Who'da thunk there were that many drugs....

I have to tell ya’ll, I’ve never been so scared in my life. Two weeks ago I went to a club with a bunch of people from work and their spouses to dance and get to know a few more people. We had all been out dancing and I left my drink set on our table (I know now, never EVER do that). But when I awoke the next morning it appeared as though my ankle was run over by a mack truck, least it felt that way. I went to the local doc in the box only to discover that I had twisted my ankle.

Now for all I knew, I hardly even drank and felt like I was walking around in a bowl of jello, unable to eat or concentrate. I asked the doctor to figure out what was wrong with me and he did blood tests, come to find out I was drugged with GHB!!! :eek: One of the scary things for me is that when I mentioned it to my counselor she was not surprised. She told me she gets 30 to 40 calls a month from people that were drugged and are too embarrassed to do anything about it. She told me that the kids at one high school she counsels at were busted slipping it into each others drinks at school!!

Cut to today at lunchtime:

I was sitting outside reading my book minding my own business when I started listening to the people beside me talking. Turns out that they were my big boss and his protege’. They had found 10 rocks of crack right outside our office doors!! :eek:

Scary stuff ~I’m a small town country girl and never really knew the extent of the drugs out there.

Hah, you’re so naive. In high school I had raver friends, and they would often come in on monday still high from the weekend before. I witnessed plenty of drug deals, some in plain hearing of the teacher. I’m from the ghetto, yo!

Okay, not really, but my school was on the rough side of town. There was a girl in one of my classes who almost got sliced in the eyeball by a broken mirror during a fight. The other girl in question cut all the tendons in one hand. The lesson? Don’t fight with mirrors.

Yep, there really is no such thing a small town innocence these days.

I got drugged at a club once, and it was the most terrifying thing I’ve experienced. Discussions with more drug-savvy friends later revealed that it was most likely ketamine (Special K), but I never had a test done. I just remember being really bewhildered at how I could feel “so drunk” when I had only had two drinks. My vision got all funny and layered, and I just couldn’t think straight. Luckilly, I was with three very good friends who literally chased away two guys who must have been the ones who dosed me, so I didn’t come to any further harm. But wow, was that an awful night.

I hope you’re OK - did they do a rape exam? Most of the time, these things are done to get girls compliant enough to sexually assault. If there wasn’t someone you trust with your life with you the whole night, get an STD and pregnancy test right away.

It really does blow my mind (since I have a 14 year old daughter) just how vulnerable we are to this crap ya know? I’ve gone through life giving people the benefit of the doubt, very trusting but moving here and seeing this has really opened my eyes.

It really does blow my mind (since I have a 14 year old daughter) just how vulnerable we are to this crap ya know? I’ve gone through life giving people the benefit of the doubt, very trusting but moving here and seeing this has really opened my eyes.

I don’t think they’ll be able to do anything such as a rape test only because it’s been several weeks unfortunately.

I just kinda feel like since I moved here NOTHING has gone right in my life, everything has turned to shit and now all this crap too!

That’s horrible and am I to understand that it’s fairly commonplace?

I grew up in the time brfore raves and date rape drugs. I’m likely still very naive about just how prevalent they are. Is their legislation being drafted to address this problem? Is anyone taking it seriously?

Off to do a little freaked out research

Legislation? What are you going to legislate? It’s not like these are legal drugs to possess without a prescription to begin with, nor is drugging someone legal.

But yes, there is a lot of legislation being done, most of it aimed at club owners. I believe it’s federal law now that if a bar, club, warehouse or other property owner has reason to believe it’s likely that some people in attendance might have illegal drugs, their (the owner’s) property can be seized and s/he will serve jail time. It’s sort of ridiculous, really. On the one hand, when isn’t at least one person at any bar going to have something illegal on them, and on the other, why should it be up to the bar owner to do the policing?

But it has served to push the raves further underground, which has it’s own hazards - it’s a lot harder to get help when no one knows where you are and all those around you are so freaked out about getting busted they won’t help you.

I think the wiser thing would be to mandate a bittering agent be put into the most common date rape drugs, and perhaps a glows-under-blacklight chemical so that a person can tell when their drink has been spiked. I’ve ofen wondered if sippy cups (like for toddlers) with lids and one way valves might not be safer, as well. You’d have to go to some lengths to get one out of a girl’s hand and wrestle the lid off to get anything inside it.

(It should also be noted that my experience didn’t happen at a rave, but a plain ol’ nightclub, one of the best known in Chicago.)

Before raves, perhaps, but no one here grew up in a time before alcohol. If alcohol doesn’t qualify as a date-rape drug, I don’t know what else would (although I’ll agree that it’s somewhat harder to get someone drunk without their knowledge).

I just found out my cousin is a known drug dealer. He was in the news when he was stabbed in a Burger King parking lot. And now his mom kicked him out, his dad (my dad’s first cousin)'s wife won’t let him live at their place, so he and his dad are staying at a small trailer my cousin has.

Ugh.

Not that much, though. A little Everclear and jello and you can get a whole lot more alcohol in you than you notice. I believe that was the idea behind a Long Island Iced Tea, as well.

I’m confused, though. I thought GHB was like ecstasy. I didn’t think it was an amnesiac.

From what I understand, GHB is like alcohol, only moreso.

I was at a rave-ish thing (it had security at it, but wasn’t a regular club either) once with a bar downstairs and the dance floor upstairs. A guy (obviously on something) started to chat me up and offered to buy me a drink. I was 18, he was a stranger, and who wants to drink alcohol at a rave anyway? I said no. He went downstairs and came back up with a martini (I think) for me. I said no, he insisted, and I said no again. He huffed for a while, then drank it himself.

A few minutes later I went into the lobby to cool off, and out come 2 security guards with Mr Martini between them. You could see in his eyes that he was aware, but I don’t think he could move at all. The guards took him outside and sat him on the curb, where he kind of slumped over. I watched him for about 10 minutes then went back inside to dance.

I don’t know what happened to him because he was gone when I came out. Most of me hopes that a friend took him home, but there is a small, evil part of me that hopes that he was shown a good time by some friendly neighborhood rapist. At least as good as the one he was planning on showing me.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I had just finished a week’s training course for a new job, and went out afterwards for a couple of drinks with the other people from the course. The last thing I remember was one of the guys buying me a second glass of wine, then nothing until I woke up in my own bed at about 3am. I felt shaken up and tearful the moment I woke up, but didn’t know why. I also had no idea how I’d gotten home. On getting up, I discovered that my thighs, stomach and chest were covered in bruises and stratches.

I spoke to some of the people I’d been out with, and they said I’d seemed pretty drunk - they’d been laughing about how I couldn’t take my drink - but not so bad that they’d been overly concerned when I left the pub at about 7pm to walk home. It had still been light, and I didn’t live far, after all.

I still don’t know what happened, or how, and I never reported it. I know I should have done, but I couldn’t face it, especially as I didn’t remember anything.

Rule #1: Buy your own drinks and don’t leave your drink unattended. Bring it with you to the ladies room. Many dosings happen when people just step away for a minute.

Rule #2: If you feel you’ve been drugged (getting way too drunk after only one or two drinks), say something to the bartender. They may be looking for someone who’s been doing this to women. They need to know who you were talking to.

I’m reasonably sure this happened to me once, and it’s pretty scary to suddenly come to in a place you have no idea how you got there.

No, not at all. They’re practically opposites in their mechanisms of action and their effects.

GHB is a potent sedative/hypnotic and general CNS depressant. The poster who called it “like alcohol, only more so” isn’t too far off the mark.

Ecstasy (MDMA) is a synthetic compound related both to the amphetamines and the seritoninergic hallucinogens (LSD, mescaline, etc.). Its effects are quite distinct from both speed and psychedelics, but you could definitely say it’s an “up” drug, whereas GHB is a “down” drug.

Thank you! This thread expresses exactly what I was trying to say in my Pit thread. I’m not going to link it or discuss it any further, either here or there, but you folks have proven how easy it is for any average person to be drugged in a party venue and that it does really happen, at reputable places or not.

Jennyrosity, I’m sorry that happened to you. Even though you don’t know for sure what happened, I hope you have gotten yourself tested for AIDS and other STD’s. I know it was a few years ago but if you haven’t, you really still should. (((((Hugs)))))

Unless the OP was later gunned down by a psychopath, it doesn’t really do much of anything to prove the point you were trying to make in your pit thread.

Yeah, I got tested a couple of years later, and thankfully I’m clear. I appreciate you thinking of me though.

Before raves, perhaps, but the effects of GHB aren’t all that different from Benzodiazepenes (e.g. Valium, Xanax), Quaaludes, or barbiturates when mixed with alcohol.

What? can you expound on this? Where do you work that “right outside this office door” is a good place to store one’s crack?

:confused: