A relative of mine is being held captive by terrorists.

So, one of my relatives, not a close one, but a member of my extended family, has been captured by Palestinian terrorists.

This is hardly mundane, and definitely not pointless, but I’m not really sure where else to post this. I’m kind of numb right now, and trying to remember if Gilad was one of the people who attended the celebration when I became Bar Mitzvah atop Masada.

This is just insane, and I’m not even really sure what to say, except that I need to say something. I’m not sure if I feel like weeping or screaming or putting my fist through a wall… maybe a bit of all three. And Hamas is still refusing to recognize the state of Israel. Fucking meshugena world.

For an agnostic atheist, I find myself in the position of praying for the safe return of a family member. It has been reported in Israeli media that he is wounded. He may be dying. He may be executed, or torn to pieces like other Israeli soldiers who’ve been captured. I feel ill.

For those of you out there who feel like praying, say a prayer for the safe return of Gilad Shalit.

Well, for what it’s worth, Israel is doing all they can to get him back. Here’s hoping they suceed.

Damn, Finn. That’s just awful. I’ll be thinking about you as this story unfolds. My sympathy and support to your family.

Your family is in our thoughts.

I’ll bet “numb” doesn’t even begin to describe it. Good luck! And keep us updated.

I’m so sorry. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Very sorry to hear it.

Hope he makes it home safely.

You have my word.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. What a horrible situation.

How is it that you’re an “agnostic atheist”? (and what does that have to do with his safe return?)

Thanks everybody for your kind words. I’m still a bit out of it, and probably drank a bit more than I should’ve this evening. I’m going to try to get phone numbers from my father and/or see what the rest of my family has found out. Thank you everybody who’s keeping Gilad in your thoughts.

Wow, that’s pretty fucked up. Here’s to hoping nothing bad is happening.

Yeah, that’s the important issue in this thread. :rolleyes:

May whatever gods there be, be with him.

our thoughts are with you and your family. This is awful.

The title of your post is misleading. It says in the article that he was “abducted by Palestinian militants”, not “terrorists”. He was performing the duties of a soldier, not a civilian, so it cannot be a terrorist activity.

Anyway, I hope the Palestinian government is able to secure his safe release, before this escalates into conflict.

Hoping your family receives good news very soon

Good luck to you & yours. :frowning:

You and your family will be in my thoughts, Finn. I hope he comes back happy and well.

Thank you everybody who responded, for your kind wishes and prayers. Last night I just needed to vent and I’m glad I did. I’m not sure what else there is to say right now, and I don’t really want a pity party. And, God forbid, if fear should turn to mourning, I think I should do that privately.

I’m going to ask that this thread be locked, but I really, really, really do appreciate the emotional support provided. Even a handfull of words really meant a lot to me last night.