Legal age to rent a car in IL?

My car is being repaired and in an effort to make things right due to an error on their end, the maintenace shop offered a rental car at a discount rate in Illinois.

I’m 22 years old but I have the feeling that it wouldn’t be legal for me to rent this car. What is the legal age to rent in IL? I’ve always heard 25.
Please cite as well so if I am right, I can provide proof… if I’m wrong, then that’s a good thing.

I’ve never heard of a legal age limit on car rentals (i.e., different from legal age to enter contracts in general). Rental car companies have policies specifying a minimum age, usually 25, but that’s not the same as a legal restriction.

Legal yes, affordable, maybe not. Most rental companies jack up the rates for renters/drivers under the age of 25, and some will refuse to rent to under 25 entirely.

Legally you can rent a car anywhere, I’m unaware of any law on the subject besides contract law in general. (IANAL so take this as an amateur opinion). As to what companies will rent to you, being under 25, you’re more limited by their rules. I would give enterprise a try, last I knew they would rent to people down to age 21 although extra fees may apply. If the rental belongs to the shop and they’re offering it to you, I see no barrier to you taking it.

I will just chime in and say that I am pretty sure that it is legal for anyone 18 and over to rent a car in most states. Getting someone to rent to a young driver is another matter.

The fact that the shop will rent you one seems like an ideal solution to me.

I’ve never been to your state, but I have rented a car when I was under 25 in a few other states. Enterprise does it, but there are additional fees and insurance charges. Other companies will refuse to do it. I do not think there is any law against it.

I went to school in IL (early 90s) and I used to rent cars when I was under 25 - you might have to be 21 to rent but not 25.

As someone else guessed though, you may face a higher rate (or a surcharge) until you are 25. Do a little comparison shopping with different rental companies.