Strange phenomena at home last night (I mean REALLY strange)

Let me preface this with a couple important disclaimers: I have both feet planted firmly in reality; I was not drinking (or anything else); and (finally) this isn’t a joke thread. I’m not making any bizarre claims here, just relating a strange and rather disturbing experience. I’m not going to relate much backstory or foreshadowing, I’ll just present the relavent facts as I perceived them, and a couple necessary details accompanying same.

It was late, after midnight. The missus and I had been arguing, and she was downstairs cooling off on the couch. I rolled over to go to sleep. It’s important to note that it takes me a long time to fall asleep at night - I have a restless mind and don’t just nod off. It’s not uncommon for it to take a couple hours for me to fall asleep. Anyways, after 10 minutes or so I hear the TV go on. You know the sound when a TV goes on in another room of a quiet house - you recognize voices but can’t really make out what they’re saying… but the sound wasn’t coming from downstairs - it was coming from the bathroom - and it wasn’t the TV; as this realization sunk in, the sound sort of started to sound more like running water, like someone peeing. Listen: I know someone peeing doesn’t sound like a TV in a distant room. The sound sort of changed as my awareness of it peaked. I actually got up and looked into the bathroom because I thought my wife had come back upstairs without me hearing her, or maybe my daughter had awoken and needed to go (she’s never done so before, but anything’s possible). Then the sound stopped, and for the next hour or so the toilet kept making leaking noises, but it sounded like run-of-the-mill tank sounds. So I’ve got a new leak. No biggie, I think. I’ll fix it this weekend.

An hour or so later…
My wife comes back upstairs. She’s cooled down, and wants to talk a bit. She’s upset because she’d had a fight with an old friend, and thinks the friendship might be over. Our little girl had been giving her a hard time all day, and my wife was tired, emotionally exhausted, and very upset all evening. She lamented some relationship conflicts she’s got, that a lot of close friends have moved far away, and most of all that there have been a few deaths in her immediate family she’s still not over, and her Dad’s got cancer and is probably dying. Basically, she feels like everyone she loves either doesn’t love her or dies. She feels unloved. She’s pretty sad (I’ll help her get through it). We make up, spoon up, and then we hear it

We all love you.

Clear as day. She thought I said it. I thought she said it. It was like a theatrical whisper - perfectly audible and distinguishable. But neither of us said it. At this point, we were both a bit shaken up - it had been a pretty emotional evening, it was late (1:30 am by now), we were both very tired, but nothing explains this. My daughter talks in her sleep, but her diction isn’t as clear as what my wife and I both heard, she was fast asleep, it just plain wasn’t her voice, and what we heard was sounded like it was right there in the bed with us. I mean, this didn’t sound like it came from the next room. It sounded like my wife said it. But she didn’t. And she thought I said it. But I didn’t.

I know these seem like incongruous events, and I guess they are, but the TV (morphing into) Voices (morphing into) water running (morphing into) someone peeing sound was pretty goddamned bizarre on it’s own merits, even though it looks pretty harmless with the sun shining on it. But the other thing. The second thing?

: shaking head :

we do.

Whoa. I totally didn’t type that.

< snerk > : Takes hit of huge dube :

:smiley:

I have no advice for you, except to sell any random object that was in your home last night on eBay, and attach that story to it. “Haunted water glass” or whatever. Guaranteed to seel for a couple hundred bucks, at least.

That’s extra creepy though. I’ve heard things like that before, or thought I heard them, but I didn’t have anyone there with me to verify.

Ummm…that’s just creepy. :::::Shudder::::: Very creepy.
Chao

-Non-believer in ghosts and other paranormal stuff.-

Eerie. So is your toilet still making leaking noises today?

I love ghost stories. My sister lived with one of her boyfriends that had had a poltergeist around him all of his life, and she had some interesting stories.

Before the “We all love you” I wanted relate an observation that may help. Every night when I lay on my side in bed I will hear sounds as though they are coming from outside, like the backyard or the neighbors, or sounds from many rooms away. I sit up to identify them and they are gone.

Sometimes they are the sounds of a party and I can’t make out the conversations. Many times they are music - jazz, big band, rock, but nothing I can identify.

I’ve since realized that when one ear is pressed into my pillow and the other is open to the air that my mind is trying to integrate two wildly disparate sources of sounds into something human. Now I just relax and hope for some good music :cool:

Another revelation happened while sitting on the potty (don’t they all happen there?). I heard pouring water. After a long search I finally found that I was hearing one of those little desktop water fountains. However the fountain was on the fireplace and the potty was up the stairs, turn left, down the hall, turn right and at the end of the long bathroom. The acoustics were just perfect.

So, I can’t explain both of you clearing hearing “We all love you” … except maybe it’s you or your wife’s other personalities surfacing again. :smiley:

Yeah, the whole leaking toilet thing was a bit weird, and on it’s own I’d have written it off as a bit of bad sausage or an over-active imagination. Weird, yes. But the voice has got the missus and I a bit, uh… shaken.

When I’m down in our basement and the water-softener is running, the quiet hiss of the water running through it sounds like a women screaming her lungs out outside of my house.
The first time I heard it I freaked and ran outside looking for whomever was screaming bloody murder.

… but not stirred.

Who cares about ghosts? I want to know how you had an argument with the wife and got HER to go sleep on the couch.

We had a poltergeist when we lived in DC. Same kind of stuff - voices, footsteps, etc. My wife & I both heard them. We even had a name for her - Emily.

My brother tells the story of he & his wife being awakened at 3AM by the sound of a girl screaming in the next room. At least, it sounded like a girl screaming. He said it went on for ~30 seconds, and then stopped, never to be heard again. Spooky as hell, if you ask me.

I’ve done the misinterpreting noises while in bed. One time I was half asleep and heard heavy breathing in the same room as me. The shock woke me fully and the sound resolved itself into a seagull crying in the distance.

The voice though: your OP sent shivers down my spine.

I experienced something like it once, but I was the only one who heard it, and though it seemed to make sense at the time, it was probably just hallucination + coincidence. I had been on a “non-date” date with a friend who I actually had a crush on. We got on the bus to go home, and though the top deck was completely empty, I sat next to her, “friendly” like, but actually secretly appreciating the closeness. After about five minutes, though she never spoke, I heard her voice, clear as day, say “I wish he’d go and sit in another seat.” Freaked, I got up and moved to another seat, and she smiled and said “thanks I was feeling a bit crowded”. But as I say, only I heard it, so it’s explicable in other ways, and not really the same thing as two of you hearing it.

Was it dark? Is there the remotest possibility your wife could have said it unconsciously?

We all love you.” = Creepy.

…and it’s time for you to join us.” = Call the realtor, after you get to the motel you’ll be staying in for awhile.

It’s not that bad if you have nice, loving Casper the Friendly Ghost style hauntings going on in your house. At least it’s not the blood pouring down the walls “GET OUT” Amityville style thing.

I’ve experienced things similar to what you describe in the bus tale, as well as a few other “super-conscious” moments of connectedness (the story of how I named my son, for instance, but’s that’s another thread entirely), but nothing before quite like this. Actually, nothing even remotely like this. This was completely outside the realm of anything I’ve ever experienced.

And yes, it was dark. It was several hours after night-night time.

You were half asleep, and emotional. She was VERY emotional, and I’m guessing half-asleep or very tired as well, given the time of the day. A tired and emotional brain does weird things.

I can’t help but picture this stressed-out, cigarette-smoking, raggedy clothes-wearing ghost taking a leak in your toilet and saying to himself, “Christ come on… the sooner I get this shit over with the sooner I can head back. ‘We all love you, we all love you’… don’t screw this up, Murray. God almighty, I only had three beers, why am I still pissing?”

Whoa! Truly weird!