I hereby propose that May 12 is Dopo De Mayo Day- The Straight Dope Anniversary.

On May 12, 1986, Ballantine Books published The Straight Dope. Although the book’s original copyright date is 1984, many of us found a path to The Perfect Master through this Ballantine paperback trade edition.

We’re coming up fast on the 20th anniversary. As a Doper and '99er to boot, I hereby and forthwith, and with extreme prejudice amongst all corpus delecti, do declare May the 12th 2006 to be

DOPO DE MAYO DAY.

Huzzah, Huzzah. To commemorate this day, I personally shall fly to Detroit and read my careworn copy of The Straight Dope: A Compendium Of Human Knowledge on the flight.

I fervently suggest we contact a caterer and hall. These things require planning !!!

Never one to miss a chance to suck up, I’m also going to be sending a lovely and tasteful gift to The Perfect Master himself. I understand that he’s upped the honorarium from twenties to fifties. Perhaps if he’d deign to drop in here to help celebrate, he could guide us in the gift purchasing area.

:smiley:

Cartooniverse

Well then, I guess you and I will be in seperate sects, like Sunnis and Shi’ites, or Protestants and Catholics. Not only was the book actually first published in November of 1984 by the Chicago Review Press (source: Amazon.com), this date is not as important as the date Cecil first started writing his columns…which has already passed. Damn. So from 2007 onward, I hereby declare February 2nd CECIL ADAMS DAY!!! in honor of the publication of the very first Straight Dope column on February 2, 1973.

Or we could just have two holidays. Fine with me.

Hm. May 12, 1986 is the day after I was born. Now you can all feel old.

-cough- Visigoth. -cough-

:stuck_out_tongue:

Lamest. Threadspotting. Ever.

Detroit?

Shhh. Let him find out when he gets there.

I prefer the Feb. 2 day as the Doper International Holiday, as it’s the actual anniversary of Cecil’s column.

Actually, I’ve been celebrating that date for years. Usually with a cake and a small gathering of family and friends, oftentimes with much drinking and celebration. Plus, it really is a nice day to have a party, with it falling in the middle of winter, during one of the coldest and darkest months.

Actually, my awareness that Feb. 2 was a special day began on the second anniversary of Cecil’s column. By the fourth anniversary, I knew that this truly was a day to be celebrated.

February 2 definitely should be declared a Doper holiday.

Happy, born 02-02-1975

I don’t care when we do it, as long as I get beer.
And a hat of some kind.

What, no pie?

Pie, hats, The Goat, and beer.

Just your normal party essentials.

Pie? With beer? Talk about your potentially violent schisms…

February 2? Isn’t that Groundhog Day? Do you really want to try to compete with that?

What kind of pie?

One of them there meat pies the Brits keep mentioning might go well with beer.
I somehow read the title as containing the word “Depo” and was hoping birth control wasn’t mandatory. :wink:

Oddly enough, it does :stuck_out_tongue: That date was also my first birthday.

What? If not for Threadspotting I’d have never known!

Band of Dopers

This day is call’d Dopo De Mayo Day
He that posts this day, and first checks preview,
Will vanity search when this day is nam’d,
And rouse him at the name of Cecil.
He that shall post this day, and is not banned,
Will yearly on his Join Date bump this thread¹,
And say, These posts I made on Dopo Day.
Old threads get locked; yet all shall reach Page 2,
But he’ll remember with aid of hamsters
What posts he made that day: then shall our names
Familiar on the boards as household words,-
Cecil the Master, Zotti and Signorino,
Dex and Tuba, Gaudere and Bodini,-
Be by the Teeming Millions remembered.
This board shall the good man read and cite
And Dopo de Mayo shall ne’er go by,
From this day to the ending of the web,
But we in it shall be archived,-
We few, we happy few, we band of Dopers;
For he to-day that fights ignorance with me
Shall be my brother, be he ne’er so pitted
This day shall renew his subscription:
And gentlemen at Fathom² now off-line
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap while any speaks
That posted with us upon Dopo De Mayo Day day.

¹Don’t do this.
²Random other message board; not intending to pick on Fathom in particular, if this is an issue.

Someone mention steak-and-kidney pie? Yum! :slight_smile:

And beautiful women. There have to be beautiful women.

…and pie.

*tsk, tsk.

You don’t get it do you?

ALL Doper wimmen are beautiful wimmen.

—fuzzily lifts head from granite pillow—

Hmmph. Who the hell told me to go to Detroit to celebrate Dopo De Mayo ??? And WHY am I surrounded by a perfect circle of gleaming black 1966 Mustang’s ?

Indeed, all Doper wimmen are beautiful wimmen. To celebrate Dopo De Mayo in an appropriately respectful manner towards the aforementioned Doper Wimmen Contingent, I am going to go and hear the most astonishing group of female singers- the Detroit Women- sing tonight at Fishbone’s, in Detroit.

See? I knew there was a reason I came here for Dopo De Mayo.

Cartooniverse