, I think that for dogs like that, the damage done to them is such that they are unhappy, their own confusion and lack of control and inablility to fit in make them miserable.

You did the right thing, but it doesn’t make it any easier.

I hope this doesn’t put you off Bloodhounds, but you know, I wonder about the rescue organisation … this is something they should have picked up, and the fact that they didn’t suggests to me that if you want another 'hound, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

I am so sorry. I know you loved him and I’m sure he knew it too.

I’m so sorry, PapSett. Every dog I’ve ever owned has been a rescue dog, and I’ve always been terrified of being in your position. So far, I’ve been lucky.

<keeps fingers crossed>

Hey, you gave him every chance and you did the right thing. Situation still sucks, though. You have my sympathies.

I’m so sorry. I adopted a dobie from the pound once. I’ve had dobes for years, all sweet lovable dogs. This dog was surrendered because her owner died and the widow didn’t trust her. I, too, had a few warning signs throughout the day, but nothing serious. She bonded to me right away. That first evening I took her to meet my sister and her teenaged kids. Before my nephew had a chance to even speak to her, she lunged and bit him, growling all the while. I pulled her off and smacked her hard. She never raised a lip to me. I think I couldn’t beaten her and she’d’ve taken it. But I’ve always said I wouldn’t ahve a dog I couldn’t trust. The next day she went back to the pound. I had to tell them what happened, because it wouldn’t be safe for her to be with anyone else. I’m sure they put her down, but I really didn’t see that I had a choice. And Quinn loved me, I know that. But if I couldn’t trust her with family, how cuold I trust her with strangers?

Please give the breed another chance. I’ve had two other rescued dobes since then, with no problems. Sometimes a dog just can’t overcome the obstacles from his past, but most do.

StG

PapSett, I’m so sorry. You did your best, and at least his last days were with someone who did love him.

You did good. You’re in my thoughts.

I am sorry to hear your news. Sending supporting thoughts your way.

Clicker Training

A better link.

I’m sorry for your loss, PapSett. Good on you for making the effort to take in a rescue animal. It sounds like you didn’t have a choice in the end.