New! Classic Meltdowns from Joan, the manic coworker

So, I was reading this thread, and I noticed my theiving coworker from hell thread got mentioned (thank you, promethia and bluecanary!). I had promised updates, and while she’s had some wonderful moments, it hasn’t been anything truly pit worthy. But I will put them here for your perusal, and to thank Shiva for your good Karma that you don’t work with this woman.

The Ops Meeting, or: Joan Feels neglected

Once a month we have an operations meeting. Thanks to something I once read here, I now view any meeting over 20 minutes as a collossal waste of time (I have actually tested the theory; about 20 minutes of good input is all that’s ever been introduced into any meeting I’ve attended since I read the thread). So, in last month’s ops meeting, everyone has decided they’re not going to let Joan talk, because every time she does, she meanders on for about 10 minutes on a subject completely separate from whatever we’re discussing, usually to tell us about some menial task she performed as if it were the most difficult thing ever presented in utilization review history, which I could have summarized in 2 minutes if I spoke very slowly and used every difficult diagnosis I can remember. At any rate. We’ve al ignored her and talked over her every time she started speaking through just about the entire meeting, and I’m thinking “wow, maybe she’s getting now that she’s really an irritant. I know this has to be killing her.” The meeting starts to wrap, everyone is talking to each other, grabbing notebooks, water bottles, etc… when Joan STANDS UP SCOWLING AND STARTS TAPPING HER PEN ON THE CONFERENCE TABLE AS LOUDLY AS SHE CAN. We all stop and look at her, giving her the most “WTF??” looks we can manage. She says “Can I be heard, please? I have input, and you people have wasted this entire meeting on nothing! What I have to say is important!” Our jaws hang open. Everyone’s head swivels to Dr. M, who is chairing the meeting. He has one eyebrow raised, a sure sign of imminent crap rolling downhill at speed, but he managed to say “Of course, Joan. If it’s important I’m sure we all want to hear it.” Joan then proceeds to embarrass herself and me and her species by saying “I just wanted everyone to know that today is my 2 year anniversary here, and I think we should all go to lunch and the company pay for it.”
“…” can be heard throughout the room. Finally, I realize everyone is looking at me, and I say rather weakly, “Actually, Joan, we had something planned for later in the week within the department, when everyone is back from travelling.” This breaks the mood, Dr. M. smiles and said “then I guess that’s it. Everyone have a good week.” and we all go back to our respective departments, me with my face as red as my hair. I then throw together a pot luck lunch and a (snerk) gift certificate, which Joan proceeds to bitch about because “we have potlucks all the time and I wanted something special!” But we all ignored her and treated it as an excuse to not work for a couple hours, so it turned out fine.

Diagnosis code flubs, as magnified to a worse crime than terrorism, even

A lot of Utilization Review is…well, review. Review of patient charts for appropriate care, diagnosis, etc. After I review them, I sign them. This is standard, and gives you a basic idea of how thrilling my office life is. At any rate. One day, I come in a bit late. Joan is standing up, talking very loudly into the phone to what I can only guess is her nephew or neice or some other family member, because there is no way in hell she would ever be stupid enough to speak to a colleague in that tone using that language. Or so you’d think. I am going to edit this slightly for diagnosis, but it should give you the broad general reason she was screeching. I guess.
“I don’t know who you have there coding this crap you’re sending us, but it’s the WRONG CODE! No! It’s WRONG! This diagnosis is for (insert problem specifically related to female reproductive organs)!! The patient is a MAN!! Do you GET IT NOW?? My GOD, what kind of MORON do you have doing this stuff?” Joan becomes aware that I am staring at her. Sotto voce (IOW, normal tone for the rest of us): “I’ll be with you in a sec as soon as I’m done telling this person her job.” Into the phone: “I want a new diagnosis with a doctor’s sig NOW!”
Me: “Joan. Put the phone down, please.” “but…” “Now, please, Joan. Tell whoever it is, you’ll call them back.” She hangs up the phone. I take a deep breath and point her toward my office. We walk in, I shut the door. She starts to speak immediately, some crap about how “can you believe the nerve, what were they thinking,…” yada. I hold up my hand and say “Joan. In the first place, why were you reviewing these charts? You’re not supposed to do that. I review them, then give them to you to follow up with facilities.” She splutters and tries to interrupt. Not. Having it. “In the second place. This is simply a coding error. We get them, you know that.” splutter…“But it’s for (FEMALE REPRODUCTIVE PROBLEM) and it’s A MAN!” “Yes. That happens. Please, just professionally ask for a corrected code. There is no need to dress down the facilities in that manner. Please go apologize to that facility and make sure the chart is on my desk after you’re done. Please. Now.” sigh… Chart comes back, I follow up with facility, apologize profusely, chit chat with office manager, apologize some more. And the punch line? Joan thinks their coder is a moron, because she occasionally miscodes. Human error happens. We catch it, we correct it, we go on with life. We do NOT turn it into the crime of the century just because someone transposed a couple numbers. Unless we’re Joan.

The finance meeting coordinator dares to order Mexican

Another monthly meeting. This time, we get lunch because it’s three hours long. I swear, only finance can sway that kind of attention. Three hours out of everyone’s day to talk about money. At any rate. Joan sat in the corner of the meeting, not taking notes, not talking to anyone (it was bliss), arms crossed, scowling and staring at the CFO’s assitant becauuuuuuse… She had the gall to order Mexican food for lunch. It’s the CFO’s favorite. Joan refuses to eat, and stalks from the room at lunch time, to return with her sandwich and a banana, which she ate while burning a hole into said assistant’s skull with her eyes. Easily the best finance meeting we’ve had in the past 8 months, bar none. Even better than when they told us we were in the black enough to spend some serious cash on a new Olympus machine in the lab.

One day, one of my coworkers asked Joan where she got the idea that it was alright to talk to people that way. You’re going to like the response. She said, and I quote: “Well. See, I’m Italian. We’re a very straightforward people. Everyone knows that and knows how I am. I don’t have to explain myself or change the way I am.” Mary just blinked, thought for a few seconds, then walked away. I don’t blame her.

Maureen refresh my memory. Exactly why does this person still have a job there? I’m not trying to be snarky it’s just that she would have been sooooo long gone if she worked for me.

As an excitable Italian I find her excuse to be very weak.
At my worst, I have never berated a customer of my company for anything. I very quickly try an put them back to customer service. I have even “learned” not to say “How did you get this extension?” in a snarky voice.
They tolerate my lapses in professionalism as I am a very strong Coder and troubleshooter with eclectic skills.
My biggest fault is if someone does start talking down to me or rudely to me, I am right back in their face. I usually get loud and thus in trouble. This is pretty immature for a 39 year old.
I am very frank with people and no one who knows me makes the mistake of asking questions like “how does my hair look?” Without thinking, I am too likely to say, even if it is negative. {Thankfully my wife’s grandmother had really liked this in me, my wife valued her opinion a lot}

So my question to you: What does Joan bring to the table skill wise that she is worth keeping? I know why I am tolerated and I don’t sound half as bad.

Jim

Crud: Sorry for the double post;
I enjoy your stories about Joan. I just read the boombox episode yesterday. :smiley:
Is this why you keep her? Entertainment value? :wink:

Jim

There are a few reasons, at least as far as I can tell. First and foremost, I suck at firing people. I mean, like, Norm Peterson bad. I’d rather go get my teeth cleaned than fire someone.

The second is probably because she’d sue us for whatever reason she could think up in that fevered imagination of hers. I have no doubt in my mind she’d do it the second she walked out of the building.

Third, I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who thinks she’ll do some kind of retalliation. Y’know that guy on Desperate Housewives? George the Pharmacist? Female version, I kid you not.

All of those things, I could probably find some way of dealing with but the last reason is the clincher: we cannot find anyone, temps or otherwise, to fill the spot. We ran an ad and got 5 responses, all from people outside the healthcare field. Temp agencies are dry. I want to fire her, but I am not going to do it til I have a replacement lined up. She can do the work when she focuses, and the majority of the time she does. It’s these lapses in judgement that kill that majority of the time decent work.

You need to somehow hire my brother for a few days. He is very good at firing the useless and the detriMENTAL. He is also an excitable Italian. :wink:
When someone gets in his face, he gives it back and he has no fear of retaliation. I think the crazies that would attempt something actually fear him. His boss says he is “Explosive”.

Jim

Yes, well, see, Joan is “explosive” too. That’s the problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

It sounds like you have the authority to fire her, but can’t at the moment because of staffing reasons. My advice? Start documenting these lapses NOW. Every time she pulls something, write it down and put it in a file. When it comes time for her performance review (you are doing performance reviews, right?) you give her a warning, and suggest that she change her behavior. If she doesn’t change, repeat your warning at her next review. That way when it really does come time to axe her she’s in a much weaker position to retaliate.

Yeesh - wasn’t it just two or three years ago when Silicon Valley was crawling with skilled, out-of-work folk? I’m not just talking techies, but everybody. Good illustration of how cyclical economies can be.

Y’see, this is less about helping you than it is about giving all of us something to laugh about.

Greatest good for the greatest number and all that.

:wink:

So, I gather that Joan is what? 8 or 9 years old?

I work in a hospital and in my department, she may have gotten away with one temper tantrum.