Greatest Comic Genius of the Twentieth Century

So the jacket praise of Groucho - the Life and Times of Julius Henry Marx calls Groucho “perhaps the greatest comic genius of the twentieth century.”

Now, I like Groucho as much as the next guy (and I like the next guy just fine, even if he talks trash about Groucho), but greatest comic genius of the twentieth century? No way.

So who is, in your estimation, and why?

I have two contenders -

Charlie Chaplin, who made it look easy, communicated perfectly without sound, and could make anything funny without forsaking the larger story he was telling, and

Charles Schulz, who could make truly depressing subjects so beguilingly gentle that you felt no guilt laughing at kids who were just out-and-out mean to each other. He made the subversive aspects of Peanuts so casual that most people weren’t even aware of them.

Now who are your nominees?

Much as I love Groucho, I would have to go with Chaplin. As Mack Sennett said, “Oh, well, he’s just the greatest artist who ever lived.”

Buster Keaton would be up there, as would Woody Allen.

For comics, it’s George Herriman and Walt Kelly.

Somewhere on the list must be Jack Benny.

and:
Bob Hope
Fred Allen
P. G. Wodehouse

My friend Mike cracks me up all the time, can I mention him?

Lenny Bruce changed American comedy forever.
And was persecuted for it.
However, he remains a genius.

Bill Cosby should be considered, too.

Chaplin? Feh. His early films were "hit a cop with a brick"and his later films were “sad clown with tear running down cheek.” I’ve never understood why he’s so revered.

I’m gonna say the Greatest Comic Genius of the Twentieth Century has to be funny, so… Peanuts?? Nah. I’d be happy to go with Groucho, but of course, the strike against him would be that he didn’t write most of his most famous lines.

Chuck Jones is worth considering.

Duck Season! Rabbit Season!

I was going to nominate Reed Richards, but I see that that’s not what you’re talking about.

Well, there’s Alan Moore, who arguably…

…oh.

In that case, I’ll also nominate P.G. Wodehouse.

I am not big on Chaplin, I like Groucho better.
I would lean toward someone like George Carlin who has remained funny for such a long period of his career. I lean towards Mel Brooks for writer however.
The man wrote for Sid Caesar on three shows
“Sid Caesar Invites You” (1958/II) TV Series
“Caesar’s Hour” (1954) TV Series (writer)
“Your Show of Shows” (1950) TV Series
… aka Sid Caesar’s Show of Shows (UK: rerun title)
Created Get Smart, his first movie was The Producers (1968) and then he went on to make
Young Frankenstein (1974), Blazing Saddles (1974), High Anxiety (1977), Silent Movie (1976), Spaceballs (1987), History of the World: Part I (1981) and then conquered Broadway with The Producers.
He also had a hit comedy album with the 2000 Year old man with Carl Reiner.

He had bombs and so-so movies but his highs are pretty amazing.

As a side note: He won a Writing Oscar is 69 for “The Producers”
He won 3 Emmy Awards for acting and 1 daytime Emmy for the children’s show Jakers.
He won a Grammy in 2002
The Producers won a record setting 12 Tony Awards including
Musical Book: Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan, The Producers
Original Score: Mel Brooks, The Producers

Mel is one of a very small number of performers/writers to win in all four major Awards.

Jim

I posted this in the Woody Allen Appreciation Thread, so I’ll stick to my opinion.

First of all, “hit a cop with a brick” is funny. Especially if it’s the face. And Chaplin could make hitting a cop with a brick funnier than anyone else - he made it sing.

Second of all, I hardly think Modern Times, The Great Dictator, or The Circus is the sad clown. I can see your point with The Gold Rush and City Lights, even if I disagree (he gets the chick and the cash in the end).

Keaton’s films were “look at the nebbish.” Arubuckle’s were “look at the fat guy.”

I can only assume you’re confusing the comic strip with the TV specials, movies, Hallmark cards, insurance commercials, Dolly Madison commercials and everything else Schulz dropped his pants for. Try reading the actual strip. It’s funny!

Great argument for Woody but as to “That’s an unparalleled career. I can think of no other artist who rose to the top in so many facets of show business and remained excellent for so long.” The guy I mentioned in the post above yours is just as diverse in talents. Replacing award winning music for writing for the New Yorker and beloved TV actor, writer, creator and voice actor to add an extra medium.

Jim

Chaplin - Meh.

Keaton - Maybe

Groucho - Stronger maybe.

Jones - Yes.

Brooks - Yes.

I think we have to limit this by medium if we are going to argue our choices effectively.

Oh, and Schulz- No.

Steve Allen.

A bit of a pioneer, an intellectual, and damn funny.

I love Chuck Jones, too. I think he’s made the greatest cartoons of the 20th century.

but if the writing in his cartoons that really gets you (“pronoun trouble!”), I have to mention that the guy who came up with all those great gags was the grossly underappreciated Michael Maltese.

W. C. Fields

Ernie Kovacs

Burns and Allen

Absolutely not. Keaton’s characters are not nebbishes.

from here.

Keaton’s characters are never whiners, nor do they lack self-confidence. Indeed, his characters can only be described as having indominatable will. They inevitably overcome everything a hostile and chaotic world throws at them. Further, Keaton was a superb athlete and his fims showcase that. Schlumpy? Not robust? I don’t think so.

Way to support your contentions!