Ask the Street Fighter master

I’m not sure this’ll garner any answers, but what the heck! I have to celebrate my current 3rd position on the SF2 turbo hyperfighting leaderboards. For those of you who didn’t know, it’s an xbox 360 arcade game playable online.

I began playing the series when Street Fighter 1 came out. I didn’t like it. I loved Street Fighter 2 and was hooked on fighting games. Along the years, I played SF2, SF2CE, SF2Turbo, SSF2, SFA, SFA2,SFA3, EX1,EX2 and 3s and tried pretty much all the other versions. I guess I’ve basically played street fighter for 15 years now.

As far as skill go, Don’t be fooled by my 3rd place. I’m really somewhere in the Top100 players in Florida. Still, I’m pretty good.

Who’s your main character? And why?

Awesome. I became hooked on SF2 in the arcades when I saw a guy taking on challengers playing Chun Li…with one hand.

And winning.

(Congrats, BTW)

What do you think of the phenomenon of most people playing Shotokan (or Shotokan equivalents) exclusively? Me, I’m damn tired of it. Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Morrigan, Dimitri, ALL of them. The only ones I appreciate are the ones based off the Shotokaners, but aren’t as annoying, like Sakura, Dan, and Sean.

And to follow up on one of the previous questions, what’s your favorite style of character?

What characters do you think are underplayed, or for some other reason don’t get a fair break? (I’m sympathetic towards Alex, who was supposed to be the main character of SF3 - but that just may be my anti-Shotokan prejudice again.)

Ever play other fighting games? Favorites?

That depends on the iteration. In hyperfighting,my mains are Ryu,Ken, Chunli, Guile and Blanka.

But I can use every character in the roster pretty well. And I do it often because otherwise, I get bored.

Aha, we have a connoisseur among us. Yes, I do wish more people played alternate characters. It would make things more fresh and interesting. The characters you mentionned are all different enough from the shotokaners to force players to use completely different strategies. I guess that’s why you don’t find them as annoying.

I don’t have one. I’ll go through phases and prefer different styles for limited periods of time.

Well, players will usually pick “top tier” characters more often than not. Thankfully, there are always people who are really good with the pariah characters. I try to play those as much as I can and I, myself, have made Remy my main in 3s because his coolness should not go unrewarded!

Absolutely. I’ve had many favorites along the years of course. In no particular order:

3rd Strike
Alpha 3
SF2CE (I’m partial to CE as I’ve played it more than any other SF except world warriors. And that one was broken :))
Samurai Shodown 4
Samurai Shodown 2
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Real Bout Fatal Fury something something
Last Blade 2
Fatal Fury Special
KOF 94,95,97,98,99,2k3
AOF3 (It had some really cool animations but it wasn’t the greatest game)
Mortal Kombat 2 (Such a huge leap above MK1, still not a great game though)
Tekken,2,3

Notably absent are Virtua fighter, cvs2, marvel vs series and guilty gear series. Nothing in particular against them, I just didn’t have the opportunity to play them.

Is there a character/style which is consistantly “best”? That is, at the World Championships of Street Fighter, does the guy who wins use Ryu/Ryu clone every year, or is there some variation? Also, how do you feel about the increasing complexity with each new evolution? I ask because I could hold my own* playing Chun-Li not knowing basically any combination moves (back in the SF alpha 3 days) but now it seems like every fighting game has way more combos and you have two or three characters per side who you can switch out and have come in and save your bacon…

sinjin

• Of course, this probably says more about the class of players I was playing against than my mad street fighter skillz. But for reference, there were a couple of people who could play through the whole game with only one quarter. I defeated them with the cunning use of flags. And trying to play smart. :wink:

No, at championship level, the top tier characters change with the game’s iterations. For instance, DeeJay and sagat are very good in SS2T. Chunli, Ken and yun all have won 3s championships. The shoto players tend to consistently be in the Top5, however. That much is true.

Indeed. While I enjoyed the first marvel game, I must admit that the whole capcom superhero series was not released in a good time for me to practice. So, to this day, I’m not much into CVS2 or MVC. I prefer games like SFA3 or 3s. I do not wish to return to the simplicity of SF2 however. I like my supercombos and my throw cancels just fine :slight_smile:

sinjin

• Of course, this probably says more about the class of players I was playing against than my mad street fighter skillz. But for reference, there were a couple of people who could play through the whole game with only one quarter. I defeated them with the cunning use of flags. And trying to play smart. :wink:
    [/QUOTE]

Let me know when Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo (Grand Master Challenge) comes out on XBox Live Arcade.

Then I will:
(1) hook my 360 up to Live Arcade
(2) Purchase a fighting joystick
(3) Get back in practice
and
(4) CRUSH YOU LIKE A BUG!!!

Is there a ‘storyline’ you like best? And tangentally, is there a good place to find out the storylines without having to put out massive ammounts of change? When Street Fighter (the original) came out, I played it and wasn’t impressed, but when SF 2 came out and the characters had individual endings, I was intrigued. Now I understand there are all manner of interweaving story arcs, and I’d love to see what some of them are.

Oh, and is there any credence to the fact that M. Bison and … What’s his name? The boxer … Balrog? Got their names switched in the american translation, but it just sort-of stuck?

waves hand

Ooh, I know this one!

Once upon a time, there were three Street Fighters:
*A Flaming–I mean, Narcissist Spanish Bullfighter named Balrog
*A Caped Would-Be Dictator named Vega
*and a Vaguely African American Pugilist named Mike Bison

When the game was being ported to the States, some PC-sensitive editor worried that the name would cause negative controversy, so the names were shifted.

*Fruitcake Claw Guy -> Vega
*Psycho-Fister -> M. Bison
*Super Punch Out Reject -> Balrog

Don’t we all love Capcom continuity? :smiley:

What exactly is Ryu saying when he shoots the energy balls out of his hands?

Ha-Dou-Ken, as I understand it.

As kids, we always assumed Ryu was saying, “All the mucous!”

Naturally.

Also, when he spins around in the air 14 hillion jillion times and whaps people with his outstretched leg, we assumed he was saying, “Why eat the Squirrel Kid”. I mean, clearly he couldn’t be saying anything else.

I’ve either dreamed or actually seen the boxer’s name written on the game screen as “Barlog”. Am I mad?

And you probably would too. I’m not very proefficient at SSF2. At the time it was released, I was playing SNK games as they were better than the reheated stuff Capcom had to offer at that point. I didn’t get back into Street Fighter until Alpha2.

Did you ever play Street Fighter 2010 for the NES?

It was one of the first games I got for my Nintendo, and I’ll be damned if it isn’t one of the hardest games I’ve played to this day.

Reading the Wikipedia article, I see it’s only tangentially related to the arcade games, but it’s still a good play if you happen to have an old NES lying around and can find a copy.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I believe I’ll go find my copy of Street Fighter Alpha for my computer.

He says Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku. It means Tornado Whirlwind Kick.

Also, both Dotchan and MaxTheVool were correct earlier.

The correct name is definitely Balrog. Maybe you remember it wrong.

Nope. I forgot most of them. I normally only beat the game in arcade mode once with every character. From then on, it’s all Versus play so I don’t get to see them again. Not a big loss.

Oh, I’m sure you can find all kind of spoilers via google. If that fails, go to shoryuken.com and ask in the forums. Yeah, there are some “interweaving story arcs” but they’re nothing to write home about.

If you want to experience them firsthand, you can use an emulator and roms to play the games on your PC. There are some legitimate emulation services out there as well as a myriad of possibly illegal ones if you don’t know the original games.