Do women like pantyhose?

I’ve noticed it’s become rarer to see women wearing pantyhose or stockings in everyday wear. On the few times I see a women wearing stockings, they also wear dress slacks. Every time I hear or read about women wearing pantyhose, they mention how much they hate it. Are there any women out there who actually enjoy wearing pantyhose? And to the women who wear stockings with dress slacks, why do you do it since you can barely notice the hose?

Often what you see when a woman is wearing dress slacks isn’t really full pantyhose. You can get knee-high nylons too, which is what I’d guess most of them are wearing under there, because it’s the top of the nylons that’s as unconfortable as hell (IMHO).

Why not wear socks? Because they’d look silly in those 3-inch heels. Why not go sockless? Don’t ask me, I’m usually the sockless one. :slight_smile:

Pantyhose is something you wear with a skirt. Now that self-tanners have gotten so much better, in summer we can get away with not wearing pantyhose under a light skirt or dress.
That leaves us with wearing pantyhose under skirts or dresses in fall and winter, and lately, fewer and fewer women wear skirts or dresses in the colder seasons.

My legs are very close and rub together - I can’t wear a skirt without pantyhose. Pantyhose is uncomfortable, runs easily, gets out of place, complicates bathroom runs, and you’re supposed to get it in a color that somehow combines with the rest of your ensemble.

I’ve just told you why I never wear a skirt.

Nava, if you do otherwise like skirts, you could do as I did. Sew an underskirt into a trousershape. Anti-chafe, cool in summer, warm in winter, and skirts fall beautifully over it. It makes an original and muchly appreciated present as well. Or buy pre-made pettipants. (The site was a tip from missbunny)

Also from that site: Chafe shield. WTF?

Nava, I have the same problem; it doesn’t matter how skinny I am, my legs rub together. But I love skirts, so I buy them anyway and rarely wear them. I wonder if I just sucked it up and let the chafing happen if I would sort of get used to it and it wouldn’t bother me. Anyone tried?

I hate 'em. Only wear pants and socks. No pantyhose, no knee highs, not ever. Awful things, no doubt invented as torture devices.

I think that’s for men. Certain sports, like cycling, or running, can thicken men’s inner thigh muscles and cause chafing. Some men, just like women, just have more more body fat on their thighs. Most men use talcum powder or special products for athletes, and this garment is another possible remedy.

No. It gets worse. But if you are skinnyish and you don’t want to wear odd garments to wear skirts, try something I learned when I was running. Bodyglide. For example, here

Looks like a roll-on deodorant, keeps chafing surfaces sliding past eachother. Because things chafe when you run that never chafed when you did ANYTHING else… and bronzed muscular gods of marathons know all about the problem.

I am sure there are competitors with similar substances… didn’t happen to encounter them before the foot problem forced a stop to the running. (Alas!)

Monistat actually put out an anti-chafing cream specificially marketed for women. That stuff’s a lifesaver.

Pantyhose are the tool of the devil. I’m am a pettipant girl myself and wear them all the time. Thanks for the site, Masstricht! In the winter, I usually wear cotton/lycra tights which are nowhere near as binding as pantyhose, or if the dress/skirt is long enough (I like long, full skirts and dresses), pettipants and kneehighs. Which I realize is hideous and grandma-ish but no one will ever know unless I get hit by a bus and I’m extra careful on those days! I do wear kneehighs with trousers because my feet blister easily in shoes without socks. Several years ago, I had a boss (female) who refused to let any female employee come to work without pantyhose or wear shoes without socks. She felt it was unprofessional. Other than that, she was a lovely woman. Just stuck in the dark ages.

I don’t mind them at all. When I wore dresses, I always wore pantyhose. They cover flaws and they’re stretchy and flexible, so they’re not constricting for me at all.

looks both sides

My problem with those is two-fold.

1. I inherited Mom’s thighs.
  2. She lives nearby.

A lot of my summer sleeping shirts are the tops of pajamas… she uses the bottoms as pettipants and steals any pettipants I buy!

I have one dress I wear, but generally avoid skirts. It’s either that or call the cops.

I hate them, too. I don’t mind stockings quite as much, and will almost always wear them. I don’t wear skirts short enough to show the tops, so I wear them with skirts, too. And honestly I try to avoid stockings, too.

Pantyhose are a curse. However, I find what is called tights are not as uncomfortable. They are thicker, and very soft, and nice and warm for when I have to wear them in the winter.

I don’t mind them. What bothers me is how often I need to replace them. That’s annoying. I try to think of them as just another disposable product, but I’m still annoyed.

One thing I do like is that they do add just a little warmth. I will sometimes wear them (full length hose, not just the knee-highs) under pants for this reason. Obviously, I’m not saying that a pair of panty hose will keep you warm out of doors in the winter, but if my office is a little chilly, pantyhose under slacks can make the difference between comfortable and not.

Pantyhose are the work of the devil, and I have no truck with Satan.

They’re uncomfortable, entirely too warm for summer, insufficiently warm for winter, and unfashionable as well. (Try to remember the last time you saw a picture of a woman who was wearing pantyhose that wasn’t a pantyhose ad.) Oh, and anyone caught wearing them with sandals should have their right to dress themselves suspended immediately.

If they were more durable and less prone to running at the slightest provocation, I’d wear them more often. But they ARE a pain. A pain to put on, a pain to deal with when you have to pee, a pain to worry about overall.

I’m very, very white. Not tanned at all. And I wear skirts pretty regularly. I do not wear pantyhose EVER. If someone gets offended by my white, white legs, they can damn well look elsewhere.

Sometimes I wear them, sometimes I don’t. Depends which dress, which shoes, and whether I’ve shaved lately. I don’t find them very uncomfortable, but I prefer to go without in summer. I do like tights in winter.

I have one pair of shoes that is just a little bit tight, and wearing pantyhose makes them fit better!

My problem as well - hate spending $4-10 for something I’ll wear once before they are trashed beyond recognition. I’d rather not wear that many waistbands, but if you layer the waistbands properly, they aren’t all sitting on your waist and it isn’t bad (undies, hose, skirst, becomes undies at him, hose and a skirt that isn’t tight).

There are always garter belts as well for those “can’t stand the waistband” moments.

I’ll wear them if I have to look really dressy, but I’m really no big fan of pantyhose! They’re itchy, and always get runs.