Can you hear this sound? A poll/test.

This is just something I saw today that’s got me scratching my head. Let’s do a test if you’ve got the time!

Download that file, put on some earphones or headphones and play it. You might want to start it at medium volume first in case it “works”.

You will hear just the faint noise of people talking, as if you were at a shopping mall or storefront. Close your eyes and listen closely. Do you hear anything unusual? If not, then keep turning the sound up. Anything?

Then answer these questions in this thread:

1. Do you hear it?
  2. How old are you?

Heard people talking, laughter, a clanking noise, but no mosquito or much else.

1. Is it an extremely high-pitched pulse that happens about twice per second? If so, then yes, but it’s got to be at the outer edge of my range; if not, then no.
  2. 34

I heard a very high-pitched repeated pulse of sound. The pulses seemed to coincide with the Quicktime progress indicator as the file played.

I’m 31.

What do I win?

I heard no high-pitched whines. But then it is extremely-possible that my el-cheapo headphones would not reproduce them.

(42)

Now, me.

1. Yes, a repeated pulsing sound.
  2. 22

I’m waiting for this to get really interesting. Where are all the teens?

Hmm. I heard a very low rumbling noise that seemed to have a ripple in it right before the woman (or whatever) first laughs that’s kind of like someone twangs the rubber band…and the rumbling keeps going.

I just have my speakers on. I don’t have any headphones right now.

Man, that high pitch hurts my ears!

38 in two weeks.

I found some headphones. Nothing unusual, I guess.

I was waiting for a reply like this. Why doesn’t it hurt my 22-year-old ears? I hear it but not enough to bother me. I could sleep through it. My eardrums are probably shot.

Good god, yes! It sounds like the electrical wires outside. High pitched and whiny. Ouch. If we were supposed to be hearing something else, I can barely concentrate with that sound. Electric, icy blue. Grating.
28 in exactly two weeks.

I can hear the high-pitched ‘pulse’ noise, and I’m 19. And it’s really annoying. :smack:

Nothing.

All I hear is a sexually promiscuous daughter who was abandoned by her father leaving a newly opened consignment shop with her previously estranged yet openly conscientious mother giggling at a recently rewarded yet slightly overweight construction worker’s exposed ass-crack is as he taps a pair of angle iron pieces into place

Oh, and I’ll be thirty one tomorrow May 25th

1. I hear the pulsing noise
    2)33

Is this that noise that is being proposed outside of shops to keep kids from hanging out at the stores?

I heard a fairly consistent high pitched noise. I think it may have pulsed slightly, but i could ear it the whole time. It wasn’t high enough to bother me at all.

oh, and I’m 19.

I hear the repeated pulse if I listen for it, but I could tune it out pretty easily.

I’m 30.

Very irritating noise

Correct!

1. The noise made it hard to figure out what was going on in the background. If I had to listen to it for an extended period of time I might have to kill someone.

2. 29