The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 08-21-2000, 03:36 PM

What do women think of men who don't wear any underwear?

Men of course love women who don't wear underwear (God bless 'em), but the opposite doesn't seem to be true.
Advertisements  
Old 08-21-2000, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by archmichael
Men of course love women who don't wear underwear (God bless 'em), but the opposite doesn't seem to be true.
Of course not! Have you ever seen the male genitia? The bits and pieces? One writer from my high school days described them as a turkey neck and gizzards (or words to that effect). Not exactly the most attractive thing to think of.
Old 08-21-2000, 05:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I heard none of the guys in IMHO wear underwear.

Let's go find out, and see what the ladies think.
Old 08-21-2000, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

A few years ago, I might have thought it was sexy in a vaguely rebellious way, but now I'd probably wonder if you weren't uncomfortable swinging around like that.

It was common knowledge (i.e. wildly speculative urban legend) in High School that if guys wore flannel trousers without underwear they would be affected by uncontrollable erections. I still have to giggle when I see men in flannel trousers.
Old 08-21-2000, 06:35 PM
BANNED

Well, Im a guy, I'd say you can clearly see their nuts.
Old 08-21-2000, 06:56 PM

Doesn't it hurt men not to wear underwear? I know it hurts me to go without a bra. <Which sucks by the way> I mean if I were a man I would worry about getting my penis stuck in a zipper, or getting excited and being way too obvious. Also in my opinion seeing random shots of male genitalia that I am not intimate with is just gross. The turkey neck analogy rings way true.
Old 08-21-2000, 07:24 PM

i'd rather a guy free-ball than wear boxer briefs. those are SO gay.

Quote:
Doesn't it hurt men not to wear underwear?
oh, noooooo. i'm not a guy, but all my friends are and half of them go commando; they say it's the freest feeling in the world. they like "feeling the breeze".
Old 08-21-2000, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amthystre
I were a man I would worry about getting my penis stuck in a zipper
(Geez. Am I gonna write this? Oh, wtf.)

Not only did I zip up real fast, I managed to get a little skin caught in the zipper. Talk about going from ho hum to holy shit! in a nanosecond.

What does one do? You certainly can't walk out of the bathroom back into a crowded bar and go, "Hey, a little help here?"

No, you muster all the nerve you can and rip the zipper back downwards. Then you walk into a stall, sit down, and
cradle poor Mr. Winky until the pain and the little, sparkly, floaty things go away.
Old 08-22-2000, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amthystre
Also in my opinion seeing random shots of male genitalia that I am not intimate with is just gross. The turkey neck analogy rings way true.
I don't get it. Where does the aesthetic thing even figure in? When a guy takes his pants off in your presence, don't the underpants usually follow?

I mean, there was this ...unbelivable well-hung guy I knew- and I know this because he use to go out in public in spandex legging. But I don't think underwear would have made much of a difference.
Old 08-22-2000, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rysdad

Not only did I zip up real fast, I managed to get a little skin caught in the zipper. Talk about going from ho hum to holy shit! in a nanosecond.

What does one do? You certainly can't walk out of the bathroom back into a crowded bar and go, "Hey, a little help here?"

No, you muster all the nerve you can and rip the zipper back downwards. Then you walk into a stall, sit down, and
cradle poor Mr. Winky until the pain and the little, sparkly, floaty things go away.
::crawls into corner and huddles in a little ball:: Shit, Rysdad, I'm not even a guy, and I'm shaking.

As for the OP:
Sleeping nude is one thing. I think that's sexy. But the thought of my mailman, the next door neighbor, the president of my university, and my professors all going through their daily routines sans boxers or briefs is just too gross for me to handle.
Old 08-22-2000, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

AudreyK said:
Quote:
Sleeping nude is one thing. I think that's sexy. But the thought of my mailman, the next door neighbor, the president of my university, and my professors all going through their daily routines sans boxers or briefs is just too gross for me to handle.
If you took a survey, you would no doubt be surprised by the number of guys who do not wear underwear.
Old 08-22-2000, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nevermore
i'm not a guy, but all my friends are and half of them go commando; they say it's the freest feeling in the world. they like "feeling the breeze".
Well, either your friends are yanking your chain a little, or you've got some very tough friends. I have tried this, once, but all of my pants/shorts have zippers. Hence, when I tried this (for about 10 seconds) it chaifed horribly. Very uncomfortable. Plus, there's always the catch-factor, already vividly described by Rysdad (thanks Rysdad). However, I guess if you only wore sweat pants or leather pants it would be fine (though I think you'd show through pretty well in leather pants).
Actually, I have never met anyone that has gone commando, except after crapping their pants. But that's another story.
Old 08-22-2000, 07:59 AM

This doesn't make much sense....but I can't wear underwear if I'm wearing shorts.

The chance of the "mouse sneaking out of the house" goes way up....but I just can't bring myself to wear them.

On a really hot day, I was wearing rugby shorts with no liner. One ball was hanging out on one side, the other ball, and penis, on the other side. My sister-in-law, got a wonderful view.

The thing is, she never said a thing about it. I'm pretty sure she was enjoying it.

I sleep nude, and if I had my druthers, I'd be naked ALL the time.
Old 08-22-2000, 09:06 AM

Not too many images are worse than sweaty boys a swingin'.
Old 08-22-2000, 09:31 AM

I don't wear underwear when I'm wearing a kilt, but I think that's traditional anyway...

Perhaps it makes more difference if you're circumcised? I was really surprised when I discovered (just a few weeks ago) that loads of men in America get circumcised; I'd always thought it was just Jewish guys...
Old 08-22-2000, 10:33 AM
BANNED

Diane, it's called male jiggle. You might remember that from the 60s.

You know, women went braless, that gave rise to female jiggle & then equality came about, so male jiggle. Which gets a lot of attention from the females locally.
Old 08-22-2000, 08:24 PM

Going without underwear depends on the type of trousers you are wearing. I agree with JimmyNipples on the shorts sans shorts. The underwear I opt for is boxer shorts, and no I am most certainly not gay. Do any guys really wear a thong?
Old 08-22-2000, 08:36 PM

The only guys who can get away with wearing a thong and still look hot are male strippers.

Jiggles or not, I just think it is a little gross to think ball sweat and bum smell are within just a fraction of an inch of fabric instead of contained in underwear. I mean, EEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Question - Do you guys who go without underwear wash your jeans after one wear or do you carry the crotch and butt smell over to another day?
Old 08-22-2000, 08:41 PM

Quote:
i'd rather a guy free-ball than wear boxer briefs. those are SO gay.
You HAVE to be kidding me. Boxer briefs are the most attractive type of underwear a man can wear.

Most men I know balk at the idea. "Don't gay men wear those things?" And yes, they are popular in the gay community, from what I've heard. But it's not like they MAKE YOU GAY. They make your package look bigger and your ass look tighter. This is attractive on any man, and since gay guys tend to go for other attractive gay guys, it's good for them to wear stuff like boxer briefs.

It's also good for any heterosexual man I'll see half-naked to be wearing them too. Mmmmmm. When my fiance switched from bikini briefs to boxer briefs, I was quite pleased. And once he found out how comfy they are and how good they make him look, so was he.
Old 08-22-2000, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisB
If you took a survey, you would no doubt be surprised by the number of guys who do not wear underwear.
I'm not sure I really want to know...
Old 08-22-2000, 09:29 PM

I definitely cannot go commando. Things flapping around, getting in between your legs, the zipper factor, a bad bend when you squat. Too many things can go wrong. My equipment always gets a cradle.
Old 08-22-2000, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

My favorite Latin expression: "Semper ubi sub ubi."

It literally translates to "Always where under where," which sounds way way too close to "Always wear underwear."
Old 08-22-2000, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

dylan_73 wrote:

Quote:
I was really surprised when I discovered (just a few weeks ago) that loads of men in America get circumcised; I'd always thought it was just Jewish guys...
Yep, circumcision was normal maternity-ward procedure just a couple of decades ago.

And if I say anything more on the subject, this thread'll get moved over into Great Debates.
Old 08-22-2000, 11:21 PM

I must admit, I never give a thought to whether or not a guy is wearing underwear. My naughty girlfriend and I have, on occasion, discussed whether a guy was "dressed left" or "dressed right". But even then, I didn't think about his underwear.
Old 08-22-2000, 11:45 PM

All my life I have worn briefs but I am often naked around the house because I live alone. Lately I have a guest and on ocassion I have slipped on a pair of old shorts with no underwear. I have discovered in hot weather it is *way* more comfortable to have the equipment hanging free and ventilated. I am going to try using boxer shorts in summer and will probably stick with briefs in winter.
Old 08-22-2000, 11:52 PM

I have one that wears boxers, one that wears thongs, and one that wears none.
I love my husband right out of the shower in only boxers! I have too much fun with my other guy when we go to clubs and I know what that he is wearing that little bitty thong with the snaps on the side that I will get to undo later, and I get into trouble in public places with my guy who goes bare. It's just too easy to slip right in at get at what you want.
Funny thing is I was just talking to my bare guy about zipping it up yesterday. He got out of the shower and I was shocked at how he wasn't even paying attention to what was where while zipping.

Old 08-23-2000, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diane
...sweaty boys a swingin'.
Anyone else think this would make a good potential song lyric for a revised "12 Days of Christmas?"

To any at all whom I have offended or alienated, I apologize. I desire the enmity of no one.
Old 08-23-2000, 11:02 AM

A man's thought on underwear.
Boxers are gay?
Is this an East Coast thing?
Most everyone I know wears boxers...oh wait...now I see...
Although really, I've never heard the boxers=gay thing. I always thought it just meant good taste. You know like a good haircut. Sure all( strike that, most) gay men have good haircuts. But so do heterosexual men who aren't slobs.

As for thongs, YECHHH. YECHHHH. YECHHH. There is something so wrong about those things.
And why would anyone wear briefs?
I wear boxers boxer/briefs or nothing at all.
As for wearing nothing, as long as the pants aren't denim it's fine.
Old 08-23-2000, 11:24 AM
BANNED

Hmmm. Well I wear briefs. I have gone a few times wearing no undies and just pants/shorts--and it is uncomfortable. I like support as opposed to just hanging out.

Btw IMHO thongs suck, they're uncomfortable, and it's hard to keep your "package" totally confined within the front flap (well it is for me).

Also, I never heard the boxers = gay thing before.
Old 08-23-2000, 11:28 AM

I don't get it. Where does the aesthetic thing even figure in? When a guy takes his pants off in your presence, don't the underpants usually follow?

I mean, there was this ...unbelivable well-hung guy I knew- and I know this because he use to go out in public in spandex legging. But I don't think underwear would have made much of a difference. [/B][/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind getting peaks at someone that I thought was hot and it's kinda sexy on my husband, but complete strangers who I find nasty. No way do I want to see Petey peaking out.
Old 08-23-2000, 03:16 PM

Little shameless self promotion...
Next Valentines Day, Look for a "Shoebox" card that deals with this very subject.
I wrote and drew the damn thing myself about 6 months ago.
(yeah, they take that long to make it to the stores)
I think it says "The Difference between Men and Women #707" on the top with a 2 panel cartoon beneath contrasting the whole underwear issue. I thought it was pretty funny, though I was rushed and ended up doing a pretty crappy drawing for it. Oh well.
Old 08-23-2000, 03:33 PM

Okay, I'm gonna jump right in and make my posting debut on this board regarding this crucial topic.

What's with all the EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWs? I really fail to understand this reaction. They don't look like turkey necks, they look like penises (penii?)! Why is that so disgusting? Personally, I like looking at them and find it a big turn-on. Geez, ladies, I feel sorry for any guy who tries to have sex with you. Poor man would probably be scarred for life!
Old 08-23-2000, 04:51 PM

I wear boxers about one day in ten(when wearing wool pants or jeans). In college i never did laundry until i absolutely had to and the limiting factor to my laundry was boxers. so eventually, i just started going without/freeballin/going commando. I usually wear khakis thats are pretty comfortable and have none of the chaffing problems you guys discussed. Now i just think its more comfortable to not wear any, and Diane i do laundry everytime i wear my pants now. Over the past 4 years i got caught in the zipper once(which was once more than i needed) but i was pretty drunk at the time so i blame it on the booze. My girlfriend is kind of indifferent.. if my pants are coming off it doesn't matter whats else is on under them..
Old 08-23-2000, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Although really, I've never heard the boxers=gay thing.
It's boxer briefs, not boxers. Boxer briefs are like boxers, only tighter.
Old 08-23-2000, 05:13 PM
BANNED

Personally, I have never noticed if any guys wore undies or not. Myself, I like to wear boxers under my regular pants simply because so many pants are made low cut and I don't want to show my navel.
Old 08-23-2000, 05:17 PM

Ok, thats it, I'm making a poll post about this. Entitled: "Which men do not wear underwear?"
Old 08-23-2000, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drain Bead

Those are gay too? What?!?! Next you'll be telling me Judy Garland film festivals are gay.
Old 08-23-2000, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dylan_73
I don't wear underwear when I'm wearing a kilt, but I think that's traditional anyway...
Q: "Is anything worn under the kilt?"

A: "Och, no, lassie, everything's in pairrfect working order."
Old 08-23-2000, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

[Kramer] I'm out there Jerry and I'm loving every minute of it [/Kramer]

I go commando quite a bit and really like it .
Old 08-23-2000, 06:31 PM

Q. What do you wear under the kilt?

A. Your wife's lipstick.
Old 08-23-2000, 11:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by Drain Bead
Quote:
Although really, I've never heard the boxers=gay thing.
Whoops, I wasn't reading carefully.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 AM

Always Commando

It took a little getting-used-to, but after I shaved my pubes a number of years ago, I gave up wearing underwear completely. I'd always worn briefs until then, but it became too irritating with shaved pubic hair. Shorts, jeans, dress slacks, I'm always commando, though I wouldn't recommend commando with dress slacks until you are accustomed to it. The erections that accompany commando-ness pass after time, and eventually it feels natural and comfortable. The few times I thought I ought to wear underwear, I couldn't wait to get out of them.

My wife likes that I am always "right there" as soon as she unzips my pants. And years ago, when I thought I had to wear underwear all the time, I dated two girls who actually thought it was silly. One of them actually called me "Mr. Underwear" as she rarely wore panties and I don't ever recall seeing her in a bra, even at work.

So the girl who said ewwwww might represent some women, but certainly not all. (Thank God)

I realize its sometimes necessary, but for the most part, I think it just represents the shame most people feel about their bodies. In reality, I think it takes a certain courage to go commando, and I commend all who display that courage.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Do zombies wear H-A-A-N-E-S?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Do zombies wear H-A-A-N-E-S?
Okay, somebody owes me some coffee!

On what possible basis could this fascinating zombie thread be resurrected?? Leo, it sounds like you are a proud commando...
Old 03-31-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Okay, somebody owes me some coffee!

On what possible basis could this fascinating zombie thread be resurrected?? Leo, it sounds like you are a proud commando...
Dunno. If it was a drive-by spammer I'm torn between wondering what they were shilling and feeling relieved that the link was removed
Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skott View Post
Of course not! Have you ever seen the male genitia? The bits and pieces? One writer from my high school days described them as a turkey neck and gizzards (or words to that effect). Not exactly the most attractive thing to think of.
You didn't happen to go to school with Sylvia Plath, did you?

Since many of the men I know have much smaller wardrobes than the women I know, re-wearing trousers quite a bit (unless they're doing laundry every single day, which I doubt, especially with the younger guys), it's a bit gross to think of them not at least changing the material closest to their butts and bits.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight View Post
butts and bits.
Butts and Bits! Part of a zombie's complete breakfast.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas63 View Post
It took a little getting-used-to
Apparently eleven years' worth. But I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:35 AM
BANNED

As a gay male, I can say I've never seen boxer briefs on anyone who wasn't gay Yes, there aren't people who aren't gay that wear them

Men are pigs, so without getting into it, I wouldn't want to be near a man without an extra layer of clothing as protection
Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight View Post
Since many of the men I know have much smaller wardrobes than the women I know, re-wearing trousers quite a bit (unless they're doing laundry every single day, which I doubt, especially with the younger guys), it's a bit gross to think of them not at least changing the material closest to their butts and bits.
I don't wear underwear, and if anything it encourages me to keep things extra clean 'down there' lest any smell starts a brewin'. I wouldn't want my enchanting musk to start a riot.