The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

To Kill a Mockingbird

I just saw this (again) on AMC.

Damn that's one good movie. Gregory Peck should have won the Oscar. Watching him from behind when he said that Tom Robinson was dead - whoa.

It makes me cry every time when Scout sees Boo behind the door, and the look of wonder on her face.

"Stand up, Miss Jean-Louise! Your daddy's passin'.)

I cry every single time.
Advertisements  
Old 12-20-2005, 10:54 PM

It's a great movie. Right from the opening credits (which are brilliant), you're in it. Gregory Peck won the Best Actor Oscar for it. I believe it also won Best Adapted Screenplay and Art Direction.

As an aside, my daughter, watched it for English earlier this year, and afterward, said to me "Gregory Peck is kind of, um, disturbingly attractive for an old man." So of course I had to show her what a stunner he was as a young man, and we had a Gregory Peck filmfest that weekend. Now I've probably got the only fourteen-year-old in America whose room is plastered with pictures of Gregory Peck.

Last edited by fluiddruid; 12-20-2005 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Fixed coding
Old 12-20-2005, 10:55 PM

Could a mod kindly fix my piss-poor coding?
Thank you!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG
. . . Now I've probably got the only fourteen-year-old in America whose room is plastered with pictures of Gregory Peck.
Ha! cool. He shore was purty. I like him best in Duel in the Sun.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener
Ha! cool. He shore was purty. I like him best in Duel in the Sun.
aka Lust in the Dust.

To Kill A Mockingbird's my favorite Peck movie too, followed by The Big Country, The Bravados, and The Yearling.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:08 AM

Quote:
It's a great movie. Right from the opening credits (which are brilliant), you're in it. Gregory Peck won the Best Actor Oscar for it. I believe it also won Best Adapted Screenplay and Art Direction.

As an aside, my daughter, watched it for English earlier this year, and afterward, said to me "Gregory Peck is kind of, um, disturbingly attractive for an old man." So of course I had to show her what a stunner he was as a young man, and we had a Gregory Peck filmfest that weekend. Now I've probably got the only fourteen-year-old in America whose room is plastered with pictures of Gregory Peck.
Gregory Peck is my anachronistic crush. He was seriously yummy. Not only extremely good looking but that voice! *le sigh* They just don't make them like that anymore.

I love To Kill A Mockingbird, too, everytime I see it I am enthralled.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
As an aside, my daughter, watched it for English earlier this year, and afterward, said to me "Gregory Peck is kind of, um, disturbingly attractive for an old man."
Please instruct your daughter that a 46-year-old is an older man, not an old man. (I'm getting close to that age.)
Old 12-21-2005, 12:18 AM

More reasons to love him. I just read his bio on IMDB. Wow.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:05 AM

Great flick.

Except I used to get distracted when they started talking about "bustin' up a chifforobe". My mind would wander away, wondering what the heck is a chifforobe? Until I finally looked it up:

chif•fo•robe n. Chiefly Southern U.S.
A tall piece of furniture typically having drawers on one side and space for hanging clothes on the other.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:19 AM

Well, if they were to remake To Kill A Mokingbird today, whom would you chose to play Atticus Finch? Scout? Boo?

Tom Hanks might be good for Atticus.

Man, if ever have a boy, I might just name him Atticus. What a cool name....
Old 12-21-2005, 09:28 AM

To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite movie, one of the few I've purchased. I enjoy re-reading the book from time to time, as well.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:34 AM

I love it too, simply a great, great movie. (marvelous book too )
Old 12-21-2005, 09:50 AM

Excellent book, excellent movie.

I read through IMDB's biography of Peck's life. Though it was mostly apt, there was one sentence which I found slightly amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDB
In the early 60s, he appeared in two dark films, Cape Fear (1962) and Captain Newman, M.D. (1963), which dealt with the way people live.
...Well... a lot of movies do, you know.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

And as I mentioned a few days ago. . .

The ancient Miss Dubose was only 48 (the mean ol' lady who keeps a pistol under her shawl) when she made this movie!

And what about that toothy kid from a later "Star Trek" ep "Miri." "Lovey Dovey! Bonk, bonk on the head!"
Old 12-21-2005, 11:16 AM

This is one of my favourite movies of all time. I recently had the pleasure of introducing my husband to it - he'd never read the book nor seen the movie, and while I was happy to get to see it with him for the first time, it broke my heart when, during the court scene after Atticus demonstrated that Tom could not have hit the girl because of the injury to his arm, Mr. Bunny got all happy and said "That's it! They have to let him go now!"

Needless to say, we were both in tears by the end. After that. we decided that when we have a kid some day, Atticus would make a fine middle name.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:25 AM

The movie is a 10 and they held true to a great book.
Always compelling to watch and likely to pull 2 hours out of a day that I planning to do something else.

They should never remake this movie. There are some that are too good to touch.
This is one.
I believe AFI rated Atticus as the #1 Movie Hero of all time. I thought that was a remarkably good choice.

Jim
Old 12-21-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
When I was in grade 9, we read and watched "To Kill a Mockingbird", and I fell in love. Everyone else's lockers were plastered with pictures of N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys and Eminem; my locker had a pig picture of Gregory Peck (and a couple smaller ones of Jimmy Stewart - also introduced to me by my English teacher). The wallpaper on my computer is currently a picture of Mr. Peck. And I turned out fine! I just have an irrational attraction to men over 40!

Sounds like you're raising a smart one there, congrats.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

I would love to see a new treatment, not of To Kill a Mockingbird, but of the actual Scottsboro Boys case ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottsboro_boys ). TKMB is told from a child's perspective, and what's important from a child's perspective is not really Tom Robbins, but her father and what she learns both about and from her father. That's FINE, and a good and valid story to tell, but I would like to see the same material from the perspective of the people for whom it was the defining events of their adult life, not just one of many fomative events of their childhood.

Plus, the closest analoge in the real case to the Atticus charecter was a Commie Jew boy from New York. I think that is different enough to be worth exploring.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn
I just saw this (again) on AMC.

Damn that's one good movie. Gregory Peck should have won the Oscar. Watching him from behind when he said that Tom Robinson was dead - whoa.

It makes me cry every time when Scout sees Boo behind the door, and the look of wonder on her face.

"Stand up, Miss Jean-Louise! Your daddy's passin'.)

I cry every single time.
Oh, I know exactly what you mean. "Hey, Boo."
Old 12-21-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Goodness gracious, you're not kidding. I hadn't known he looked like a department store mannequin! That's seriously archetypically handsome!
Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Devout Christian Louboutin

From the IMDB bio:

Quote:
Brock Peters delivered his eulogy on the day of his funeral and burial, June 16, 2003. In To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), Peters played Tom Robinson, the black man accused of raping a white girl that Atticus Finch (Peck's character) defended in court.

...tremendous sniff....
Old 12-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Loved that movie too.
When he got out second dog, I wanted to name her Atticus, but that was veto'd by the powers that be (wife and mother in law). My second vote was Scout and that stuck.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream
Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!!!!!!!! Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot
Goodness gracious, you're not kidding. I hadn't known he looked like a department store mannequin! That's seriously archetypically handsome!
And that's still! He's even more stunning in motion. This one's a personal favorite.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:52 PM

What a great movie. I want to give a shout out for the wonderful score.

If I had a daughter she would have to go out on halloween as a Ham one year.

For me, one of the most powerful moments of the film is when the drunk shows up at Brock Peters house when Atticus and the kids are there asleep in the car. He was so menacing and then when he screams out "NIGGER LOVER!" it is such a shock and it is so much raw hatred in his voice that it is really stunning. You know he is thinking that but to hear it said.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Well, if they were to remake To Kill A Mokingbird today, whom would you chose to play Atticus Finch? Scout? Boo?

Tom Hanks is a great guy. He was great in Big. He was great in Forrest Gump. But Tom is NO Atticus Finch.

(No Robert Langdon either, but that's another thread....)

I don't think there's any actor out there who could improve on - or even equal - Peck's performance in the film.
I hope to Og they don't remake this film. It doesn't need to be remade. It certainly doesn't need to be remade with Tom Hanks, Dakota Fanning, or any other bland actor or actress who manages to end up in every remake ever.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:39 PM

I had never even heard of Gregory Peck when I read the book at age thirteen. But when I saw the movie, he was EXACTLY how I pictured Atticus Finch.

I still miss Mr. Peck. He was everything-devastatingly handsome, humble, a good humanitarian, one hell of an actor and just an all around wonderful human being.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:37 PM

When I get my mini-schnauzer I am naming him Atticus. I think it's a very wise looking dog, perfect for Atticus
Old 12-21-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfranchi
They should never remake this movie.
I have bad news for ya'll.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

That must have been a baaaaaad movie. Nobody seems to have seen it, there's no plot summary, nothing. Not even a full cast listing.

As others have said, there's some movies that just shouldn't be remade.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant
If no one has seen it and there is no info on it, it doesn't really count.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:53 PM

That "remake" has all the marks of a non-exsitant, amateur, or non-released movie. There is no such movie registered with the U.S. Copyright Office.

One of the pitfalls of a user-submitted database like IMDb — bogus credits.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

My favorite character from the book was Dolphus Raymond. He didn't want to take any shit for his unusual lifestyle, so he invented a way to fool people into more or less excusing it.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn
It's her perfect response that gets me. "Hey, Boo."
Old 12-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walloon
That "remake" has all the marks of a non-exsitant, amateur, or non-released movie. There is no such movie registered with the U.S. Copyright Office.

One of the pitfalls of a user-submitted database like IMDb — bogus credits.
Yeah, it does look goofy.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
If no one has seen it and there is no info on it, it doesn't really count.
"If a movie falls in the box office, and nobody watches it, does it really make a sound?"
Old 12-21-2005, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp
"If a movie falls in the box office, and nobody watches it, does it really make a sound?"
Yes or maybe no?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostillicus
It's her perfect response that gets me. "Hey, Boo."
Exactly.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

There was a comedian who had, as part of his routine, Gregory Peck doing a scene from <i>Taxi Driver</i>.

"Excuse me. Are you speaking to me?"

Well, it's funny if you hear it with Gregory Peck's voice...
Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 PM

Quote:
John Lithgow as Atticus, Delta Burke as his sister (omitted from the movie), unknowns as Scout and Boo. (Billy Bob Thornton might be interesting as Atticus as well.)
Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 PM

Of course the TV show I'll Fly Away with Sam Waterston and Regina Taylor was essentially "To Kill a Mockingbird: the series". Never found an audience which is too bad, because it was a top quality show.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant
It's worse than you think. Here's the guy who played Atticus. He has one other IMDB credit: The Late Show with David Letterman--"audience services." Doesn't that mean usher?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener
It's worse than you think. Here's the guy who played Atticus. He has one other IMDB credit: The Late Show with David Letterman--"audience services." Doesn't that mean usher?
All in favor of never dicussing Armen Tamzarian again say nothing.

Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Another great actor is Frank OVerton who played Sheriff Heck Tate. His classic speech at the end of the movie (Bob Ewell fell on his own knife) is a work of art.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Levon Helm Arkansas' own from The Band.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:08 AM

Another fan checking in. To me it's a movie which appeals to the best in human nature.

CJ
Old 12-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_ax
There was a comedian who had, as part of his routine, Gregory Peck doing a scene from <i>Taxi Driver</i>.

"Excuse me. Are you speaking to me?"

Well, it's funny if you hear it with Gregory Peck's voice...
"Go away. Beverly is busy."
Old 12-22-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithy Tove
"Go away. Beverly is busy."
Wasn't that Steve Landesberg? lol

VCNJ~
Old 12-22-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veuve_ClicquotNJ
Wasn't that Steve Landesberg? lol

VCNJ~
My god that was him, I forgot that line. Wasn't it in the his first appearance?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
My god that was him, I forgot that line. Wasn't it in the his first appearance?
I don't think it was on "Taxi" though. Wasn't it when he was playing Detective Dietrich on "Barney Miller"?

VCNJ~
Old 12-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Great book. Great movie.

How many book/movie combinations can you say that about?

One thing that I don't remember as ever being covered: How did Atticus' wife die? I've always wondered whether that had anything to do with his aversion to guns.