Are fish caught in the River Thames in England safe to eat?

Just curious. Wiki doesn’t say. Are creatures from the River Thames (pronounced “Tims” I think) safely edible?

Interesting name origin BTW

I wouldn’t eat anything that swam in the Thames. Yuck.

I think it’s pronounced “tems,” BTW.

It is “tems” (at least to my accent).

I’ve eaten fish caught in the Thames, but from the upper reaches (upriver from Oxford). It’s just a small river near the source, with no upstream industry. Why wouldn’t you eat fish from there?

Some London restaurants currently seem to think it’s OK:

[Note that it doesn’t identify the restuarants, or say in which stretch of the Thames the fish are caught.]

Here ya go:

[The M25 is a ring road around London, similar to the Beltway encircling Washington, DC.]

To most Americans, there’s a lot of “i” in there, coming from most English. Then again, I can’t understand what your vendetta is against the letter “r”.

The Thames is lovely around Abingdon and Henley… doesn’t resemble the huge waterway coursing through London. I’ve heard too many horror stories about the water quality around London, though I’m sure it’s improved.

And it’s definitely [tems], my fellow Americans. River Thames, not the Thames River.

Second that - I’ve been swimming in the Thames at Wallingford, Goring and Abingdon. It’s very clean and teeming with life up there - at Wallingford, I stood in waist-high water upon what I thought was a bed of round pebbles; when I picked on up, I found they were large freshwater mussels.

Even in the lower parts, the river has a reputation for being polluted that it no longer deserves - it’s now one of the cleanest rivers in Europe.

Well, there are lots of cormorants in the Thames round here, and they seem to be pretty healthy on a diet of Thames fish. Bearing in mind the amount of pollution in the North Sea, Channel and so on, I wouldn’t be surprised if even fish from the lower Thames are no worse than seafish.

Here in Oxford, where (even more confusingly than “Tems”) the Thames becomes the Isis while it runs through the city, there’s an infestation of North American crayfish that are wrecking the river environment. Fortuitously, they’re damn tasty, and there’s a huge craze going on at the moment to catch the buggers - seafood restaurants and so on have been dipping for them with greasy bacon on a piece of string. My colleague caught 12 the other day and ate them - one was the size of a lobster. He looks OK to me.

Saw these on Three Men In A Boat the other day (three comedians re-enacting Jerome K Jerome’s journey). They look great.

Read that book. It’s awesome.

I sought it out, bought it and took it on holiday with me, intending to read it, but the missus grabbed it and began it before me; she then gave up halfway and put it away somewhere. Grrr.

It is safe to eat fish caught by Marcus Thames.

(I have heard his name pronounced “tems” but the website says otherwise).

I heard a salmon was caught in the Thames, a few years ago-they were debating whether ot not to serve it to the Queen-apparently, that was one of the royal perks-they got the 1st salmon caught.

That is great. My family came from England to the U.S. a few hundred years ago and we made our way to Lousiana. Now I see that things go both ways. They are good although I can’t imagine an English cooked c-r-a-w-f-is-h. Please use lots of seasoning.