Old 09-06-2006, 09:25 PM

You know you're hardcore Jersey when you get these...

Found this fun list on http://whatexit.org/. It has nothing to do with me, but I was surfing and googling and I found the site and then found his list. Here is an excerpt of it. Please Comment and add your own.
Quote:
You don't think of citrus when people mention "The Oranges".
You know that it's called Great Adventure, not Six Flags.
A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.
You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.
You've eaten at a Diner
You remember that the "Two Guys" were from Harrison.
You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery.
At least three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen
You know what a "jug handle" is. (Not a fat roll on the body)
You know that WaWa is a convenience store.
You know that the state isn't all farmland.
You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey - there's "The Shore". And you don't go "to the shore" - you go "down the Shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore" - you are "down the shore".
Jim
Old 09-06-2006, 10:25 PM

I love these. My friends and family love emailing me things like this to remind me of my traitor status.

The only thing I can add is that pork roll is a staple.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:55 AM

That's me, although we did go "to the Shore" and were "at the Shore".

I'll add that, despite al the ridicule people heap onn it, you do know what exit you're from.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:19 AM

And, What Exit?, lest you forget - when you actually live within a mile of it, it is still THE BEACH! Down the shore just shows off that you're not local.

Additions that I'd like to see:

You rue all Bennies, even when you are one.
You know where the Sandy Hook parking is for the nude beach.
You believe civilization stops at 195 (this works in both directions).
You say you're from Central Jersey, but people south of you say it's more like North Jersey, but the people up north say it's South Jersey.
You call community college 13th Grade.
You can't afford to buy a home in the same town you grew up in.
You instantly know the nearest "Good" mexican restaurant, pizza place, and italian ice (water ice) place in the immediate area. Even if you've only been there for about 20 minutes. Of course, none are as good as the shops in YOUR town.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

When people say "The City" you know what they mean

If someone says "I'm from New York City" they are lying.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 AM

You can negotiate your way around a circle.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Funny thing about WaWa. I've never been east of Columbus, at least not in the U.S., but there happened to be a WaWa travel mug knocking around our house. I had no idea what WaWa meant until I saw it mentioned in the New Yorker. My stepdaughter was going to school in NYC at the time and she must have brought it back with her on a visit.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:59 AM

You call Newark "Nork."

You insist there is no such thing as "road rage."

You are equally pissed off by thoughtless people as by outright rude ones. Maybe more so.

At least one person in your family not only loves Springsteen, but believes Springsteen controls his life.

You secretly consider New Yorkers rubes.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:09 AM

You pronounce the state capital "Trent'n"

You know the state capital is Trent'n.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky
And, What Exit?, lest you forget - when you actually live within a mile of it, it is still THE BEACH! Down the shore just shows off that you're not local.

Additions that I'd like to see:

You rue all Bennies, even when you are one.
You know where the Sandy Hook parking is for the nude beach.
You believe civilization stops at 195 (this works in both directions).
You say you're from Central Jersey, but people south of you say it's more like North Jersey, but the people up north say it's South Jersey.
You call community college 13th Grade.
You can't afford to buy a home in the same town you grew up in.
You instantly know the nearest "Good" mexican restaurant, pizza place, and italian ice (water ice) place in the immediate area. Even if you've only been there for about 20 minutes. Of course, none are as good as the shops in YOUR town.
Those are some great ones. The Bennies and Central Jersey ones are especially true for me. You mean Brookdale wasn't 13th grade?
Beware of Doug I love the New Yorkers as rubes, but partly jealousy there for me.
I am definitely more pissed off by the thoughtless than the rude. I understand rude and harried.

Jim
Old 09-07-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham

Don't forget Boon'n and Whar'n in Morris County

VCNJ~
Old 09-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

You would never say boGAta, and you know how to pronounce Moonachie (21 Jump St once had a character say "I lived in New Jersey all my life. We started out in MOONach--ie."
Old 09-07-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycat90
The only thing I can add is that pork roll is a staple.
You've been away too long. Or else you would know that we call it Taylor Ham.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:

You make fun of people who call their sons Trenton. Or Camden.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:58 PM
BANNED

If you're 'from Jersey'...

You know that 90% of the cops in Seaside all summer will be teaching gym at the HS come September.

You know that everyone south of 908 is a 'piney', everyone north of 908 is a 'benny' and everyone in 908 is confused. And 732? Hell, they're all just summer rentals and will be gone come October.

You know that 287 is meant to punish the Morris county rich who haven't died and gone to hell yet.

You know that we sold the Garden State Arts Center name to PNC so Whitman could balance one year's budget.

You know why Christie-Todd Whitman drove in a snow plow during winter storms.
(her broom was snowed in at her farm-subsidied estate mansion.)

You know that Ocean City is Philly-West from May to August and that LBI isn't a dead president from Texas.

You know that while the rest point fingers at 'down the shore', there's a reason why license plates from Quebec and Ontario head straight there every single year.

You know that 'Middletown' is just another word for 'Speedtrap'.

You know that up until a few years ago, the only place to get 'blue-berry champagne' was just outside of AC.

You'll have wondered, "New Gretna !? What the hell ever happened to the Old Gretna...?"

You'll know why there's a line outside of 'Delicious Orchards' on Rt 34 before every Thanksgiving.

You'll know that Brooke Shields, Demi Moore, Bruce Willis, Jack Nicholson, Christina Ricci, Kirsten Dunst, Tom Cruise, Whitney Houston, John Bonjovi, Anne Hathaway, Laura Prepon, Thomas Edison, Woodrow Wilson, and Grover Cleveland couldn't possibly have lived/grown up here.

You'll know that The Battle of Monmouth was the turning point of the Revolutionary War.

You'll know what number to bet at 'Union Jacks' to win a CD.

You'll know if there's a submarine parked in Hackensack or not.

You'll know that Gitmo detainees should instead be sentenced to merge endlessly from Rt 17 to Rt 4.

You'll know that the best way to stop fights at Veterans Stadium would have been by 16-inch shells from the USS New Jersey.

And Jets tickets vs Giants tickets: You'd know which you could bring your kids to and which you should bring a bat to.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
You'll know what number to bet at 'Union Jacks' to win a CD.
None of them. From far away it looks like you have a fighting chance, but up close, you realize there's a bazillion little divisions. And each one costs a buck to play.

Might as well play the stand a couple of places down the boards. At least you have a fighting chance of winning a Marshmallow Shooter (this year's knockoff prize).
Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher
You'll know why there's a line outside of 'Delicious Orchards' on Rt 34 before every Thanksgiving.
Ha!

I managed the bakery dept. of American Harvest in E. Brunswick for a few years immediately after it first opened, and helped form the dept./recipes/store/etc. We'd get a pretty hefty line every single Thanksgiving and Easter (and I got very little sleep the days and nights leading up to them.) The line would form an hour before we even opened (and there would usually be another line across the street at the Hess station on Thanksgiving for trucks.)

I think our two main competitors were Delicious Orchards and Mendoker's (which I grew up on, every Sunday after church we'd stop in Mendoker's.) The number one thing customers would tell me was that our items (pies, specifically) were better than Delicious Orchards. It made me glow every time.
If you've never had one of the Volcano Apple Pies hot out of the oven, you are truly missing out. I make sure to go in and say hi and get myself a pie whenever I go back.

OK, I thought of another one.

You know you're from Jersey if your parents have ever threatened to ship you off to Marlboro.

Well, OK, at least mine did.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And Jets tickets vs Giants tickets: You'd know which you could bring your kids to and which you should bring a bat to.
Hint: they're reversed.

D_Odds - native NYer, who not-so-secretly considers NJers 'small town hicks'
Old 09-07-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds
Hint: they're reversed.

D_Odds - native NYer, who not-so-secretly considers NJers 'small town hicks'
Yes, but compared to the City, everywhere but Chicago is a small town.

psycat90: I have had pies from all 3 and I would go with Delicious Orchards. It is also the best place I know in Central Jersey for Cheese and Fruits.

Count Blucher: Funny list, it is a shame the Middletown one is 100% true and not a joke. Why on earth did you leave Kevin Smith off your list?

Jim

I'll throw this in here, in case anyone missed it:
Jersey Area Dopers: Dopefest on Saturday the 16th of September
Old 09-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
Why on earth did you leave Kevin Smith off your list?
Speaking of --

You know exactly where the Quick Stop, Ice Palace and Secret Stash are located, and you know damn well that the mall in Mallrats is nowhere near Jersey.

Bonus: You know which is Popeye's favorite Jersey town.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:40 PM

You're hardcore Jersey if the first time you saw the opening credits to The Sopranos you laughed your ass off. A recognized at least 95% of the locations. (I still say the finest representation of jersey on film in Buckaroo Banzai.)

Full disclosure: I have also been to Delicious Orchards, Mendoker's, and American Harvest. Sigh. Parents live in East Brunswick, sister used to live in Jamesburg. The nearest good Mexican food is in New Brunswick.

Sandy Hook, parking lot G, make a right. Naked people.

I just spent a sunny week in a little house in Ortley Beach with my folksand my daughter. I haven't been down that stretch of Route 35 in a long-ass time, and I was struck that some of the little towns are exactly as they were 30 years ago (Chadwick Beach, I think, was still wall-to-wall tiny little bungalows) while some have seemingly been almost complete turned over into McMansions and little apartment buidlings.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston
Speaking of --

You know exactly where the Quick Stop, Ice Palace and Secret Stash are located, and you know damn well that the mall in Mallrats is nowhere near Jersey.

Bonus: You know which is Popeye's favorite Jersey town.
About time you showed up.

You got me on the Popeye one, what is it?

BTW: The Secret Stash is in its second location now. It is on Broad Street now, the original was of course on Monmouth St.

Jim
Old 09-07-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
(I still say the finest representation of jersey on film in Buckaroo Banzai.)
Yeah. Right. Like "New Brunswick City Hall", and the Yoyodyne Plant that, by itself, is bigger than the district of Grover's Mill. With freakin' palm trees outside it . (In New Jersey. Right)
Old 09-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
You got me on the Popeye one, what is it?
Why, it's --
SPOILER:
Mount Olive
of course!

Ahhh, guh guh guh guh!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Why, it's --
SPOILER:
Mount Olive
of course!

Ahhh, guh guh guh guh!
D'oh, and to think I asked for that.

Jim
Old 09-07-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichbin Dubist
You're hardcore Jersey if the first time you saw the opening credits to The Sopranos you laughed your ass off.
You know you're from western Essex county if you're late for everything because there's an effing Sopranos film crew in your way.

The Sopranos, by the way, live in the neighborhood I grew up in.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:44 PM

145. 'nuff said
Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 PM

Ok, never been to Jersey, except maybe the airport but here's my story.

Many years ago when I was in the Air Force, we were at one of those excruciating day long training events about political correctness. for starters we did one of those around the room introductions, first guy from Jersey says "I'm from Jersy." Down the row a ways the 2nd guy says "condolences, I'm from Jersey too." Down the row some more 3rd guy shares his Jersey condonlences and the 1st guy says "what are you talking about, I love Jersy."

Ok, so later in the day the sergeant doing this lecture Has chosen Jersey #1 and is laying into him in a manner designed to piss anybody off. I could tell that most of the people in the room where getting angy even though it wasn't being directed at us, and we knew that's what he was trying to do, the sgt. was african american, and clearly trying to provoke th N-word. So this winds up with the sgt. saying something like "and this ends our meeting because I have an appointment." Then he normalizes his voice and asks "how are you going to handle that?" Jersy #1 says "I think you're going to be late for you appointment, 'cuz you're going to have 4 flat tires."

I took awhile for the laughter to die down, and hours later the sgt. was like "I can't believe you said that." What a hoot.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:18 AM

The street you grew up on is named in a Springsteen song.

You've driven over the bridge where Eddie Wilson died a thousand times.

You know where there's a stoplight on the Garden State Parkway.

You can find redeeming values in Jon Bon Jovi.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:46 AM

You're on the West Coast and end up in a bar whose schtick is to have incredibly rude waitresses who constantly insult the customers. Except you don't get the joke because you think they're just being cheerful and outgoing.

And you have no idea how much I miss Mendoker's...
Old 09-08-2006, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah. Right. Like "New Brunswick City Hall", and the Yoyodyne Plant that, by itself, is bigger than the district of Grover's Mill. With freakin' palm trees outside it . (In New Jersey. Right)
It's the thought that counts. Monkey boy.

I never saw the "Harold and Kumar" movie, doesn't it have the same problem? Besides the Sopranos, does any movie or TV show set in Jersey make any efforts to film there? Garden State had some real Essex and Morris County exteriors, if I remember correctly. House seems really un-Princetony to me, but I've only seen it a few times.

[Favorite old school Jersey inside joke: a friend's mom saw ex-governor Brendan Byrne give a speech somewhere. At some point he claimed to be Italian-American, saying "After all, I have an Italian last name." Everyone started at him. "Brendan Byrnearena!"]
Old 09-08-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merhouse
145. 'nuff said
What about East Orange?
Quote:
Originally Posted by furt
You can find redeeming values in Jon Bon Jovi.
Well he is a huge Giant fan, he constantly does fund raising events for various Jersey causes, he is a fair actor, he sounds like a nice guy in interviews, I met him once and we talked Giants and baseball rather than music, great guy. I did not realize it was him until some younger women ran over for his autograph.
Then I hear his music and I remember what crap it is.

Ichbin Dubist: Even Clerks II only had a few scenes from NJ, all the exteriors at the Mooby's were in Southern California. Clerks was completely filmed in NJ however.

Jim
Old 09-08-2006, 09:20 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
I never saw the "Harold and Kumar" movie, doesn't it have the same problem? Besides the Sopranos, does any movie or TV show set in Jersey make any efforts to film there? Garden State had some real Essex and Morris County exteriors, if I remember correctly. House seems really un-Princetony to me, but I've only seen it a few times.

My damn post got eaten, must have been the Jersey Devil.

Hey there's one, you know that the hockey team isn't named after Satan.

Harold and Kumar got a lot wrong but it still made me homesick. I saw it in a military theater while I was deployed. Just to here them say they were going to New Brunswick (the city of my birth) and seeing the highway sign for it made my day. Of course they got most of it wrong. I don't remember a White Castle in New Brunswick. If there was one and that one was closed wouldn't you rather go to Green Brook or South Plainfield instead of going all the way to Cherry Hill?

Other than that it is worth it to see Neil Patrick Harris in his greatest role as...Neil Patrick Harris.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach
If there was one and that one was closed wouldn't you rather go to Green Brook or South Plainfield instead of going all the way to Cherry Hill?
I was just upset that they went all the way to New Brunswick when they could have got to the one on Route 17 in Carlstadt. Or even the one in Clifton.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
...snip...
I don't remember a White Castle in New Brunswick. If there was one and that one was closed wouldn't you rather go to Green Brook or South Plainfield instead of going all the way to Cherry Hill?
Hey the White Castle on Rt 1 is just off the Parkway, I kept thinking that was the easiest one to get to. (Exit 130 in Metuchen)

additional Jersey rule:
You have actually been to the Pony* more than once.
Bonus points: and actually seen Bruce play there.

Jim

* Of course all hardcore Jersey people know the Pony means the "Stone Pony" in Asbury Park.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
What about East Orange?

Jim
Well, besides living in EO a zillion years ago (but at 147) , that is "the" answer to your name, ya know

Now I don't live near any exit at all
Old 09-08-2006, 10:43 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merhouse

Now I don't live near any exit at all
Me too, I'm in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You have actually been to the Pony* more than once.
I've been on stage at the Pony twice, do I win the thread? No Bruce, though. Ah, you have to love Asbury Park. If your two big enthusiasms are salt water taffy and crack, it's heaven.

I prefer all the other weird hamburger joints whose names begin with "White" to White Castle. Manna and Rose for starters.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I've been on stage at the Pony twice, do I win the thread? No Bruce, though. Ah, you have to love Asbury Park. If your two big enthusiasms are salt water taffy and crack, it's heaven.

I prefer all the other weird hamburger joints whose names begin with "White" to White Castle. Manna and Rose for starters.
If you played on the stage, I gladly give you the thread.
Just tell me when and what group? I might have been there.

I've been on stage more than once, but simply to help move stuff between acts for the Jazz & Blues Festival and a Clearwater Xmas Benefit around 1990.
I would guess I have been to the Pony somewhere over 50 and under 100 times.
I got pressed into security where they "made" me help form a human wall around the stage while Bruce was playing. That was pretty cool. He kept the Pony open well past 3am and the Police did not care.
The Pony is going away now, I have not been there for at least 8 years but I am still sad that it is going. It might already be gone, I am not sure.

Who remembers the Haunted Mansion on the Long Branch Pier, for that matter who remembers the Long Branch Pier?

Jim
Old 09-08-2006, 11:16 AM

I see we've managed to sucker in Hal Briston, so let's go a little more obscure:

You know where to get "real" blueberries in Ocean County.
New Egypt ain't a state like New Mexico, and it sure as hell ain't Plumstead!
You've been to the "cranberry festival" and see no problem with eating cranberries raw.
Thanksgivings always have Laird's Applejack in the cider. You know, for taste. Honestly.
You've played the one last slot to try and get toll money.
You knew how to get to Belmar from the Parkway without paying a toll.
Like everyone else at Stockton, you hate the smell of pine. (Aahhh... the good old days of Pine Tuna Fish, Pine Pepsi, and some Pine Chocolate Pudding!)
You've thought that Cape May in the winter was a good idea at one time.
7-11s seem to attract crowds, but only in the summer.
You know there are only 3 teeth in all of Keansburg.
East Windsor is MUCH different than West Windsor.
You've been on a school trip to High Point, Walpack, or both.
You have something with the name of Stockton State, Glassboro State, Trenton State, Upsala, or Montclair State College lying around your house.
Whipporwhill Valley Road. Nuff said.
When people say The Driscoll Bridge, you get a look like deer in the headlights, until they explain it's the "one on the parkway"
Speaking of which, C-A-R-B-O-R-U-N-D-U-M. CARBORUNDUM. CARBORUNDUM. C-A-R....
Red Bank Register. Now it's doctor's offices.
You know the paper Geraldo had a piece of.
You've eaten at either a Vic's or a Vito's at least twice.
Diner food is the only food you can get since Denny's closed. Only one IHOP existed in NJ at the time.

As an aside: What's the difference between class and being some rich a-hole? Bruce answered the door to sign for his own UPS packages. Jon couldn't be bothered, even though we needed HIS signature on the diad. House is decorated like shit, too. Italian reproductions of French baroque. His wife did all the decorating.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Who remembers the Haunted Mansion on the Long Branch Pier, for that matter who remembers the Long Branch Pier?
Me!
I loved that place and was so so sad when it burned down.
My family had a beach house in Sea Bright and we'd spend a couple of weeks and most weekends down the shore during the summers.

I would be on the Long Branch Pier and in the Haunted Mansion almost every night. It was so awesome. The actors were much more brazen back then, they'd really jump out at you, touch you, etc. The rat tails at the exit creeped me out every time and I loved it. There's a really awesome website with info on the mansion (including a link to the music that played outside!) Dark in the Park And we'd watch the fireworks on 4th of July from the pier. Fun times.

I'm sad about the Pony, lots of good memories of that place, and I was really sad when Palace Amusements closed. We spent every Easter in Sea Bright/Asbury Park, walking in the parade, riding the rides, playing games. So fun.

I highly recommend the book 4th of July, Asbury Park, I thought it was a really interesting and fairly quick read.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draelin
I was just upset that they went all the way to New Brunswick when they could have got to the one on Route 17 in Carlstadt. Or even the one in Clifton.
There are those, but the huge one in Edison off Rt1 (Menlo park mall area) is probably what they meant. Of course, for real white castle goodness, you have to visit either the one of MLK Blvd in Newark or the one at Newark & Kennedy 'On The Square' in Jersey City.

PS- the one in Elizabeth is way too clean & shiny to be a real White Castle.

And the one at the corner of Pompton & Bloomfield Avenues is a Lexus dealership now.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
There are those, but the huge one in Edison off Rt1 (Menlo park mall area) is probably what they meant. Of course, for real white castle goodness, you have to visit either the one of MLK Blvd in Newark or the one at Newark & Kennedy 'On The Square' in Jersey City.

And the one at the corner of Pompton & Bloomfield Avenues is a Lexus dealership now.
The Rt 1 Edison one is the I mentioned earlier, it is really Metuchen.

The one down in Toms River is a little disappointing, but the one in Eatontown has always been good. The day it opened there was a huge line of us outside, I think we were all displaced New Yorkers and North Jersians. The line was downright silly, it looked like a movie opening in a large city.
I also used to go to the one in South Plainfield and the one on Rt9 in Oldbridge.

Count, what part of Jersey are you in?

Jim
Old 09-08-2006, 01:08 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:

The better choice would be the White Rose System, Rt514 Highland Park. Think giant White Castles fried up by ex-cons.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
House seems really un-Princetony to me, but I've only seen it a few times.
At least the external shots are of the Princeton campus. The "hospital" is Frist Campus Center, and the white building with pillars is the Woodrow Wilson building.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Rt 1 Edison one is the I mentioned earlier, it is really Metuchen.

The one down in Toms River is a little disappointing, but the one in Eatontown has always been good. The day it opened there was a huge line of us outside, I think we were all displaced New Yorkers and North Jersians. The line was downright silly, it looked like a movie opening in a large city.
I also used to go to the one in South Plainfield and the one on Rt9 in Oldbridge.

Count, what part of Jersey are you in?

Jim
I'm closer to the Clifton White Caste than any of the others mentioned, but I work in Jersey City. I went to school near both the White Rose and the Metuchen one. i learned to go exactly 25mph thru Highland Park.

Forgot to mention: there's always some movie or TV show filming in Glen Ridge. This is ironic only because Glen Ridge is itself a movie set. Its one long road with big houses, and it hides all the poorer small ones on side streets behind them.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
That was the one we always went to when I was a kid. But I could have sworn it was an Acura dealership.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I was just down that way about a week ago. I didn't have time to go looking for the Quick Stop, but I went to the Secret Stash. Bought a Berserker "F*ck Your Yankee Blue Jeans" tour shirt from Walt Flanagan himself.

But I have a Jersey question, and can't think of any better place to ask it. The exit from the Garden State Parkway had two toll booths, one for transponders (whatever they call the system down there) and one for exact change. What are you supposed to do if you have neither?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky
You know where to get "real" blueberries in Ocean County.
I'm blanking on his name, but my parents knew the guy who did the first significant work on developing commercial cultivation for blueberries (and they got u-pick berries at his farm, of course). Before that, the local term for blueberries was "swamp huckleberries".
Quote:
New Egypt ain't a state like New Mexico, and it sure as hell ain't Plumstead!
And it's actually pronounced "New Egyp".
Quote:
East Windsor is MUCH different than West Windsor.
And they're both verrrry different from Windsor.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The better choice would be the White Rose System, Rt514 Highland Park. Think giant White Castles fried up by ex-cons.
Delicious, although their burgers are totally not like White Castles. There's one in Roselle Park as well. White Diamond off of Exit 135 is also pretty damn good.

Quote:
A few years ago, they renovated this one and then the one in Union on Rt. 22. Both are equidistant from my house. What's interesting is that they basically knocked them both down, moved them about 150 feet (to where the parking lot used to be) , and then rebuilt them without any noticable benefit. And then they moved the parking lot to where the old ones used to be. Whoever's managing this has got to be fired. There has to be a substantially cheaper way to accomplish these renovations.