Old 01-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

The most tiresome cliches in advertising

You've seen them. God, you've seen them. The trite situations that ad agencies can't seem to get away from. Not just a single advertiser, but all across the board.

For instance:

Husband (eating/drinking/using "Blammo"). "I really love Blammo."
Wife: "That's not Blammo you're <eating/drinking/using>."
Husband (horrified): "It's not?"
Wife: "No. It's new improved Blammo!"

Or

Car drives at excessive speed over winding road (or up a hill on on a city street). It's the only car on the road. The fine print says "Professional driver on a closed course."

What are your choices?
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:51 PM

The faux-Film-Noir hardboiled detective bit, especially when used to advertise something like cold medicine, makes me grind my teeth.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:00 PM

Kid/dog makes a mess. Mother runs in, gasps, and pulls a giant grin out of her ass because now she can use her new, improved HandiMop!
Old 01-06-2006, 04:02 PM

A guy tries to do something around the house and is completely clueless as to how to, say, wash dishes, mop the floor, dial a telephone...
Old 01-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Any commercial involving a car. "Sales event going on now at your local X dealer!" You don't say.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Everyone who needs to clean the kitchen has not just any little kitchen nook; no, they have a kitchen large enough to house a small family of elephants.

Or those ads that say, "Do you have a problem with soap scum?" And show the scummiest, most impossible soap scum mess in the world. I understand what they're trying to say, but when you ask me that question, and show me that picture, I'm going to say, "Honestly? I've never had that much of a problem with soap scum in my life. And if my shower looked that bad, I'm going to need more than bottle of SCUM-B-GON! to help me."

I suppose the first problem I should address is why I speak back to my television set. But it did ask.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant_Spongess
Mother runs in, gasps, and pulls a giant grin out of her ass because now she can use her new, improved HandiMop!

You mean she cracks a smile?

Ooh, ow, OUCH!! Stop hitting me!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:42 PM

Lists comprising phrases beginning with the word "FACT:..." (usually at least a few of the items on the list are not facts at all, but opinions.

And 'Simply the best!' this seems to be a common little phrase that small businesses will paint on their vans below the logo; their company name will inevitably consist of two or three initials (probably those of the owner) and a word describing their trade, i.e.: "JPB Plumbing - Simply The Best!" or "PHG kitchens - Simply The Best!". Every time I see this (which is a fair bit) I can't help imagining that the guy who owns the company was just totally wowed by Tina Turner one day and thought to himself that it would be incredibly original to use 'Simply The Best' as the company catchphrase - yeah, I mean, who else would think of it?.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:53 PM

Blobs got that SMILE again ....
Old 01-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist
A guy tries to do something around the house and is completely clueless as to how to, say, wash dishes, mop the floor, dial a telephone...
Or just about anything. Clueless guy; always makes the wrong choice until his woman, infinitely smarter of course, steps in with an exasperated look (which turns into wry, knowing smile) and saves the day! by using brand A rather than brand B. Because, you know, only an idiot (or a guy; same difference) would use brand B.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:30 PM

Any ad with an animal talking or singing. It's just wrong.

Also, pretty much any car ad. They seem to suggest that their car will cause all other cars on the road to disappear, that you will become a talented stunt driver, that your coffee will never spill, and that your family will be blissfully happy just for the privilege of riding in it. Also, you will be able to fit anything, ANYTHING into the trunk. If you're old, it will make you younger, if you are young, it will make you seem more dignified. If you're a girl, it will make you drive like a man and if you're a man, it will get you laid. I have yet to see any car do any of these things.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:36 PM

A man mistaking a woman’s enthusiasm for the advertised food product (which either he or she is eating) for sexual advances.

Not the most overused, but I've seen it enough times to be irritated.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:46 PM

If I get a dime every a product uses this cliche...

- Enters a girl with bad hair problem/bad acne problem/bad skin problem/bad-whatever-the-hell

- Shows the girl in a very embrassassing moment because of the forementioned problem. ("I don't dare to go near the cute guy because of my split and horrid hair!")

- Optional: Has the girl says, "Due to my split hair/ugly face/ugly black mole on the centre of my forehead/my unpredictable period which doesn't stick to any schedule/whatever else that is bothering me, I don't have any confidence in anything that I do! Waa..."

- Shows up a friend/mother/lab assistant/random stranger from the street who passes the Miracle Cure-All Product to the girl

- Girl uses the Miracle Cure-All Product

- Astonishing shot of the girl going from an ugly ducking to a strutting peacock.

- Girl and cute guy gets together.

- "Miracle Cure-All Product has restored my self-esteem and confidence, guaranteeing many years of prosperity, success at work and tonnes of friends! I will live happily ever after!"

Bleh.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent
Blobs got that SMILE again ....
blob got some "Male enhancement"...spare the F@ck outta me....these make me waanna ....nevermind...
Old 01-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

This reminded me of 2 specific advertising campaigns that I absolutely hate:

- Commercials for tampons where the two women are talking and one says, "Do you ever have one of those days when you're feeling.... not so fresh?"

- The Herbal Essesence commercials where the woman is so totally getting off while shampooing her hair, then they end with the tag line, "A totally organic experience". What's worse is that this commercial has shown up in the middle of children's programming.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:05 AM

Person perfoming task the "old-fashioned" way--as graceful as a spastic moose on crack.

Person using efficient new "cool" gadget to perform same task--suddenly coordinated enough to ballet dance on a high wire during a hurricane.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:46 AM

Car ads that use classic rock songs in them. Music (esp. the great rock songs from the 70's) is sacred to me and once I associate the song with a car...total buzzkill.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:00 AM

Kids that know everything about computors at six years old.

Dads being utterly useless and having to be led around by the nose by six year old kids.

I boycott such products that portray men as being such useless ineffectual beings.

Dads who have stupid opinions until corrected by the wise all knowing wife, six year old etc.

Its really a wonder that men can actually feed themselves and hold down a job at all.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:09 AM

Nearly naked women in beer commercials (Not that I mind , but they are overused)
Old 01-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Pretty. Stupid. Slogans.
Real. Dumb. Jokes.

Okay, it was funny maybe the first time you parsed out 3 words to tell me that your product is "pretty" AND "tough" AND it's also "Pretty tough!" And guess what? It's also a countertop! Pretty. Tough. Countertops! HAHAHAHA! That's funny! If only you and a million other people didn't do the same thing I'd be laughing my ass off!

(yes, I've been wanting to post this for some time.)
Old 01-07-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster
Or just about anything. Clueless guy; always makes the wrong choice until his woman, infinitely smarter of course, steps in with an exasperated look (which turns into wry, knowing smile) and saves the day! by using brand A rather than brand B. Because, you know, only an idiot (or a guy; same difference) would use brand B.
This was the first thing I thought about on seeing the OP. I also thought about this stupid radio commercial I keep hearing over and over again. It's about a talk show on a certain station where they answer the "unanswerable" questions. One of their examples is "Why is your husband such an idiot?" I mean, c'mon, this assumes that all men (at least married ones) are morons. If I thought my husband was that big a dumbass, I never would have married him in the first place.

I also hate those commercials that show people doing perfectly ordinary things, screwing them up so badly, then getting a product that will yes, make it easier, but has only one use. One example was this pot that had a spaghetti strainer in the top. It first showed this woman trying to dump just the water our of the pot and accidentally throwing half of the pasta down the sink. She looked up at the camera with this exasperated "Please help me" smile. Then, she was given this ridiculous pot and miraculously never ever spills pasta again.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragwyr
- Commercials for tampons where the two women are talking and one says, "Do you ever have one of those days when you're feeling.... not so fresh?"
Any ad where the actors pretend they're just happening to have a normal, everyday conversation in which the product in question just happens to naturally come up as the central topic.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

There's a car. It's a perfectly normal silver (it's always silver) car- the kind you wouldn't look at twice. Maybe it's a mid-level luxury car, OK. But the commercial has dudes & dudettes oggling it, and staring at the damn thing as if it's a Lamborghini or a Maseratiti or something unusual and cool- looking.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead
Any ad where the actors pretend they're just happening to have a normal, everyday conversation in which the product in question just happens to naturally come up as the central topic.
*cough* I started a thread on this *cough*
Old 01-07-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
- The Herbal Essesence commercials where the woman is so totally getting off while shampooing her hair, then they end with the tag line, "A totally organic experience". What's worse is that this commercial has shown up in the middle of children's programming.
Mad TV did an awesome parody of these, with "Herbal Essentials," a new version for guys.

I nominate the "tough, smart lawyers" who advertise on daytime TV.
"They've got Lawyer X."
"What's it gonna take the settle this case?"
I believe the commercial was filmed about 50 years ago, and they just switch around the names as needed.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:37 PM

"Don't take our word for it--come in and check it out for yourself!"

Gosh, that's so clever. You play on my self-image as a hard-boiled, cynical consumer to manipulate me into doing what you want. Ooh, you've got my number all right! Putzes.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

I, too, hate the idiot man-child motif, and the precocious brat motif, especially when it is strategically mispronouncing things ala Family Circus. The sexy-female-executive wearing red and strutting down the corridor/ street tossing her hair around motif is irritating, too.
The "is that sexy person looking at he? Are they waving at ME? Is he/she really coming over to talk to me?!. . . oh, there's someone else behind me! Aw!" is old.
I hate twins-themed commercials, too.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
It was actually for Massengill Douches. I'm a little embarrassed that I know that.

I hate any commercial in which a Governor of New York tells me that some perfectly awful little brat is "a healthy kid." I know it's not too common a motif, but it bugs me.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:46 PM

To go along with the dumb guy cliche, any beer commercial where a guy ignores or foregoes a hot girl in favor of beer. Why would that sell more beer? I can't think of anything more horrifying or pathetic than someone who would actually behave that way.

Any food commercial that makes the food seem sexy, all shiny and glossy and exciting, esp. when they show some woman eating the food and acting like it's better than sex, double esp. when it's diet food she's eating.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystreak
To go along with the dumb guy cliche, any beer commercial where a guy ignores or foregoes a hot girl in favor of beer. Why would that sell more beer? I can't think of anything more horrifying or pathetic than someone who would actually behave that way.
More generally, any commercial where the person (either male or female) ruins their relationship with their spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend because of something stupid like a hamburger or a candy bar (or beer). The only message this sends to me is, "our target audience is people who are selfish and have no sense of priority."
Old 01-07-2006, 07:09 PM

I like how roads are practically always clear of traffic in car adverts.
Buy this car and traffic jams will disappear...
Old 01-07-2006, 08:34 PM

I was going to post about my burning hatred of Applejacks commercials, but I have not seen one for a while, and the specifics are starting to fade.

One thing I hate, which is also found in movies, is when the someone says something dumb, and the music comes to a screeching halt and then the dog cocks its head quizzically. Arrrrrrrr?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

For me it's car commercials in which they loudly exclaim: "Best in Class!", "JD Power Award Winner!", "Best Selling!" etc. Of course there are about 35 different classifications, many of which can be subdivided to the point where there might only be one car in the class!

A cousin to this phenomonon is the TV Show teaser in which just about every network has the "Best new comedy!", "Best Drama on Wednesdays!", "Most Watched Show!" and all sorts of other permutaions which don't clarify if these are simply quotes from a review, one particular weeks ratings, and what composite of criteria they happen to be using to fulfill the claim.

I think it irritates me as much as it does because I know that so many idiots in the world don't realize this stuff which means it works.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

There's the "no other X is better than our product." Still works because people don't realize that, in order to say that, the FTC requires that all the products in the category work equally well.

Thus if they say "Nothing works faster than Philboid Studge!" what the mean is "Any similar product works just as well as Philboid Studge."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:13 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

Quote:
The latest variation on this are the ads for prescription medications, where the actors chat earnestly about the side effects: "My doctor said it cariied a small risk of halitosis, flatulence, anal leakage, and in rare cases, prehensile rectum syndrome, explosive diarrhea and death...."

Another cliché: Why are all male children in commercials named Billy?
Old 01-07-2006, 09:58 PM

I always get annoyed at the "if you call in the next ten minutes, we'll throw in another bottle of Blammo absolutely free" bit. Like they've got some sort of shot clock at Blammo HQ that resets every time their commercial runs on late night cable.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman
The only message this sends to me is, "our target audience is people who are selfish and have no sense of priority."
Similarly, commercials that, if you think about it, make it sound like your customers are idiots...specifically some VW commercials.

"Oh, what was that technology? Makes the wheels that slip send power to the wheels that grip? I shoulda got that."

GuyOnCellphone: "Hurry! they've got the Silver [jetta, stock, bland, jetta, nothing special here] one!" Woman walks out with key. Guy licks the car like he's marking his territory.

Of course, to make this work, the Woman shoulda licked the key. And the salesman shoulda tasered the GuyOnCellphone.

There's a certain type of commercial. It MUST be an example in Chapter two of 'making commercials 101' in college...Here's the formula

Woman: Isn't <stupid non-wacky> situation wacky?
Woman: Well with <non related product> you life will be better better better!
Woman: So buy <product> and don't be wacky!

Now, mad-lib the formula and come up with 60% of all local radio commercials.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Screwing the unscrutable.

The one line in radio commercials that makes me cringe - I refuse to use it in any of my copy and have been known to fly into a rage if one of my copywriters uses it:

...For all your (plumbing, feminine hygeine, drug, firearm, etc.) needs, call (plumber, drug store, gun shop, etc.)!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Proud Member of the SDMB "99'ers"!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:42 PM

Most of my most hated are already taken. The idiot man being treated like a child by his wife/8-year-old daughter.

What I've been seeing lately are the "loss of sexual performance" commercials.

I'm not talking about the obvious ones.

Meet Bob. "Bob" is "a limp-dicked fag." "Bob" can't please his "nymphomaniac wife" because he has a "limp dick." Bob took "Stiff-X" and now "Bob" nails his hot wife with his "huge, throbbing man muscle" right in her "tight, throbbing pussy." And once "Bob" is through with her, "Bob" "fucks the brains out of" every other "hot sex-starved pussy" in the neighborhood.

No, I'm not talking about those. Lately what I've been seeing are the other "loss of sexual function" commercials.

"Are you a man? Have you ever had: High blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, dry skin, dandruff, occasional acne, hair on your arms, smelly farts? These could be symptoms of your loss of sexual function! Consult your doctor!"
Old 01-07-2006, 11:20 PM

Those 'before/after' shots of someone who used Brand X Cosmetic Product, where the 'before' shot obviously has far inferior lighting and involves the person scowling like a hideous monster.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:29 PM

Right. Nothing works better than ZonkMaster. Damn near everything similar works just as well as ZonkMaster, and many brands are a lot cheaper than ours, but we're not lying, exactly, when we say that nothing works better than our product.

This product is not only better quality and better looking than that of our competitors, but the people in our ads who use it have a more exciting social life than you do, schmuck. If you would start using our product - and maybe start being a little social yourself - you, too could be better at entertaining and you might actually find that you have some friends.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:48 AM

I just have to laugh though at the Carl's Jr. commercials where the single-guy doesn't even know how to make breakfast. If it weren't for Carl's Jr., some guys would starve!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf in second hand clothing
I was going to post about my burning hatred of Applejacks commercials, but I have not seen one for a while, and the specifics are starting to fade.
Thankfully, they've gotten rid of their stupid "Apple Jacks don't taste like apples" campaign and replaced it with a new one that explains why they don't taste like apples- they have cinnamon flavor, too. A cartoon apple attempts to sabotage a cinnamon stick's attempts to get to a bowl of Apple Jacks, but his plans backfire. I'm glad they changed it.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
A man mistaking a woman’s enthusiasm for the advertised food product (which either he or she is eating) for sexual advances.

Not the most overused, but I've seen it enough times to be irritated.
We don't get that kind of saucy innuendo in the states. Mostly hapless chaps and their savior women swooping in to clean up our mess.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbossa
Those 'before/after' shots of someone who used Brand X Cosmetic Product, where the 'before' shot obviously has far inferior lighting and involves the person scowling like a hideous monster.
Seeing video of the chunky people before, then video of them after they've used WeightGain3000 and SoloBowFleXtreme just tells me that to be truly motivated to lose weight and get in shape, you need to be on the payroll of a company that sells excercise equipment.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:01 AM

The ones that always peg my fun-meter are the car ads that say, "We'll pay off your trade-in no matter how much you owe on it!!!"

Well, D'UH!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:15 AM

The worst cliches are those that foster the mispronunciation of words like absorb and stomach, but my pet peeves are the ones where they have these pre-printed pads with the check boxes for symptoms that Product A only relieves some of while Product B (or C) handles all of. Have you ever seen such a checklist on a pad in your doctor's office or at the Jiffy Lube?

Wonder if Kinko's laughs whenever somebody brings in a print order for such pads...
Old 01-08-2006, 10:32 AM

"Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids", I hated that commercial.
A Family Guy episode did a funny parody of that commercial. I forgot which one.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:47 AM

I want to know which women out there are menstruating that blue watery fluid.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I want to know which women out there are menstruating that blue watery fluid.

I don't.