1.7 Metre-Long Squid Approaches 8 Year Old Girl. Offers Candy. Newslink

Well, no, the candy was not involved. But a certain ammount of danger was.

http://www.mercopress.com/Detalle.asp?NUM=7308

Damn thing was about the right size to kill the kid. Was she in danger?

The squid was obviously close enough for her to see/touch…I think if it intended to kill the girl, it would have pulled her under before she could scream. Those things are fast.
Squids have been shown to be very intelligent…it may have just been checking her out, or it could have just been hunting for fish and not noticed her at all. Or, at a shallow depth like that, it may have been dying. Could be all sorts of explanations.

Are there any records of a large squid having attacked/killed a human?

Dude, where do you come up with these stories!!! :smiley:

Of course she was in danger! Anyone who has spent any time in the Pacific Northwest can tell you that mollusks are plotting to take over the world. Most likely the thing was a spy sent to retrieve a specimen for the laboratories of the cephalopod empire which bides its time in the frigid depths. I expect we shall hear about more of these kinds of attacks with less fortunate results.

I mean…unless there was a shaved and greased goat nearby at the time of the ‘attack.’ In which case, “Welcome!” to our newest member, I for one welcome our new cephalopod overlords, etc.

Oh, that poor child!

Maybe it’s because I’ve got a sort of icthyphobia thing*, but this immediately made the needle on my SquickOMeter zing up to 10.

*Yes, fish. Shaddup.

Cites-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2661691.stm

http://diver.net/seahunt/fend/f_scottc.htm

Also, Google for Alex Kirstich

**Inigo, **you don’t know how right you are! They are amongst us and are duping the unwary into strengthening their handhold (uh, tenticlehold) on land! I give you the story of thePacific Northwest Tree Octopus!

That’s kinda scary.

From the second link:

“Anti-squid armor suit”

I want one. Just because it sounds cool.

:smiley: Good golly!

DON’T, whatever you do, go see the “Deep Sea-3D” imax film! I’m not normally squicked out by fish, but, damn!, did they look close!

You know these things are nasty. You’ve really got to watch out for them. Despite a lifetime commitment to environmentalism, I am glad that someday we will only see the PNTOs in zoo.
I hear they are in league with Bigfoot.

Jim >I know people who believed that the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus really existed <

Sometimes at night, I can still hear the screams…

Step away from the girl’s dorm window, Nemo, and put you clothes back on.

You know, the picture at the top of the page on this link really screams out for a caption… maybe something like…

“Holy crap. I really had too much to drink last night…”

What does it mean, “squick”?

Squick is the sound of removing someone’s glass eye and using the socket for sexual gratification… or the reaction most people have when hearing that description. Probably the latter in this case.

Thanks for sharing.

Holy shit. I wonder if we have any giant squid in Lake Michigan.

Cause that would be AWESOME.

You know, Chile is much closer to R’lyeh… hmmm…

Although there are some recorded attacks by squid, they’re pretty rare. Researchers tend to believe the author of your second cite/site is a bit alarmist. Some more detail on that.

Ack, is it the long dreaded rising of the old ones? Are these his Minions?
You know who I mean.